Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well done Engerland

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2001, 11:39 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Can't believe no-one's mentioned it already, so I thought I would.

Excellent match. England played like a team who have a chance of qualifying.

And who cares what Beckham does to his hair when he produces *another* brilliant goal from a free kick.

Roll on Sept 1st

Old 07 June 2001, 11:56 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

amen to that. the last two matches has seen beckham come up with free kicks that put people like roberto carlos to shame.

i dont support man utd (no way man) but beckham is world class !

Old 07 June 2001, 02:03 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

Our team ain't half bad is it?

A few points:

Heskey was frustrating to watch as ever - he is being asked too much to play left midfield at this level, credit for the 1st goal mind

Cole: A few heart in mouth moments but dealt with Ferdinands only lapse in a way Graeme le Saux will never know...at last we have a real left back.

Gerrard: Better than Keane IMO age for age, my man of the match. With him and Scoles gelling so well the team now has a decent spine. Difficult to replace when he's injured

Fowler: there is a god! Hard luck Andrew Cole, bring a cushion to Germany...

Seamen : err, nice hair

Beckham : brilliant, as ever.

Great team performance, you can only beat whats in front of you etc etc...A better team will concentrate all play down our left flank, keeping our captain quiet blah blah. I'm sure Eriksson is aware of this

I've always said we'll win 2006....

Justin
Old 07 June 2001, 07:37 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep

I agree - fab match - they actually played like a team. Still not sure about Neville (but I'll give hime some credit for the first goal). Got to agree with Justin - can't see anyway in for Andy Cole when you have Fowler playing this well. I thought Ferdinand was outstanding (only one small mistake) and Beckham's goal was sublime.

Good work fellas

Chris
Old 07 June 2001, 08:00 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Hmm, wait till Fowler joins to play up alonside Van Nisterlroy Then you will have a first class England Striker....

Andy Cole is someone who will be an Ian Rush for United. Certainly not an Alan Shearer for England or a Van Basten for Holland.

We look strong in places but lack that burning passion we had in Euro 96'

I think Gerrard needs to play alongside Jamie Redknapp next year, and play the tough guy...put on a few pounds in weight and we have ourselves another Duncan Edwards there...

Becks is doing his stuff, I chuckle at the ****ers who abused him about his child and his missus (we all would so dont cuss her) and now they are chearing him like he is one of their own... Hes got what we all want, except maybe that haircut In a years time, when he can speak properly and spends some time with Cantona coaching United (not confirmed, but hes been seen at OT this week) I think you will see a more mature player and personality...he thrives on the challenge.

I do think however Seaman may be at deaths door in footy soon. Wenger has bid for some Polish geezer to replace him at Arsenal and without consistently good team performances he may be going via "svens young approach"...

But can anyone replace him? I have'nt seen a quality keeper since Peter Shilton in an England shirt. Nigel Martyn should join Arsenal...and become Seaman MK2... David "calamaty" James?...I think he is good...

And then there is the Phil Neville debate, you can ask the united followers this season what we think of our Phil... Perhaps he should get together with his equally ugly counterpart Luke Chadwick and his game may step up a a gear...but then we said this with Yorke and Jordan....

Ah the Joys of being a footy pundit

Old 07 June 2001, 09:07 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Germany next so don't talk about the war

Well done England.

I'm still thinking that it's a stupid haircut for our teams captain tho

David
Old 08 June 2001, 12:04 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Much as it pains me to say it, Beckham is a superb captain.

It's already been said that he was inspirational, but his attitude is absolutely spot on. Chasing everything, from every ball through to running to take throw-ins, you name it.

You could see this rub off on the rest of the team at around 60 minutes (I think) when heads were down and I was shouting at the telly

And that free kick... Talk about how to make a goalie look stupid.

How long before the backlash against Sven starts then? Are the bookies taking bets?
Old 08 June 2001, 12:11 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

>How long before the backlash against Sven starts then? Are the bookies taking bets?

I reckon 0.0001 of a second after England next lose...
Old 08 June 2001, 12:24 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

Anyone read the quote from Beckenbaur (sp?) on SkySports...reckons Germany (where's the spitting smilie!!!!) are already qualified and we cannot possibly beat them at home.

Anyone able to get tickets for this little trip as I'd be available to let the "Kaiser" know exactly what it's like to be humbled by a team that now has the belief to win games.

Yex
Old 08 June 2001, 01:33 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Agreed, England did play well, but I did start to get a little nervous when we were only one-nil up and they started pushing a bit more.

I'm afraid I loathe Man U. but I have to say that Beckham takes the p***. If you look at him closely when he takes a free-kick it looks absolutely superb. He is an unbelievable player and is quite rightly the England captain. He leads by example. Committment is 100%.

BTW, Ronnie, not sure if you watch SkySports.com, but they say that Cantona is as good as yours. Even had Giggs saying how good it is that Cantona is on board at O.T.

With regard to Phil Neville, no offence, but I'd rather have Big Bird from Sesame Street play in place of PN. Isn't as bad as some make out, but there are better right-back players than PN. What about Carragher (sp?)? Has played well and he's being played out of position.

Also, agree that David James is a good keeper (and I'm not being biased). Have a season ticket to Villa and 99% of the time he looks very assured. Claims the ball well and an excellent shot stopper. Also looks the part in goal, if you know what I mean? - 6ft 5in.

Feel that these are very exciting times for England, but I fear that we do lack a certain something, like that Euro '96 hunger, etc.

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Keegan resigning has been the best thing to happen to English football in quite a while, IMO, i.e. Erikkson being appointed. Quality manager.

[This message has been edited by Tom Evans (edited 08 June 2001).]