Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Offence codes on your licence

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2005, 01:33 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offence codes on your licence

The Telegraph today reports that motorists done for speeding are frequently having the incorrect offence code of SP60 applied to their licence rather than the correct SP30 which is normal for offences on non-motorway roads.

The 30 and 60 in the offence code do not refer to the speed limit on the road at the time, they indicate totally different types of offence. Insurance companies are not so keen on the SP60 code and so if you have been done for speeding you should ensure that you have had the correct code applied to your licence. Paul Smith at Safe Speed has a table of offence codes here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/pr234.xls

Note that SP60 doesn't appear on this, probably because it is an "undefined" speeding offence which is probably why the insurance companies don't like it.

Worth getting it sorted out if your offence code is incorrect, some companies may even refuse insurance if the offence is an SP60, and if you have been paying extra in insurance then you may have a case for compensation.
Old 20 August 2005, 01:38 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i work for a broker's and what you have said is completely true, i think it's down to the magistrate putting the wrong code(s) on maybe?An example i often see is 'driving without L plates' which is a PL10, yet most magistrates give drivers an LC20 which is 'driving in accordance with licence'
Old 20 August 2005, 02:12 PM
Nev
Scooby Regular

Might be talking complete ar*e here, but a friend of mine has just received a 14 day ban for 104 on the motorway....I'm pretty sure that the code that ends up on his licence is an SP60 - of course they could have got this wrong as well!

Nev
Old 20 August 2005, 04:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I would have thought this would have been an SP50 code for exceeding the speed on a motorway unless part of the "undefined" element of the SP60 is that it may be applied to drivers who have received a ban, this may explain why insurers don't like it for example. I am honestly not sure but would certainly have expected an SP50 in this case.
Old 20 August 2005, 04:49 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
i work for a broker's and what you have said is completely true, i think it's down to the magistrate putting the wrong code(s) on maybe?An example i often see is 'driving without L plates' which is a PL10, yet most magistrates give drivers an LC20 which is 'driving in accordance with licence'
If you are not displaying L plates, then you are driving otherwise than in accordance with your licence. PL10 is an obsolete offence, and is exceptionally rare that anyone will be prosecuted for this offence, it is usually prosecuted as an LC20, which in law, is perfectly correct.
Old 20 August 2005, 05:01 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I've got an SP60 on my licence for 92 on a NSL stretch of dual carriageway. Single officer in a T5 on VASCAR. (I was actually doing 81 as verified by my GPS but that's not for here...)

Anyway, when I got my licence back I queried the code with with Devon & Cornwall police, the officer's own station, the magistrates court and the "Speeding Ticket Office", whoever the hell they are. Basically each person referred me to one of the others so I went round and round in circles. Eventually I spoke to a girl who seemed helpful:

Me: "I have just got a fixed penalty speeding ticket and my licence has been endorsed with an SP60 and I want to know why it isn't the usual SP30."
Her: "Ah, ok don't worry I'll find out why you have that code, pease hold....."
Me: "Ok, thanks..."

5 minutes later....

Her: "It means you have an undefined speeding offense"
Me: grrrrrr!

On the plus side the insurance company treated it as an SP30 when I explained the circumstances and offered to fax them the ticket describing the offense.

One can only assume an "undefined" speeding offense means: "I've fitted you up, you know it, I know it and we know who the judge will believe"
Old 20 August 2005, 06:15 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Intersting. I got SP60 for 63 on a 50 limit dual carriageway. Will look in to that.

John.