Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone swapped over to blue-ray yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2008, 04:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone swapped over to blue-ray yet ?

Has anyone got the blue ray player and HD telly. Is that the end of buying normal dvd's, do you still watch the old ones, or do they now look poor in comparison.
Its still not mass market yet though.......
Old 27 December 2008, 04:56 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't but i do have a serious amount of HD-DVD's which i found to be a seriously better looking/sounding/performing product than Blu-ray. With looking around at the current titles avaliable on Blu-ray i doubt it'll be anytime soon before i start converting AGAIN!
Old 27 December 2008, 05:18 PM
bibicoz
Scooby Regular

have got blu ray movies that i have used in my PS3 coz thats a blu ray player have to admit the quality is spectacular but still watch standard dvd's
Old 27 December 2008, 05:27 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

got ps3
got 42" hd tv
bt aint bothered still to watch movies at home - not worth the money to buy the blu ray film, id rather go to the cinema, with the 9.99£ unlimited thinigie
Old 27 December 2008, 05:27 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

I have a PS3 and also a harmon / kardon receiver that upscales everything to HD 720p minimum i think the difference is worth the extra money.
Old 27 December 2008, 05:51 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

PS3, latest 46in Viera, Denon 2309 used as a processor for a full Naim set up.

Vision is very good, sound is spectacular on BluRay. Total experience. The Denon also acts as a brilliant input controller.

Blu ray is a real step up from DVD, although upscaled many DVDs are still very good (some are not brilliant though).
Old 27 December 2008, 05:56 PM
Nessie
Scooby Regular

Default Yup

Got one for xmas. Boyf wanted one. Very happy with the quality. Especially good on older films originally done on 35mm. Am now considering re buying Lawence of Arabia which was on super panavision 70 so am thinking that will look brilliant Hmmmmm will end up getting loads I guess. The problem is which to buy again. Have about 500 odd dvd's so its not going nto be cheap, guess I will have to be bit circumspect.
Old 27 December 2008, 07:22 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

they take ages to copy and I now need a bigger hard disk

Old 27 December 2008, 07:30 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

lol

got hd-dvd myself and will be getting a blu-ray player soon but will still keep playing and buyin normal dvds aswell
Old 27 December 2008, 07:38 PM
knobby_2000
Scooby Regular

I have a Sony Blue-Ray player... Have to say the quality is excellent and the sound is brilliant though surround, not sure if other players do this but the sony one downloads software to make standard dvd's look better when playing them and also extra content for other films ... Its the future!
Old 27 December 2008, 08:23 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Has anyone got the blue ray player and HD telly. Is that the end of buying normal dvd's, do you still watch the old ones, or do they now look poor in comparison.
Its still not mass market yet though.......
PS3 for blu-ray
Panasonic 50" HDTV + surround sound.

Would still watch normal DVD's though. Blu-ray is good but wouldnt stop me watching normal dvd's.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sony Blu_Ray here, but it's up-scaled DVD that has impressed me, Monsters,INC was sharp, but in 1080P it's awesome, ( a test disc recommended by an "****-video-forum" mate ).

dunx
Old 28 December 2008, 12:55 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Whats the difference between blu ray and HD 1080p ? and how can a normal definition DVD be upscaled? where does the extra information come from?
Old 28 December 2008, 01:09 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Upscaling dvd players are amazing

A normal dvd has loads more info on it that a normal dvd player doesn't use, but the upscalers can and do utilise it.

My samsung upscales to 1080i and looks ace on my 1080P Lcd tv.

Prefer it to my bro in laws ps3 bluray movies set up.

Best bit is, you don't need to replace your dvd collection!

I've heard bluray is going to be superceeded within 3-5 years anyway!
Old 28 December 2008, 09:43 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a PS3, have a 37 inch 1080P telly and sure, Blu-Ray looks pretty good but not enough of a leap to justify the price difference, I think I may notice after three days of watching Blu Ray DVD may have lost its lustre but I suspect it comes into its own on bigger screen sizes than 37.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:47 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I've got a 40" LCD, Blu ray player & HD player. I still watch old DVD's.
Old 28 December 2008, 10:29 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Moved over to buying Bluray completely now, wouldn't buy a DVD unless it was only ever going to be available in that format.

Blurays are about £15 online now so pretty much where DVDs were a few years back price wise which ain't too bad, they will come down fairly soon.

Still got about 350 DVDs, and won't be replacing them with Blurays so they will get watched. I have no problem with the quality of the DVDs on my plasma, I just know it's not HD.

I've only bought one duplicate so far and that's Day After Tomorrow which I thought would suit HD very well, and it did.

I love going to the cinema too but out of the three Cineworlds around me all have a problem with idiots talking, making phone calls etc Just can't understand why someone would spend £7 and then not watch a film Had some people chucked out, should do that more to be honest

Getting to be better watching films at home, which is sad.
Old 28 December 2008, 12:08 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i was allways thinking blueray would be another one of these one minute wonders, is it going to last then?
Old 28 December 2008, 01:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

nope

everybody is gearing up for digital downloads, despite what some blueray bandits would tell you otherwise
Old 28 December 2008, 01:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

People will always want to own their own permanent copy. Downloading only appeals to end users because its currently free: if the cost of discs was relatively comparable then thered be no contest. It appeals to the owners of course, because theyre greedy and they hope to get most of the money (and far more of the final sale price) for f*ck all.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:00 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I currently have about 650+ DVDs and 60+ BD/HD movies. Yes, I still watch the old ones but I will only buy a DVD for a classic that isnt out on BD yet.

I doubt I will ever be going for digital downloads unless they provide it in the same or better quality than they do on BD at the moment, which I doubt will happen for a good 5 or so years yet.

Much like digital music downloads at the moment, I still prefer to buy the CD and make my own encoding, as I can control the quality I need it, and not have it forced upon me by the industry. I also like being able to re-encode it in the future from the original CD as storage space on playback devices increases.

As for the difference between BD/DVD. Discounting sound, personally I find the story to be about 90% of the immersion and the visuals to be about 10%. If you switch to higher quality visuals you will still be getting the same story telling experience, but there will be that little extra bit of topping on there.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:30 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
nope

everybody is gearing up for digital downloads, despite what some blueray bandits would tell you otherwise
Everyone but BT, hi-def downloads with proper hi-def sound is years off, the infrastructure/speeds are not up to it yet. You can download SD content now but people still buy DVD's because they want to own something they can see and feel etc.

Plus your average man in the street is not going to have the PC skills let alone the storage to download and keep these films never mind work out how watch them once downloaded.

You would need at least 1TB to store a good amount of films, and what if your HHD fails? how many people know RAID etc
Old 28 December 2008, 09:32 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I download bluray x264 or WMV rips. HD and still free, woohoo. 1TB of storage, is what £80? so £160 gives complete redundancy if you care that much. Personally I only watch films once anyway.

20mb connection gives me a HD movie a little slower that going to blockbusters, around an hour to download.

Last edited by ScoTTyB; 28 December 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its a mistake to confuse what you like personally, for what will happen.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:38 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
You would need at least 1TB to store a good amount of films, and what if your HHD fails? how many people know RAID etc

Old 28 December 2008, 09:52 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

And your man in the street, he can set all that up can he? does he know what to do with those 2 cheap and nasty 80 quid drives he bought. Can he put them in a case and set them up in raid?

You may only watch once most people like to keep the film and watch it again. And how many people have a super fast download speed? not enough to warrant downloads taking over from shop sales

Downloading HD films instead of buying/renting them from a shop is years away.

Do your downloads have hi-def sound?
Old 28 December 2008, 09:54 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules

Nice but I think my Dad would have a few probs setting that up. He just buys his HD stuff from amazon.
Old 28 December 2008, 10:11 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
And your man in the street, he can set all that up can he? does he know what to do with those 2 cheap and nasty 80 quid drives he bought. Can he put them in a case and set them up in raid?

You may only watch once most people like to keep the film and watch it again. And how many people have a super fast download speed? not enough to warrant downloads taking over from shop sales

Downloading HD films instead of buying/renting them from a shop is years away.

Do your downloads have hi-def sound?
Yeah, it's really easy.
Old 28 December 2008, 11:03 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Yes, Blu Ray for me. Its not just about the picture but the HD sound formats through 5.1 sound which are very good.
The other selling point for me was the fact that I've just invested in a projector and with an eight foot wide image BR makes a BIG difference
Old 29 December 2008, 11:21 AM
j555 hks
Scooby Regular

hi all have a couple of questions .......
always been into films/dvds + s-round sound etc,
my kit includes a pioneer 43" XDE , samsung av reciever , denon dvd player + 7.1 speaker set up & over 300 dvds

so have been tempted withblue/ray but do i choose a PS3 or blue ray player (and which would be a good one at a reasonable price)

Quick Reply: Has anyone swapped over to blue-ray yet ?