Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do we need more CO2?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2009, 01:21 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we need more CO2?

As we are now obviously entering a terrifying new era of global cooling, should I now be driving round all weekend to try to boost CO2 levels in the atmosphere?
Old 06 February 2009, 01:29 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

That's what I thought, but then what if I do that all weekend and Monday is a bit warmer, would I then have the destruction of the planet on my conscience?
Old 06 February 2009, 01:32 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

oh I was under the impression that global warming had gone away - don't seem to hear anything in the news about it now - just the doom and gloom of a recession.

Richard
Old 06 February 2009, 01:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The authorities say that global warming means that we will have cold winters! That will doubtless be extended to cold summers too! Nothing like a bit of doublespeak!

Les
Old 06 February 2009, 01:46 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what would happen if all the trees died as they take in Co2. would we die as a result?
Old 06 February 2009, 01:49 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Methane is a far better greenhouse gas than CO2, and water vapour even better than that.

Subsequently I have been drinking Real Ale while eating soya mince, and wearing wet underwear.

It's getting very warm and wet around here, and there is a sign by me advising no naked flames.
Old 06 February 2009, 01:57 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

As far as I can make out, global warming means cold winters, and warm summers.

Nothing new there then!
Old 06 February 2009, 02:10 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Leslie
The authorities say that global warming means that we will have cold winters! That will doubtless be extended to cold summers too! Nothing like a bit of doublespeak!

Les
My thoughts exactly

30 years ago, those same "experts" were telling us every night on the TV that we were entering the next ice age. Doom and gloom! only 10% of the world's population could even hope to survive!

10 years ago, they were telling us that inside ten years, Britain would have a mediterranean climate and the med would be a deset. Seen any evidence of that yet? No, me neither.

Nor has my house, which is EXACTLY 2m above mean seal level, yet been underwater: yet ANOTHER thing these idiots forecast, apparently due to rising sea levels.

Face it: they DON'T KNOW!

And as for changing "global warming" to "climate change", just to keep up the taxes.............grrrrrrrrr!
Old 06 February 2009, 02:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

They stopped caling it global warming years ago and adopted the harder to challenge 'climate change'; didnt anyone notice?
Old 06 February 2009, 03:12 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We should be celebrating Guy Fawkes night every night and since water vapour is much effective than CO2 as a green house gas, lobby the Gov for car producers to force them to produce and sell more hydrogen fuel cell powered cars since their only emission is water vapour.
Old 06 February 2009, 03:22 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
We should be celebrating Guy Fawkes night every night and since water vapour is much effective than CO2 as a green house gas, lobby the Gov for car producers to force them to produce and sell more hydrogen fuel cell powered cars since their only emission is water vapour.

Water vapour does have an annoying habit of condensing and falling back to earth though. C02 doesn't of course.

Oh and yes methane is a signficant greenhouse gas, which is why people are worried about the perma frost melting
Old 06 February 2009, 03:30 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

The latest environMENTAL ad on the radio is advising people to drive at 50 rather than 70 on m/ways to save fuel and the planet. The worrying thing about it is the gullibles will think what a great idea it is and suddenly everyone is forced to slow to 50 because of tree huggers in the outside lane. I'm so sick of all the climate change pish now, it's bursting my head
Old 06 February 2009, 03:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I think my local McDonalds is trying to cut down on the CO2 because their coke is always flat
Old 06 February 2009, 04:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Water vapour does have an annoying habit of condensing and falling back to earth though. C02 doesn't of course.
Great, so we'll get flooded instead, lets build an Ark....
Old 06 February 2009, 04:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Oh and yes methane is a signficant greenhouse gas, which is why people are worried about the perma frost melting
Good job its getting cooler, increased snow fall, Arctic ice cap getting bigger.
Old 06 February 2009, 04:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Co2 forms only a tiny portion of the atmosphere and it isnt a very good greenhouse gas. Methane is harder to tax of course.....
Old 06 February 2009, 04:47 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

And since Carbon Dioxide is MANY times denser than the other gases in the atmosphere, it tends to be found bnear the earth's surface, so making it an even poorer greenhouse gas.
Old 06 February 2009, 08:04 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
The latest environMENTAL ad on the radio is advising people to drive at 50 rather than 70 on m/ways to save fuel and the planet. The worrying thing about it is the gullibles will think what a great idea it is and suddenly everyone is forced to slow to 50 because of tree huggers in the outside lane. I'm so sick of all the climate change pish now, it's bursting my head

They obviously don't know the law, min speed limit on motorways unless otherwise directed is 55 mph!

Anybody follows that advice, they run the risk of getting nicked and fined....

Oh wait.......... thats what the govt want aint it, another cash cow
Old 06 February 2009, 09:43 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

If global warming is for real this country will get colder as the stream from the Atlantic ocean that warms the country up will move south to France. If that happens we'll have snow on the ground from October to March due to the latitude.
Old 07 February 2009, 12:06 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Living in France ISN'T an option
Old 07 February 2009, 12:16 AM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell don't even think about introducing global cooling. It sounds worse than global warming and so we will end up being taxed twice as much

Vote Stalin and keep labour in power

'Things can only get worse'
Old 07 February 2009, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nevertheless, the water vapour is in the atmosphere before it turns into cloud and then rain, and carries on doing its bit up there. All paert of the natural balance which keeps the world at a survivable temperature.

CO2 is converted by plants for their own consumption releasing oxygen into the atmosphere. If there was no CO2 in the atmosphere, we would have no plants, and we would be living-or trying to-in a full ice age. We would quite likely run short of oxygen too.

Can you explain the question that most are asking now? Why is it that with no increase in global temperatures over the last ten years, and in fact a recent decrease, and an admission by NASA that earlier temperature measurements were inaccurate, and an increase of the sea ice at the Poles, that we have to keep on paying extra taxes with regard to CO2? Why too, if you must insist that global temperatures are increasing after all, are we experiencing colder summers and winters? Could it not be all due to the cyclical changes which have happened to the climate during so many years of the Planet's existence?

Les
Old 07 February 2009, 12:23 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Can you explain the question that most are asking now? Why is it that with no increase in global temperatures over the last ten years, and in fact a recent decrease, and an admission by NASA that earlier temperature measurements were inaccurate, and an increase of the sea ice at the Poles, that we have to keep on paying extra taxes with regard to CO2? Why too, if you must insist that global temperatures are increasing after all, are we experiencing colder summers and winters? Could it not be all due to the cyclical changes which have happened to the climate during so many years of the Planet's existence?

Les
Ssssssshhhhhhhh!
Under Nu Labia, you soon won't be able to ask questions like that anyway
Old 07 February 2009, 01:05 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
As we are now obviously entering a terrifying new era of global cooling, should I now be driving round all weekend to try to boost CO2 levels in the atmosphere?
If you recomend it to the Gov't, you should have some reply!

Actually if you had to pay to emit Co2...........wait a minute, we already do that!
Old 07 February 2009, 01:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Ssssssshhhhhhhh!
Under Nu Labia, you soon won't be able to ask questions like that anyway
Just one of those little things that worry me these days!

Les
Old 07 February 2009, 07:25 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Pictures are in from the latest Global Warming protest....

http://tinyurl.com/bxfeyb
Old 07 February 2009, 10:52 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I heard a rumor if you cook Al Gore on a slow roast oven he will release the required CO2 from all the bull**** inside him
Old 07 February 2009, 11:29 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Nevertheless, the water vapour is in the atmosphere before it turns into cloud and then rain, and carries on doing its bit up there. All paert of the natural balance which keeps the world at a survivable temperature.

CO2 is converted by plants for their own consumption releasing oxygen into the atmosphere. If there was no CO2 in the atmosphere, we would have no plants, and we would be living-or trying to-in a full ice age. We would quite likely run short of oxygen too.

Les
Hmmm

When did anyone say we don't need CO2 in the atmosphere? We could do with a few more trees though.

Which taxes do you mean less?

As why temps haven't increased in the past TWO years Not 10 btw, I don't know although there are theories about El Nino and Solar activity supressing global warming impacts. Of course it could all be a load of rubbish, but then again niether of us know enough to say either way. I'm just get riled by breath taking arrogance of people who just say it's not real, when they CANNOT POSSIBLY KNOW.

BTW just ask those folks in Australia battling fires and 46C temps about our cold summers!

Quick Reply: Do we need more CO2?