Speeding update

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2009, 12:18 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speeding update

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...s-my-road.html

Following on from the thread above, I have been busy in trying to slow down people on our road. Mixed results but some interesting observations.

I have written and emailed the safer roads organisation for our local area and they are in the middle of doing a survey and assesment of the road, however that can take anything from 6-9 months !!
Anyway at least they are responsive and seem to be doing something about it.

As for a response from the local police etc, nothing and they still seem to be uninterested.

So in an effort to gauge how badly the level of speeding is and to be fairly proactive about this issue ( for proactive, read got mad and may get lamped at any moment ), I have purchased one of these items

Does a cracking job and measures in KPH and MPH. I have tested it by calibrating how quick the kids can run down the garden..blimey those little monsters can really shift !!!

Anyway whilst I was on a roll and in my Victor Meldrew mood, I found this online for a bargain of 99p

So far, I have not used the jacket but who knows, it may prove useful in the future..i.e when it gets cold

My main observations are:

1. Most people do slow down, apply their brakes when they see one of these speed cameras pointed at them

2. The worst offenders are women in large 4x4's (what a surprise), white van man complete with ladders, rolled up newspapers and mcdonald wrappers in front window and supermarket delivery vans closely followed by men in either sporty cars or young lads in little cars like pugs and golfs

3. The speed has not diminished over the last few months, in fact it has got worse

4. The worst time for speeding is first thing in the morning from 6.30 a.m onwards and in the evening from 5 p.m as people head home. We are not spared at the weekends either but car boot sales tend to slow down the weekenders.

The best episode so far is when I was out there with my young nephew and some twonk in a silver golf came screaming past, saw me, locked up and turned around to have a word. He proceeded to lecture me on the fact that I need a licence for the speed gun (not true ), what the hell was it my business and that he knew people in the force and they would be knocking on my door before turning around and racing off whilst hurling insults at me

Still waiting for a knock on my door

So as you can see, I am not going to give up on trying to get the speeds reduced
Old 04 September 2009, 12:21 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of interest, Swiss, what's the limit where you live, and what sort of speeds are you seeing? Best? Worst? Average?

If I missed this in the previous thread, sorry
Old 04 September 2009, 12:30 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So what do you use to calibrate your hairdryer then and what are you using to record the readings from it?
Old 04 September 2009, 12:32 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Out of interest, Swiss, what's the limit where you live, and what sort of speeds are you seeing? Best? Worst? Average?

If I missed this in the previous thread, sorry

Speed limit is 40. If you look on the previous thread you will see an aerial photo of the road where all the houses are on the right and just fields on the left.

Average speed on this road is around 46-7mph

Best speed is either the neighbours coming home, people lost and very old people ..ah bless who average around 28-34 mph

Worst ?? well actually recorded so far is around 78-79mph but I have been out there with bikes and certain cars doing well over 97-100mph.
Even more troubling are the 20 tonners filled with scrap waste who reach 55-60 mph down the road..now they are not going to stop very easy are they
Old 04 September 2009, 12:39 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
So what do you use to calibrate your hairdryer then and what are you using to record the readings from it?

The hairdryer is remarkably accurate. Have measure it against my other half in her car at various speeds and it is +- 2mph give or take the angle of the car and whether thet are going away or coming towards me.
A friend has one of these devices and his was calibrated and tested by the Police themselves.
Unfortunately it cant seem to speed test the cat as he tends to dink and swerve

I record the readings into a noteboook and then will transfer them into a spreadsheet. Reg plate and speed is noted together with company details if they are a goods vehicle.
Old 04 September 2009, 01:03 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

see now there is a road by me that no house faces and it is a dual lane road. you cmoe straight off the motorway onto this road!! its 30mph. thats just wrong. no one really speeds but a speed limit of 40-50mph would be nice.
Old 04 September 2009, 01:11 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Are you old with time on your hands Swiss?

TX.

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2009, 01:18 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

LOL at the above
Old 04 September 2009, 01:19 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Are you old with time on your hands Swiss?

TX.
Old ?? well that is a matter of opinion, my other half says I am but then she is 10 years younger than me

Time on my hands..nope but I can make it available to be a busy body

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Swiss and the Missus get to work
Great pic there As you will see my missus is sporting the latest in supportive footwear for her dodgy bunion, though she does hit me around the head with her stick.
I think you will find that I am wearing that jumper in quite a fashionable way
Old 04 September 2009, 01:40 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

That sounds like my road, although ours is a 30mph limit - houses on one side and fields across from us and it's a very long 1-2 mile downhill stretch.

I nearly got wiped out by a women in an Audi A3 (surprise, surprise) that came flying up to my bumper at about 65mph and then being the impatient sort decided to try and overtake me just as I slowed to turn into my drive - if I hadn't seen her doing this she would have taken me out - I then proceeded to follow her down to the junction which is always busy and gave her a load of abuse - she didn't care at all.

I've seen cars come past here at over 100mph and even shouting at them doesn't get any results if I'm out at that time.

It's damn annoying and even more so once you have kids to worry about.
Old 04 September 2009, 01:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I nearly got wiped out by a women in an Audi A3 (surprise, surprise) that came flying up to my bumper at about 65mph and then being the impatient sort decided to try and overtake me just as I slowed to turn into my drive - if I hadn't seen her doing this she would have taken me out -
I've seen cars come past here at over 100mph and even shouting at them doesn't get any results if I'm out at that time.

It's damn annoying and even more so once you have kids to worry about.
Exactly the same then except for the speed limit. The common thing is none of them seem to give a **** what speed they do.

My other half nearly got swiped the other day as she was slowing for the driveway by someone who overtook her...happens all the time.

You can shout at them like we have been doing for ages or take some action like I am...no guaranteed results and grief from people, but better to do that I think that just sit back in apathy
Old 04 September 2009, 01:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't blame you for doing all that Swiss. We have prats who go past the back of our house off the main road at anything up to 50 on a single track road with a blind bend and junction ahead of them!

No reason why you can't wear the yellow coat, you are entitled to make sure you are seen and you are not impersonating a copper either.

Which one are you in that photo, you did say you were using the device yourself? Quite a fetching dress that.

Les
Old 04 September 2009, 02:03 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Well done for getting up and doing something about it, most people just moan.

I am often on the roads at 3-4am... taxis seem to be the worst at this time. 2x the posted limit seems to be the norm.

After 4am the bread / news paper vans come out, who seem to be exempt from red traffic lights. If they would adjust their speed upto the lights they would find most of them flip onto priority mode and they get a green light just before they get there.... but no they have to race up well over the limit, slam on then check its clear and hammer down again on red...

But what really gets me..... my local community police had a meeting.... the locals complained that there was too many speeding cars on the main road. Few weeks later speed van turns up every Friday afternoon for a couple of months. Next community meeting.... everyone up in arms saying the police should be catching burglars not speeders... WTF...
Old 04 September 2009, 02:30 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
No reason why you can't wear the yellow coat, you are entitled to make sure you are seen and you are not impersonating a copper either.

Which one are you in that photo, you did say you were using the device yourself? Quite a fetching dress that.

Les
I didnt think of that re the jacket. It is a fair point as all I want to do is be seen and for people to acknowledge that their speed. Lets just hope that it doesnt induce people crashing..

And you can tell it is me by the jaunty angle of my flatcap

Originally Posted by billythekid
Well done for getting up and doing something about it, most people just moan.

I am often on the roads at 3-4am... taxis seem to be the worst at this time. 2x the posted limit seems to be the norm.

After 4am the bread / news paper vans come out, who seem to be exempt from red traffic lights. If they would adjust their speed upto the lights they would find most of them flip onto priority mode and they get a green light just before they get there.... but no they have to race up well over the limit, slam on then check its clear and hammer down again on red...

But what really gets me..... my local community police had a meeting.... the locals complained that there was too many speeding cars on the main road. Few weeks later speed van turns up every Friday afternoon for a couple of months. Next community meeting.... everyone up in arms saying the police should be catching burglars not speeders... WTF...
You cant win with some people. A few of my neighbours are completely in agreement with us and like the fact we are doing something about it, the rest moan byt never want to take action.
Old 04 September 2009, 02:39 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Speeding; Like DDT and CO2 induced climate change, it's crap! I'd love to "do the limit", but as most people are idiots, I am limited to 40kph in a 60kph zone (Because most drivers are idiots, in Aus at least).
Old 04 September 2009, 02:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Swiss and the Missus get to work

Old 04 September 2009, 02:48 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Thighs to keep ya ears warm....and we will need thighs like that soon too...
Old 04 September 2009, 03:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

85th percentile suggests that the speed limit should raised to 50 mph as your observations suggest this is the average speed 46/7mph people use on your road. Then a more active speed monitoring should be employed to keep this limit adhered to.
Old 04 September 2009, 04:13 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you need to get a girlfriend or get laid
Old 04 September 2009, 04:24 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
i think you need to get a girlfriend or get laid

Sorted on both counts, but thanks for your concern

Old 04 September 2009, 04:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats that around her neck

Shaun
Old 04 September 2009, 05:13 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You need a video camera behind you that catches the road/cars as well, so as they come honking down you can call out the speed of the car. Then send that to the council & police.
Old 04 September 2009, 05:18 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

We got this kind of problem down my street, nice quiet place with the road winding 'S' shaped.

A local park near by so you can imagine there are kids around, narrow road due to cars parked up but almost always you get some vvanker blast through, over the two speed bumps thinking it's a race track.

I was quite tempted to get some cardboard cutout lifesize random kids placed near the road to scare the **** out of any would be rally aces.
Old 04 September 2009, 05:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Swiss, ignore those with the pointless comments, I know why you are doing this, I have had similar issues in the past and it is frustrating and scary when you have kids and dogs, people going past where you live with not regard for their safety, I know some will say well you should keep them under control yadda yadda and the road is for cars but guess what, sometimes kids and dogs get loose, you get distracted, sorry but I am human and kids and dogs can be very cunning in order to do something very stupid, the speed limit of forty is bad enough but when people double it they have no chance so I can see your concern.

PS, your missus is lovely.
Old 04 September 2009, 05:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

This is a really refreshing thread to see.
We have the same issue on my road as well. The local forum is having a mas-debate about it at the moment, apparently the answer is more humps!

Well done mate !

PS cheers for the pictures, the jacket and gun were a bit lame but you made up for it! lol

Last edited by Snazy; 04 September 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04 September 2009, 05:52 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

the road I live on is exactly like this. Most of the time I really dont give a stuff as its not a place for kids to play on but what really winds me up is bikers on Sundays.

Somehow they seem to have it in their thick skulls that they can do what the hell they want and its not unusual for us to see bikes go past at well over 90mph, its a 30mph.

How do I know there doing 90+? okay, high powered bikes come down the road which is about 1/2 mile long with a kink in it half way along. We hear them accelerate rev limiter, 1st and 2nd gear and well into the rev range for 3rd. There all off to the cat and fiddle where hopefully they will kill themselves!

We did have the poolice down here about 5 years back when a biker killed himself and one of my neighbours as she pulled out near the blind kink in the road across the path of a speeding bike. Police reccon speed of impact was over 90mph as the biker along with the bike embeded itself half way into a ford fiesta! For a few months after the police came down every sunday and showed a pressence, since then nowt!

Its been quiet this year as its rained alot on sunday and it'll soon be winter and most motorbike heros dont ride unless its sunny!
Old 04 September 2009, 06:00 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Good job, Its one of the few posts that has tempted me to comment in the last few months.
I hope you get your community speed watch program. Play safe with the hi vis, call up the police every time and inform them before you do it just to keep on the right side of them.
I still maintain that people who speed then complain they have been caught speeding should have there cars taken of them, You know the rules when you take your test, its just a two digit number you have to remember...

I will be interested to see where this goes.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I was up the Cat and Fiddle the other day, there were indeed a few very quick bikers, quite why they pick that area on a Sunday I dont know as when you go up there there are quite a few vans out and a helicopter occasionally, I wasnt hanging about overtaking lines of dawdlers but I dont take my brain out.

I do like bikes and generally bikers ride better on average than drivers drive on average but they do seem to get blase about the speed, modern sportsbikes are simply too fast for 90 percent of the riders and conditions, on a track, why not but the Buxton road isnt a racetrack, there is usually a lot of broken plastic at the side on the road.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:08 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Sorted on both counts, but thanks for your concern

Old 04 September 2009, 06:14 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I was up the Cat and Fiddle the other day, there were indeed a few very quick bikers, quite why they pick that area on a Sunday I dont know as when you go up there there are quite a few vans out and a helicopter occasionally, I wasnt hanging about overtaking lines of dawdlers but I dont take my brain out.

I do like bikes and generally bikers ride better on average than drivers drive on average but they do seem to get blase about the speed, modern sportsbikes are simply too fast for 90 percent of the riders and conditions, on a track, why not but the Buxton road isnt a racetrack, there is usually a lot of broken plastic at the side on the road.
ditto, but if you did the speeds that some bikers do in a car, in a built up area you would be branded an idiot and sectioned - so why is it somehow acceptable to do it on a bike.

Quick Reply: Speeding update