Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is the point of a Phal curry?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2009, 02:14 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the point of a Phal curry?

I know it's an english invention but seriously.. why would you want it?

I recently went for a curry with a few people from work at lunchtime, I enjoyed a Madras, but that's as far as I will go.

One colleague ordered a Phal, he ate the lot, remember, this was lunchtime... no beer!
- He had to go to the bathroom twice
- His nose was running
- And he had sweat beads on his forehead

I tried a tiny bit and it really was uncomfortably hot.

So who here has them.. and why isn't a vindaloo good enough?
Old 16 September 2009, 02:16 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Its the revenge for the pig fat used to grease the rounds in Colonial India. I think they won, in the long run.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:21 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the whole point is to give you ring sting. I am like yourself we were out for a curry with guys from the work and we got a phal sauce put on the table for those who wanted to try it. I managed a few bits of nan bread dipped in it before i lost my sense of taste.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:24 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

It's hot, but...manageble...just...but yes, you don't taste anything...it's just chilli hot. Vindaloo, is also silly. A dupiaza is nice IMO, but anything "below" a madras, is OK too. Korma is just too mild for me, but I will eat it with wifey etc.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:25 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

It was invented for my brother to eat and then share the gaseous benefits wi his mrs when they've fallen out wi one another
Old 16 September 2009, 02:28 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It was made for ******* to show themselves for what they really are.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:33 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
It was made for ******* to show themselves for what they really are.
So you tried one then?
Old 16 September 2009, 02:35 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nope. I like to enjoy my curries.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:42 PM
yoza
BANNED

My friends like to eat currys, but I dont like what they eat, (the hot oily stuff).

I will always order the same...A bottle of KingFisher, Mixed Starter, ChickenTikka in korma sauce, and plain a Nan, and a lie down..

I never vary in an Indian.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:46 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Although I have already been branded a ****** as above, I enjoy them. I from time to time get a mushroom Phal, loads of naan and cucumber dip, its nice. They are hot, I am not the kind of person that will claim it isnt but depending what you have with it it can be really nice.
Bit of sag aloo some mango bits and pieces and its nice to have the contrasts.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:47 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Pete
wi his mrs ~ wi one another
Do you have a problem with your keyboard?
Old 16 September 2009, 02:50 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Nope. I like to enjoy my curries.
I agree, that is why I mentioned the dupiaza, it's very nice. I can still "enjoy" a phal...which is laden with silly amounts of chilli. But, you gotta be able to take it.
Old 16 September 2009, 02:52 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
My friends like to eat currys, but I dont like what they eat, (the hot oily stuff).

I will always order the same...A bottle of KingFisher, Mixed Starter, ChickenTikka in korma sauce, and plain a Nan, and a lie down..

I never vary in an Indian.
Try a dupiaza, or a balti, I think you'll like it.
Old 16 September 2009, 03:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I love a nice prawn balti
Old 16 September 2009, 03:06 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Onion Bhaji - The devils creation, I reckon I could eat 50
Old 16 September 2009, 03:20 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I was tricked into a mouthful of phal many years ago by my father. He thought it was hilarious seeing my reaction. I couldn't taste the rest of my curry, but at least he was paying. My Dad would look extremely uncomfortable eating his but assured us he was enjoying it. He no longer has the hot ones any more. I happened to go for a curry with him last night and he had a madras.

Personally I normally go for the tandoori dishes like a sashlick. When it comes to curry I go for taste over heat. Having said that, I can eat a lethally hot chilli con carne and I can still taste it.

Years ago, an indian friend of mine told me that "phal" means "ridiculous" in gujarati. Her theory (which I subscribe to), is that drunk Brits would stagger into a curry house late and all try and outdo each other. Once they'd all got used to Vindaloos, they starting asking for something hotter. The first waiter to be asked for one told said drunks half jokingly said they have one called a phal which is hotter than a vindaloo. The drunks went ahead and ordered it. Repeat orders (to not lose face) meant it ended up on the menu and then spread to other curry houses in town, then further afield.
Old 16 September 2009, 03:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A Khorma is plenty hot enough for me. You can taste the meal for a start, and it is a very nice taste, and you don't suffer afterwards. Eating a burning hot one is a waste of time I reckon.

Les
Old 16 September 2009, 03:36 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a fat bloke who had one at a stag do I went on a while ago. He was sweating like a rapist and looked like he was about to die

Not my idea of enjoyment, vindaloo is as hot as I go.
Old 16 September 2009, 03:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably designed to sell more cobra/tiger ..!
Old 16 September 2009, 04:02 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
A Khorma is plenty hot enough for me.
LOL! A Khorma certainly is rather spicy Les!

Old 16 September 2009, 04:21 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Thats settled it.......curry for dinner tonight!!!

Korma
Old 16 September 2009, 04:33 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

As said above the "Phal" was indeed made up for drunk idiots outdoing each other. Think this was up in Scotland and then it spread further afield.

Me personally, I like a bit of spice but flavour is important. Eaten with chapattis not naan. Yum
Old 16 September 2009, 04:51 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

I like my curries for taste and not a mission to prove something. when i go out i usually like to order a madras a korma and a few other things that aint too hot to not enjoy but just spicey enough.
Old 16 September 2009, 05:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPL
LOL! A Khorma certainly is rather spicy Les!

Lovely grub!

Les
Old 16 September 2009, 06:51 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

My dad used to order extra packets of chillies with his curry to spice it up, the left over chillies he would have with his breakfast, his local indian has special extra hot green chillies for him to have with his meals but he has still never ordered a phal in my company, the hotness from chillies is much nicer than the hotness from chilli powder and people who realy love the heat would order what ever curry they likes and add extra chillies IMO
Old 16 September 2009, 08:17 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be direct here but Phal(l) is just English Chav macho bollicks. One of my best friends is Indian and his family would never dream of serving this kind of **** at home. This monstrosity of a dish is a purely Anglicized load of macho crap. Its in the same league as the 5ft guy who drives a big car with a long bonnet .........to prove just how big his dick isn't.........

Anyone banging on about being able to eat this, clearly has no knowledge or appreciation of real Indian cuisine. I'm sure its called Phall after the word Phallus which yes, means anyone crowing on about it is bound to be a first class ****............
Old 16 September 2009, 08:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love hot food, cant find a Vindaloo that does the trick anymore so I get them to put chillies in, I still dont find it hot enough, its not macho, I just like it, I enjoy the burn and after a while it doesnt even register then someone else tries it and ends up going puce. Asda do a superb Vindaloo sauce, not that authentic but better than most short of a proper Indian and properly hot, not Sainsburys Vindaloo hot which is about as spicy as Salt and Pepper.

Never tried one but I would, secret is to just eat hot curry slowly and diltue it a bit with Naan Bread or Rice if you are struggling, once you get over the heat and realise you wont die you can enjoy the proper chilli flavour.

Fabioso, you are right about the **** thing,

"It is claimed that the name is derived from phallus to signify the machismo of a man who can eat such hot food."
Old 16 September 2009, 08:35 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
Sorry to be direct here but Phal(l) is just English Chav macho bollicks. One of my best friends is Indian and his family would never dream of serving this kind of **** at home. This monstrosity of a dish is a purely Anglicized load of macho crap. Its in the same league as the 5ft guy who drives a big car with a long bonnet .........to prove just how big his dick isn't.........

Anyone banging on about being able to eat this, clearly has no knowledge or appreciation of real Indian cuisine. I'm sure its called Phall after the word Phallus which yes, means anyone crowing on about it is bound to be a first class ****............
Couldn't agree more. The UK has some rather immature attitudes, one of them being the more alcohol you can drink the more of a man you are. The expression 'he/she can take his/her drink' is one of the singularly most pathetic things I can ever hope to hear. So if someone can put more alcohol in their body than someone else that makes them a better person - BS, it makes them more likely to suffer liver disease and that is about it.

The phal and the vindaloo are just the curry extension of this stupid attitude. A lot of people call Indians and Pakistanis in this country, but the restaurant owners have sure got our measure and probably laugh at us with good reason. What better than when you have just proved how much of a man you are by drinking 12 pints of Carlsberg Special Brew than to then reinforce your tough man reputation by eating a hotter curry than anyone else.

It's utterly pathetic!

Oh and if anyone reading this genuinely likes a phal or the likes then fair play to you and you are obviously exempt form the retard club described above.
Old 16 September 2009, 08:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you cant taste a curry then there is no point in eating it

Tony
Old 16 September 2009, 09:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good story for you
My mates missus loves her hot curries, he sweats just looking at a mild chilli but one night back from the pub as I was staying round there, we picked up a curry for her from the curry house across from the pub, asked them to make it "really hot", so they shoved a load more chilli power in to it
Well made it back to their house and put the curry on the side whilst fussing the dogs (he had 4 at the time), turned around and found one dog missing, who had decided he wanted said curry and was quite happily munching it down off the kitchen floor where he had dropped it
It looked liked he liked it, dont think he did the next day though and one thing he does do is learn quickly (especially after drinking cocktails ) poor fella

Tony

Quick Reply: What is the point of a Phal curry?