Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

School in 1970s vs. School in 2000s

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2009, 01:09 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink School in 1970s vs. School in 2000s

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.
1974 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best mates.
2009 - Police are called; Armed Response Unit arrives and arrest Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on YouTube.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1974 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.
1974 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.
1974 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college..
2009 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist.. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane and blows up an anthill.
1974 - Ants die.
2009 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Mark falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1974 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.
Old 30 September 2009, 01:40 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol Thank **** i was born in the 70`s
Old 30 September 2009, 06:45 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1974 was a good year to be at school .. I remember it well
Old 30 September 2009, 06:45 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Sadly all joking aside........ theres a ring of truth in all that
Old 30 September 2009, 07:07 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

^^^^^ Spot on. Its funny, but how society is now.

SBK
Old 30 September 2009, 07:26 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Bring back the 'Life on Mars' era of sensible precautions and common sense!
Old 30 September 2009, 10:09 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Johnny gets caught throwing stones at a derelict buildings windows.

1974: Village bobby arrives and gives Johnny a clip round the ear. Johnny has healthy respect for the police and never gets in trouble again.
2009: 12 coppers arrive in 7 different vehicles. Johnny is arrested and spends 8 hours in the cells until social services arrive. Johnny given caution and taken into care. Johnny's parents charged with neglect and fined £10,000 which costs them their house. With his new found hatred for the authorities, Johnny starts a downward spiral of misbehaviour gaining several ASBOs before ending up in prison.
Old 30 September 2009, 10:33 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1974 - Mohammed ??
Old 30 September 2009, 11:56 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Look this is all very unfair on Johnny. He had a very unusual upbringing what with a heterosexual mum and dad who looked after him and neither of his parents wanted to share his stock of "E"s and even confiscated his coke. And his pregnant girlfriend wasn't much help either. He had been looking forward to his uni media studies course but when he did pop into school one day one of the teachers had told him that 2 GCSE at D grade might just be a problem. But he has entered "X Factor" which he is sure he will win so things might be looking up.

So just back off the misunderstood youf of today

dl

(who went to school on Saturdays in the early 70s)
Old 30 September 2009, 12:09 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Far too close to the truth to be funny unfortunately.
Who'd be a teacher in the schools of today?
I can't say I enjoyed my time at school in the 70's, but you knew where you stood and what would happen if you crossed the line.
Old 30 September 2009, 12:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
1974 - Mohammed ??
Yes, they slipped up there, Muslims were, as we all know invented by the Daily Mail in 2001 as someone to blame when something exploded seeign as the Paddies had calmed down a bit.
Old 30 September 2009, 12:18 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
1974 - Mohammed ??
Sanjay?

Old 30 September 2009, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe one day the PC Plonkers who have done so much to destroy the aspirations of this country and also been the instigators of the break up of the family unit as well the extreme moral degradation that we see now, will be overcome and we can go back to being a real country again. That is of course if we have not been completely betrayed by our leaders as is being threatened now, and they succeed in handing us over to the even more corrupt Eu and we become a province of Europe!

Les
Old 30 September 2009, 12:56 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I remember once when i was riding a petrol scooter, (not a moped, imagine a micro scooter with a 20 cc engine ) I was about 14/15 so it was in 2003-4. It belonged to a mate of mine and we were taking turns.

We were riding it on a big field with a playing park nearby (not near kids before you start having a go ) and we saw a police man in the distance so i thought id get out of there, suddenly ever corner of the field had about 2/3 policeman, one corner had a riot van and the opposing corner had a police car. So little old me on a 20cc scooter that did about 10 mph was surrounded by half the towns police force

Hardly relates to the OP but when reading it i was reminded of this story so thought i;d share my experiences as a 2000's school kid

Thought i would also add, i never had counselling or took my school to court, but i wish a certain maths teacher of mine gave me hugs when i hurt my self
Old 30 September 2009, 01:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I was told to "F*** off" by an ethnic kid last week and nothing was done as she's a "good student", who's definition her's or mine ?

Better one, I asked for the "arboreal engineers" to come and lop some branches off a few trees, and they suck in fresh air and refer it to the legal department !

If the neighbours sign dis-claimers, then we can arrange to do the work..... SIGH !

dunx
Old 30 September 2009, 01:38 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by bioforger
Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane and blows up an anthill.
1974 - Ants die.
2009 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Which reminds me, has anyone heard from Chaos recently
Old 30 September 2009, 01:59 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

when i was at primary school we used to have a playground that was like loose gravel and at lunch we used to play a game called bulldog (apparantley banned now) some ****** rugby tackled me and my knee was all f*cked up (still got the scars) they cleaned it up took all the stones out and sent me off to class. if that happened these days it would be compo claims and health and safety assesments
Old 30 September 2009, 02:54 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Having just attended a morning of Employment Law training, I've decided to go and live in a box and not communicate with any humans lest I find myself hauled before a court. I'm sorry for any offence this post may cause to those who have a fear of boxes, those who find the word "human" sexist (it should be "huperson") and those who believe that courts are the work of the devil and that only God can judge us.
Old 30 September 2009, 03:03 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I was born in the 60's and so the 70's were my playground. Those 1974 scenarios are so true and were so much a part of my life back then. It's really sad that things have gone so wrong.
I dread to think how little childhood children will be allowed to have in the future.
Old 30 September 2009, 04:18 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hughes741
when i was at primary school we used to have a playground that was like loose gravel and at lunch we used to play a game called bulldog (apparantley banned now) some ****** rugby tackled me and my knee was all f*cked up (still got the scars) they cleaned it up took all the stones out and sent me off to class. if that happened these days it would be compo claims and health and safety assesments
We used to have red gravel pitches at school. I had many a gravel filled graze from them.

Even worse though, were the playgrounds in public parks. There was one feature called the witches hat. Absolutely lethal by todays wrapped in cotton wool standards, but great fun - swinging around 20 feet above the tarmac floor! I've also got a significant scar on my chin from a long metal rocking horse thing. In those days, that kind of injury was put down as "one of those things"...

Best piccie of a witches hat I could find: