Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Leadership on the World Stage?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2009, 10:20 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool British Leadership on the World Stage?

So will Tony Blair get to be European President?

This would be a great accolade for the power of the UK and to recognise that Blair has the political weight to be a true world leader, as well as potentially leading the largest economic power in the modern world (until China and India race past us).

I am sure there will be a thousand naysayers - albeit the same naysayers who would be crying over their keyboards about the dilution of national power if a Frenchman, German or Czech were to be made President.

I can smell the irony from here
Old 26 October 2009, 10:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Have you been sniffing PSL's pants or at the creme de mente?
Old 26 October 2009, 10:36 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I thought this might be about rallying ?
Old 27 October 2009, 09:48 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be extremely surprised if Blair got the nod for this job.
His only positive qualification is being a liar - and there are plenty of a similar ilk on the mainland.
The guy was hounded out of power by his own party FFS.
Old 27 October 2009, 10:50 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I totally agree Blair should be in Europe , but in the Hague facing trial for war crimes.
Old 27 October 2009, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am being fed up of being led (if you can call it that) by lying selfseeking creeps!

Les
Old 27 October 2009, 11:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

But why do we need to be on the "World Stage" at all?

We no longer have an empire to look after and our overseas policy seems to get us nowhere and cost a fortune. Iraq, Afghanistan, The Middle East, Trident? What good does it do us and WE CAN'T AFFORD IT.

So retrench and concentrate on the things that we can still do well. The City, scientific excellence (rapidly going downhill), fashion etc.

I'd say get out of the European political arena but keep a good trading arrangement. Maintain a good relationship with USA so we can call on them if we get in a mess.

dl
Old 27 October 2009, 01:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes thats all very good thinking.

If we stay tied to the Eu constitution we will become their lackeys and will be ruled by their Eu forces and police and will lose all ability to live by our own rules. A trading agreement like the one we thought we were voting for in the referendum is by far the best but as ever we were conned in the style recommended by Jean Monnet in 1947. Heath would have a lot to answer for if he was still around.

Les
Old 27 October 2009, 01:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock

I'd say get out of the European political arena but keep a good trading arrangement. Maintain a good relationship with USA so we can call on them if we get in a mess.

dl
But exactly WHAT have WE had FROM the USA since 1945?

That particular arrangement seems always to be in their favour

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yes thats all very good thinking.

If we stay tied to the Eu constitution we will become their lackeys and will be ruled by their Eu forces and police and will lose all ability to live by our own rules. A trading agreement like the one we thought we were voting for in the referendum is by far the best but as ever we were conned in the style recommended by Jean Monnet in 1947. Heath would have a lot to answer for if he was still around.
Where do you get the idea that we would have to be subservient from, Les? We only need do what WE want to, just like the others do, so long as we have a government with cojones.

You need to stop believing the anti-europe scaremongers, who are doing it to line their own pockets: bankers, foreign exchange people, etc etc.
Old 27 October 2009, 01:42 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be worth it just to see the look on Brown's face having to welcome the president to Downing Street.
Old 27 October 2009, 01:50 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I don't want Blair, or any Frenchman, German or Czech to be European president.

Irony-free zone in TelBoyland.
Old 28 October 2009, 10:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
But exactly WHAT have WE had FROM the USA since 1945?

That particular arrangement seems always to be in their favour

Where do you get the idea that we would have to be subservient from, Les? We only need do what WE want to, just like the others do, so long as we have a government with cojones.

You need to stop believing the anti-europe scaremongers, who are doing it to line their own pockets: bankers, foreign exchange people, etc etc.
Well you just gave the clue-how much resistance to the Eu diktats have you seen since Maggie left the world stage!

All our leaders ever do is to sit back, blaming irritating legislation which they accept readily on the Eu. The only new rules they make are purely for their own convenience.

One can only think that they are eventually expecting a big payback from the Eu in the way of obscenely paid sinecures, what other reason could there be?

The French certainly ignore what they don't approve of but then their government seems to support their own people.

Do you really think we can profit by being given lock stock and barrel to the most corrupt bunch imaginable? What happens to those billions of euros that the commissioners keep losing?

Free trading is fine, Norway are doing alright, but I would much prefer us to run our own affairs rather than to have to accept an Eu combined military outfit and an Eu police force! We must hang on to our own country in all respects.

Les
Old 28 October 2009, 02:27 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Well you just gave the clue-how much resistance to the Eu diktats have you seen since Maggie left the world stage!

All our leaders ever do is to sit back, blaming irritating legislation which they accept readily on the Eu. The only new rules they make are purely for their own convenience.

One can only think that they are eventually expecting a big payback from the Eu in the way of obscenely paid sinecures, what other reason could there be?

The French certainly ignore what they don't approve of but then their government seems to support their own people.

Do you really think we can profit by being given lock stock and barrel to the most corrupt bunch imaginable? What happens to those billions of euros that the commissioners keep losing?

Free trading is fine, Norway are doing alright, but I would much prefer us to run our own affairs rather than to have to accept an Eu combined military outfit and an Eu police force! We must hang on to our own country in all respects.

Les
Les there is a lot of things I agree with here but....

The conclusion you appear to draw is to come out of the EU; how about staying in and actually trying to reform the thing into the organisation it should be?

Too much standing on the sideline moaning about how awful everything is, will get us precisely nowhere
Old 28 October 2009, 06:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005

The conclusion you appear to draw is to come out of the EU; how about staying in and actually trying to reform the thing into the organisation it should be?

Too much standing on the sideline moaning about how awful everything is, will get us precisely nowhere
OMfekkingG I agree with Martin AGAIN!

When I get home I'm visiting a shrink............
Old 28 October 2009, 07:43 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

OK, now I am far knowledgable on all things political so don't jump down my throat here.

But forgetting things like Britain losing it's identity and power to the EU and forgetting things like trade agreements.(why would we need to be part of the EU to trade?)
Doesn't the fact that we have to pay billions to be part of the EU for little return show that we need to take ourselves out of the EU and put the money saved to rebuilding our economy by supporting homegrown industry. We are an Island that is packed to the gills will failed farms and farmers that have had no backing from our government yet we pay billions to support foreign industrial and farming communities. We need to look to our own problems by solving them not paying to be part of a community that is hell bent on making things more complicated.

I'm probably way off the mark here but I don't really give a f@#*. This is the way I see it and however simple my view is.
Old 28 October 2009, 07:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Ummm. We seem to have tried the "staying in and actually trying to reform the thing" tack and it doesn't work! Quick example is the Irish referendum on the Lisbon Con ... Treaty. They voted 'no' but that wasn't the right answer so they had to do it again. Now they've voted 'yes' when are they going to have the deciding referendum? I mean, it's 1-1 at the moment!!

The EU is all about take take take, more power to the EU and less and less to each country. If you can't see that then you really are blind.

Dave
Well if you think that signing off with an insult wins you the argument then I guess you win!

The EU is in desperate need of reform, we should be leading that. We could pull out obviously, but thats taking a incredibly short-term view. Why do I have to assume that the thing can't be reformed, improved and made far more accountable?

From what i can tell Dave you don't like anything, the UK government the EU the UN, so I'm not entirely sure who you want to run the place?
Old 28 October 2009, 07:50 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
OMfekkingG I agree with Martin AGAIN!

When I get home I'm visiting a shrink............
Careful at this rate we'll soon be lovers

Last edited by Martin2005; 28 October 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 28 October 2009, 08:58 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
OK. *WHY* is that taking a short term view? Answers in an easy to understand form please, 'cos some of us are obviously too thick to understand long words ......

Dave
Because the EU is there for the long run, you are complaining about relatively short-term problems.
So in theory we could leave now, and then find we miss out on centuries of prosperity (unlikely I know)
Old 28 October 2009, 09:08 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the job is as good as his lol after all he has all the qualifications
1 liar
2 cheat
3 only after his own intrests at heart
4 BELLEND of the highest order
let him have it i say just so long as we are not in it then we cat sit back and enjoy watching him **** it up for the rest of europe . justice and revenge for offloading all the illegals on us SWEET i would shake the smarmy ***** hand if i ever got the chance then kick him in the nads LMFAO
Old 30 October 2009, 10:40 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I believe you are confused. It's not what you can do to make the EU what it should be. It's what the EU is/will be doing to make you do/live/say what they want. And Tony Bliar seems to be tipped to lead it. I'd be pretty alarmed by that TBH.
Old 30 October 2009, 02:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well Martin, I am quite certain that we as a country would not have any significant success in trying to reform the Eu as you put it. A non elected president presiding over non elected commissioners means a singular lack of democracy, not that we have seen a lot of that for a long time of course. At least we can vote in our own country to do something about that, or we can at the moment-but for how long I ask?

Our presence in the Eu Parliament is also so small in comparison to the others that our MEPs would not have any significant influence there either. They have got it all nicely tied up already!

Its all adds up to the death of democracy and eventual subjugation to the rules of the Eu which means we can kiss our civil liberties goodby as well!

Les
Old 30 October 2009, 02:39 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Well Martin, I am quite certain that we as a country would not have any significant success in trying to reform the Eu as you put it. A non elected president presiding over non elected commissioners means a singular lack of democracy, not that we have seen a lot of that for a long time of course. At least we can vote in our own country to do something about that, or we can at the moment-but for how long I ask?

Our presence in the Eu Parliament is also so small in comparison to the others that our MEPs would not have any significant influence there either. They have got it all nicely tied up already!

Its all adds up to the death of democracy and eventual subjugation to the rules of the Eu which means we can kiss our civil liberties goodby as well!

Les
What's your solution to all this then Leslie
Old 30 October 2009, 04:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What's your solution to all this then Leslie
Not that complicated Martin. Hold the promised referendum with a fairly constructed question to be answered, follow the will of the people with regard to the Eu constitution, and if that is to refuse to back it, then negotiate an EFTA agreement for trading, and run our own country with our own government.

Les
Old 30 October 2009, 04:32 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As soon as Gordon Brown backs him, his bid to be president totally fuuucks up

Everything this guy touches turns to ****

Quick Reply: British Leadership on the World Stage?