Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I am a PC

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 11:44 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a PC

I wonder if Microsoft realise that these incredibly irritating ads for windows 7 will actually lay the blame for it being a crap product on their customers if it turns out to be as big a turd as Vista was.

In a somewhat ironic twist, the ad was created and edited using Macs and Creative Suite 3 from Adobe according to the report below.

Microsoft’s ‘I’m a PC’ Ads Created On Macs — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
Old 01 November 2009, 12:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It's hardly surprising though as Mac's have always ruled the roost for picture and video editing and graphics work of almost any kind. That's what they are best for IMHO. I still wouldn't have one again though and I was an absolute die-hard Mac fan when I was younger. I still love them and think they are great products but your bang for £ with Pc's is so much higher and there is just so much more software support, etc.

At the end of the day you've got to use the best tool for the job and for advertising that's nearly always going to be a Mac.
Old 01 November 2009, 01:40 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

YouTube - PC vs Mac

Last edited by hux309; 01 November 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:03 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

they forgot 3 letters in those ads . im a *****
Old 01 November 2009, 06:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I use both professionally, I choose Mac personally.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:42 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Although I use mac I dont mean this to be biased but........ So far all the windows 7 adverts bragging about new things windows does like "snap" and "open apps task bar" Macs have had for years, If anything it looks like they have got a mac OS and taken a few bits off.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

They've been like that for years. I remember a mate waxing lyrical about them getting a picture management app as part of XP, to which I said 'Oh, like iPhoto which has been shipped as part of OS X for 6 years' Snap looks like a poor relation to our Spaces or Exposé, like they got a live search tool with Vista which mimicked Spotlight. There was a video on YT by a leading US journo comparing all the revolutionary Vista features to the Mac equivalents which we'd been enjoying for years

YouTube - Windows Vista did not steal ideas from Mac OS X!

YouTube - Windows Vista: First of a Kind Features
Old 01 November 2009, 07:00 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SNAP SNAPPPPP
Old 01 November 2009, 07:01 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

In a somewhat ironic twist, the ad was created and edited using Macs
same irony as all macs using PC components now ?
Old 01 November 2009, 07:20 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The thing is that it's hard, and has always been hard, to argue that a mac is anything but superior in terms of ease of use and functionality. However, that comes at a big price being:

a) the actual purchase price
b) the inferior support

A computer is a computer at the end of the day and I really don't know why this argument still wages on decade after decade. I player poker for a living, surf the net and enjoy the occassional game. A PC is therefore a far superior tool for me. However, if I was a graphics artist or worked with media stuff much a Mac would almost certainly be better.

This whole argument is a bit like arguing what's better between a Ferrari and a Range Rover. Both will get you from a-to-b but they are designed with different uses in mind.
Old 01 November 2009, 07:24 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I have both Mac and PC at home. As a user of both I have to say Windows 7 is a delight to use. This is how Vista should have been.

A lot of damage has been done to MS because of Vista.
Old 01 November 2009, 07:44 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
This whole argument is a bit like arguing what's better between a Ferrari and a Range Rover.
That's a poor analogy. Most people want to get from a to b and are happy with a ford. Apple provide a BMW. you pay more and get a decent product. If you want a ferrari, you go back to PCs and build your own

...problem is the ECU
Old 01 November 2009, 07:46 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Jaybird, Win7 is so very near to vista it's uncanny. MS's advertising campaign has done a great job of distancing themselves from vista, when in point of fact, the codebase is pretty damn similar.
Old 01 November 2009, 08:41 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats wrong with Vista? To me its all the same like whether it be Vista, XP or Windows 98. T'all works the same!
Old 01 November 2009, 09:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO, Vista is **** slow and bloated, XP was and still is superior. I got very frustrated with Vista when it first came out and it was this frustration that drove me to look at other operating systems and why I chose Linux and have not looked back. Way faster, snappier and no need to worry about security vulnerabilities and attacks. Granted at first it was a bit difficult to use at first and had to "unlearn" MS Windows way of doing things. I also have a Windows7 system and it is similar to Vista, but more faster and more stable. Linux does have some rough edges and has some way to go to match Wincows7 for usability, but it's not far off, especially with Ubuntu Linux.

If using a car analogy, Windows7 is a fully equipped BMW 7 series with loads of electrical gadgetry and driver aids to get you from A to B. Linux is the Impreza Spec C, lacks a bit of the BMW's polish and class but you have full control and will get you from A to B a lot quicker.

Last edited by jonc; 01 November 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01 November 2009, 09:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ChefDude
That's a poor analogy. Most people want to get from a to b and are happy with a ford. Apple provide a BMW. you pay more and get a decent product. If you want a ferrari, you go back to PCs and build your own

...problem is the ECU

That works
Old 01 November 2009, 09:24 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

lol

I just imported all my images into Adobe Lightroom on OSX. I am properly converted to Apple now