Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Please listen to this, Ian Plimer Climate Change sceptic.

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2009, 08:59 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please listen to this, Ian Plimer Climate Change sceptic.

Quote " Man made Co2 accounts for only 3% of the Co2 put into the atmosphere every year "

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/p...thpatkenny.mp3

This is great stuff. Even the presenter turns on the pro CC journo.
Old 04 December 2009, 01:58 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Downloaded, will listen in the morning.
Old 04 December 2009, 06:06 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Inventer of the interwebything and the saviour of the planet, Al Gore, isn't going to Hopenhagen.

Mann, the CRU "trick" to hide the decline has spooked the big guns.
Old 04 December 2009, 08:11 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Mr Flight Man sir, i haven't got the ability to watch that here. But, and i'm promising to myself only to post once on this thread, please could you tell treehuggers like me why 3% of a total, which was so small as to be a negligible % up till very recently (in Earth terms), is still statistically unimportant. Why can you be so sure that the ecosystem, built up over millions of years, is oblivious to a 3% change in anything, let alone Co2. Is it because 3% in human terms seems such a small number?
Old 04 December 2009, 08:20 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

He does have a point ^
Old 04 December 2009, 08:29 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the massive(in terms of where we are now) changes of carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere having no definite direct link to temperatures? Why would another 3% at the relatively low level we have now, change anything?
Old 04 December 2009, 10:05 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Mr Flight Man sir, i haven't got the ability to watch that here. But, and i'm promising to myself only to post once on this thread, please could you tell treehuggers like me why 3% of a total, which was so small as to be a negligible % up till very recently (in Earth terms), is still statistically unimportant. Why can you be so sure that the ecosystem, built up over millions of years, is oblivious to a 3% change in anything, let alone Co2. Is it because 3% in human terms seems such a small number?
When you go home, listen to the clip. It's all there, and put far more succinctly than I can manage.

Plimer gives statistics and analysis to back up his conclusions. His opponent resorts to name calling. At one point he calls Plimers book
"school boy science " then admits to not having read it!

I was always under the impression that science was about debate. The IPCC aren't allowing any. To them, and therefore our political masters, it is happening and any debate must be stamped on. That is dangerous.

If Plimers science, (and those that think like him) is wrong, then it should be easy to disprove. Why resort to name calling?
Old 04 December 2009, 10:21 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well whatever way you look at it, the journalist came across badly. Sounded very petty indeed. Did he make a single relevant point?
Old 04 December 2009, 10:29 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Well whatever way you look at it, the journalist came across badly. Sounded very petty indeed. Did he make a single relevant point?
A bit like Al Gore talking on geothermal energy that at about 2kms beneath the surface of the Earth, it's millions of degrees down there.

LMAO
Old 04 December 2009, 10:30 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I've been following Plimer's work for a while now & he talks a lot of sense. It's just a shame that he's marginalised, like a lot of MMGW critics. In fact the whole debate has descended into some sort of quasi-religious crusade where if someone doesn't accept the dogma that climate change is man made, they're branded a heretic.
The Copenhagen summit is basically going to be used to promote the ridiculous carbon cap and trade system in an attempt to reduce emissions (short video on how it works here ). However, the system is open to widespread abuse like VAT fiddling to name just one.
Old 04 December 2009, 10:53 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

An interesting listen. The journo didn't really do very well. He admitted that he hadn't read the bookand simply refused to take on board even the possibility that AGW may not be true.

It's like the old religion argument, atheists would believe in God if proven, but theists will never accept another view.

As Plimer says, the best evidence is through observation and collection of data, not through computer modelling, as th models have been proven wrong several times now (they certainly didn't see 10 years of static temperatures or cooling!)

Geezer
Old 04 December 2009, 11:08 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
And ~50% of that ~3% goes....somewhere, no-one knows. No scientist, no monitoring station, no core sample, no currently orbiting satellite. That is why a new satellite was launched to find out, but it crashed.

Most atmospheric "heat" radiation from Earth occurs spaceward (It's the easiest path).

Last edited by Klaatu; 04 December 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04 December 2009, 11:28 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

“You wouldn’t accept that at a grade 9 science fair…” – CBC finds a moment of clarity on Climategate Watts Up With That?
Old 04 December 2009, 01:57 PM
New_scooby_04

^^^Nail, head, hit^^^
Old 04 December 2009, 04:32 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Good stuff
Old 04 December 2009, 06:15 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Its all rubbish, even the climate change experts have recently been discredited.
The Romans had vineyards at Hadrians wall, and Greenland was in fact a very fertile breadbasket.
Old 04 December 2009, 07:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A couple of decent sized volcanic eruptions and we'll all be shivering....

dunx
Old 04 December 2009, 08:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx

dunx
mmm about 9.15 tomorrow morning, could well be an eruption, in the cambs area
Old 04 December 2009, 08:36 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Just popping my head into the thread to say - as I always do..

I've consistently said all this since joining Scoobynet in 2002. Every climate change thread, I've been there saying it's all sh*t. For many years I was laughed at but nearly every thread I see now is people trying to prove it's all sh*t.

Dibs....I called this first.
Old 04 December 2009, 08:40 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Gordon Brown has just decided to wade into Climategate.

He’s just released this statement via the Downing Street press office:

“With only days to go before Copenhagen we mustn’t be distracted by the behind-the-times, anti-science, flat-earth climate sceptics. We know the science. We know what we must do. We must now act.”

Calling the electorate names now are we Gordon? Well as you started it can I just say I think you are a one eyed, slack jawed, scum sucking ret@rd.
Old 04 December 2009, 10:38 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Gordon Brown has just decided to wade into Climategate.

He’s just released this statement via the Downing Street press office:

“With only days to go before Copenhagen we mustn’t be distracted by the behind-the-times, anti-science, flat-earth climate sceptics. We know the science. We know what we must do. We must now act.”

Calling the electorate names now are we Gordon? Well as you started it can I just say I think you are a one eyed, slack jawed, scum sucking ret@rd.
I thought this was a wind up until I googled it and saw this link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-earthers.html

I really cant quite believe just how "fvck you" this Gvmt is being in the face of all evidence that the data is false, the code is bugged AND DELIBERATELY HARD CODES ANY CHANGE. This is a TOTAL outrage

Last edited by warrenm2; 04 December 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05 December 2009, 03:55 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dunx

dunx

If just one does it we're all screwed, this one : Yellowstone Park. And it's overdue an eruption !

Armageddon Online - Yellowstone Park is a Super Volcano - an eruption would destroy America
Old 05 December 2009, 10:16 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

...and the government don't want the Met Office to re-examine 160 years of climate data!!

Originally Posted by The Times
The Government is attempting to stop the Met Office from carrying out the re-examination, arguing that it would be seized upon by climate change sceptics.
Unbelievable

mb

Quick Reply: Please listen to this, Ian Plimer Climate Change sceptic.