Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How can i Heat my conservatory

Old 16 November 2010, 07:04 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i Heat my conservatory

We are having a conservatory build it will be 15m2 and will have a full brick wall one side and the garage wall the other side.

What's going to be the best way to heat it. I was thinking of an electric radiator do they cost a lot to run? and will it be powerful enough to heat it?

I was also looking at putting a normal radiator out there but that means it would be on all the time the central heating is on unless I turn it off all the time.

I though electric would be good because I could turn it on just when I need it or program one to turn on and off.

Would something like this work they seem quite cheap?

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/BEH...rs_Online.html

Thanks for the help
Old 16 November 2010, 07:21 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, If it was me I would go for electric underfloor heating, it's surprisingly cheap to install and run.
It gives a much better heat coverage than radiators and is perfect for a conservatory.
http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/
Old 16 November 2010, 07:34 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

We have a Daikin heat/cool pump.
Old 16 November 2010, 08:11 AM
Lady Luck
Scooby Regular

I used to have an electric radiator in my first old flat so the heating was dire.

They get surprisingly hot quickly and certainly warm up a large room if given the time to do it.

Only this is they look a bit ugly while plugged in, although this was nearly 9 yr ago, they may have moved on since!
Old 16 November 2010, 10:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Key thing to remember is that conservatories get hot of cold very quickly. I have a Daikin which can push hot ait out very quickly to warm the room and a plug-in electric to top up as it were. Both expensive to run.

I can't afford to keep it warm at night but the problem there is that condensation is rife and you end up with mold on the plastic window frames.

Much will depend on how you intend to use the room. dl
Old 16 November 2010, 10:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There is no cheap way IMO. Damn things lose so much heat from the roof.

We've got two very large double convector radiators and it struggles. I've just installed some 4ft tube heaters on the last two free walls on a plug in thermostat.

They are only 240watts each so have no hope of heating the room on their own, but the idea is to assist the central heating as a gas condensing boiler should be cheaper to run than pure electric, although with today's random utility prices its hard to say. Will see how it goes. The beauty of tube heaters is I can double-up and install an extra row if it proves ineffective (at the expense of more electricity). Although they aren't exactly pretty to look at.

The next step is have some sort of retactable heavy thickly lined thermal curtains/drapes to close off the roof apex when its cold. Although I'm yet to see anything on the market suitable; I'll have to get a curtain maker to make something to my own design. Seems the market only concentrates on venetians and roller blinds which are useless for winter.

I so wish we had under floor heating in there now. But of course, its already built so it need the whole floor digging up. I might thump it down and rebuild it with a solid roof - its a wooden framed and glassed roofed (double glazed) which is a nightmare to maintain.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 November 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 16 November 2010, 11:09 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Close the curtains

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...nce-is-it.html
Old 16 November 2010, 11:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Find me some curtains that will afffix to a conservatory roof J, and I'll gladly do so.

Currently have solar roof blinds, which do help in the summer, but have about as much insulation ability as a sheet of tracing paper.
Old 16 November 2010, 11:18 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

We have two of these to help alongside the radiator

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...6375&x=19&y=10

They're great as they're instant-on. We just have them on the windowsill pointing in to the room.
Old 16 November 2010, 11:37 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

I pulled mine down and built an extension instead. The difference is night and day and the extension was less cost to build than the conservatory was
Old 16 November 2010, 11:41 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

Cover the whole thing in bubble wrap and install an open log fire.Job done......to a crisp
Old 16 November 2010, 12:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/BEH...rs_Online.html

I have the 200mm version of one of these, plugged into a Wickes programmer which plugs into a 13A socket. In summer I just unplug the rad, but leave the timer plugged in to keep the settings.

The rad I bought has a thermostat so doesn't overheat.
Old 16 November 2010, 12:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

We had an oil filled electric radiator put in ours. It's great, it warms the room up quickly, it's cheap to run and looks like the other radiators on the house to boot. It's attached to the wall and we had a proper digital timer fitted so you could have it nice and toasty warm for when you came down in the mornings or when you got home from work.

Cost us about £250 including installation.

Geezer
Old 16 November 2010, 01:19 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have home heating via a kerosene burner etc, get it Underfloor heated with water pipes. We built our extension 14'x27' and used electric Underfloor heating, our leech bill trebled, now we used it a fair bit but paying 170 a month is just redicilous for electricity alone.
The water gets heated in the same way as your rads and won't work out much more expensive in the long run. Electrical heating elements are hungry by nature so arnt worth it.
Old 16 November 2010, 03:21 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I have a couple of big aircon units that will heat as well as cool (it is a big room). I also went for the best insulation glazimg units I could find (argon filled K-glass - not sure if this is still the best). The aircon units aren't cheap to run but they do mean we can use the room almost all year round. They did struggle to provide any heat in the cold winter last year though - outside temperatures were just too cold.
Old 16 November 2010, 03:37 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Geezer where did you get your rad from?

Alcazar does it work well does it hear the whole room up?

Thanks for the help
Old 16 November 2010, 04:05 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

The electrician who fitted it sourced it for us, I'll try and find out.

Geezer
Old 16 November 2010, 09:00 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Key thing to remember is that conservatories get hot of cold very quickly. I have a Daikin which can push hot ait out very quickly to warm the room and a plug-in electric to top up as it were. Both expensive to run.

I can't afford to keep it warm at night but the problem there is that condensation is rife and you end up with mold on the plastic window frames.

Much will depend on how you intend to use the room. dl
David, how old is your conservatory and is you Daikin a heat cool pump?

Ours is only a couple of years old and the roof material and glass used means the temperature change is relatively minor. The Daikin we had installed is so efficient they were offered on a government incentive scheme at 5% VAT. Our conservatory is permanently open to our dining room/kitchen so we have the Daikin switched on most of the time during the day keeping the room temperature stable. We don't get any condensation and to be honest we haven't noticed any significant increase in electricity costs. The advantage we have found is, during really hot weather we can set the cool temperature low and cool the whole of the downstairs of the house.

My sister had underfloor heating and it was so bad she had a Daikin heat cool pump installed retrospectively.
Old 16 November 2010, 09:05 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Get yourself one of these fella http://www.samsungaccentre.com/downl...vace%202pp.pdf

Last edited by 97TURBO; 16 November 2010 at 09:08 PM.