Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Community > Non Scooby Related
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29 December 2010, 18:35   #1
paulr
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 15,560
Default Self certification less than seven days.

When does it start.

First day of illness or first day off work.
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 18:39   #2
CSW_Scoobie
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 69
Default

Technically the first day you are not available to work, e.g the first day you are sick. How your employer pays you would be contractual. Some employers don't pay for the first 3 days of sickness for example.
CSW_Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 18:46   #3
paulr
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 15,560
Default

So if your shift pattern is 7 on 7 off and you are ill the first day off and it lasts 8 days. This means you would take the frist day off of your next set at work. Could you self certify.
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 19:28   #4
PaulC72
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: RIP Tam.
Posts: 4,665
Default

IMO yes as you are not at work for the first 7 days, it would be like being ill over the weekend and still poorly on the Monday but ok on the Tue you would self cert for one day only assuming you only work mon-fri.
PaulC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 19:38   #5
Toffee
Scooby Regular

 
Toffee's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie View Post
Technically the first day you are not available to work, e.g the first day you are sick. How your employer pays you would be contractual. Some employers don't pay for the first 3 days of sickness for example.
If I was your gaffer I would be thinking if you needed 7 days off work you must have been pretty ill, the fact that you were so ill you would think that you would have been the doctors? Therefore sick note please

Legally > If you were due to work 7 days straight and you never worked any of them you are within your right to put in a self cert, after 1 week a doctors sick note is required.

The norm is accepted as 40 hours over 5 days, however I have staff who work 12 days straight, one of there weeks is a 7 day week, if they had that full week off they could hand in a self cert.

But all said and done I would still be thinking wheres my sick note, if you were that ill why have you not been the doctors? this would leave me feeling suspicious about you sciving off work

Just my thoughts
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 19:53   #6
paulr
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 15,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555EFC View Post
If I was your gaffer I would be thinking if you needed 7 days off work you must have been pretty ill, the fact that you were so ill you would think that you would have been the doctors? Therefore sick note please

Legally > If you were due to work 7 days straight and you never worked any of them you are within your right to put in a self cert, after 1 week a doctors sick note is required.

The norm is accepted as 40 hours over 5 days, however I have staff who work 12 days straight, one of there weeks is a 7 day week, if they had that full week off they could hand in a self cert.

But all said and done I would still be thinking wheres my sick note, if you were that ill why have you not been the doctors? this would leave me feeling suspicious about you sciving off work

Just my thoughts
My question was really about when the 7 days start. I guess if you were ill on your days off who would really know when it started.
As for a sick note for less than seven days, i read some doctors will do one, but there is a charge.
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 20:00   #7
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England somewhere
Posts: 566
Default

weekends are included in self certification calculation say you work monday to friday but go off sick friday and the following monday then although you are only absent for 2 of your actual working days it counts as 4 days and the first day absent from work is your first day to be counted for self certification which might not necessarily be the first day you are sick example go to work on a monday sore throat temperature have the next 3 days off with cold symptoms return to work friday you have 3 days self certs to be recorded upon return to work you will need a "unfit for work note "as they are called now for the eight day onwards if you were still sick

Last edited by Mrfastbaz; 29 December 2010 at 20:02.
Mrfastbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 21:11   #8
Toffee
Scooby Regular

 
Toffee's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
My question was really about when the 7 days start. I guess if you were ill on your days off who would really know when it started.
As for a sick note for less than seven days, i read some doctors will do one, but there is a charge.
Sick note starts from when your sickness made you absent from work, if your illness started when you where not at work this is irrelevant to the business, they are concerned with your "unauthorised absence"
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 21:14   #9
Toffee
Scooby Regular

 
Toffee's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz View Post
weekends are included in self certification calculation say you work monday to friday but go off sick friday and the following monday then although you are only absent for 2 of your actual working days it counts as 4 days and the first day absent from work is your first day to be counted for self certification which might not necessarily be the first day you are sick example go to work on a monday sore throat temperature have the next 3 days off with cold symptoms return to work friday you have 3 days self certs to be recorded upon return to work you will need a "unfit for work note "as they are called now for the eight day onwards if you were still sick
IF your not supposed to be at work the weekend does not count, on a "Return To Work" interview it will ask your 1st day of absence, last day of absence and the number of days absent from work, if you missed Friday and Monday you were absent for 2 days.
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 21:19   #10
scatty
Scooby Regular
 
scatty's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: light weight bitch
Posts: 883
scatty72
Default

as above......

first day of sickness is when you phone up saying you aint going to be in.....
scatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 10:05   #11
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England somewhere
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555EFC View Post
IF your not supposed to be at work the weekend does not count, on a "Return To Work" interview it will ask your 1st day of absence, last day of absence and the number of days absent from work, if you missed Friday and Monday you were absent for 2 days.
i think you will find that weekends are included in the 7 dyas self cet i am a manager in the nhs and we count weekends and also my wife works for a solicitors and on the odd occassion she has been off 7 days includes weekends even though both she and i are not contratced to work weekends unless it is paid overtime which we do not do. so there fore absemt friday and monday you are absen 4 days we have been told by our hr dept if we are fit to work on a saturday even though my dept is not contratced to work saturday we have to call in friday and say we are fit to work on the saturday then the sickness period finsihes on the friday...
Mrfastbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 16:28   #12
CSW_Scoobie
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 69
Default

On the direct gov website it is quite clear to get SSP (Statutory Sick Pay) you need to declare all days that you are not at work as sick days. However you will not be paid SSP until you have been absent from work for three days that you would normally be there.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ured/DG_175843
CSW_Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 17:32   #13
paulr
Scooby Regular
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 15,560
Default

Thanks for all the replies.
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 17:32
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
7dyas, cert, certification, certify, count, days, doctors, hand, illness, nhs, note, number, pay, sick, weekends, work


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:41.


Important - Opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of ScoobyNet or any individuals directly or indirectly involved in this website or the companies and individuals associated with it. No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on this or any associated or relating bulletin board. Your personal information will be kept private except to comply with applicable laws or valid legal reasons.
Email Backups

LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.5.2 © 2010, Crawlability, Inc.