Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Syrian madness

Old 28 June 2011, 09:44 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syrian madness

Sky just showed a leaflet published by the regime which blamed a conspiracy of USA-Zionists-Islamists for spreading lies in the media.

Do they actually believe this?
Old 28 June 2011, 09:47 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Next they will be believing dogs are reincarnations of old adversaries and getting little children to stone them to death...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwg

Last edited by The Zohan; 28 June 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 28 June 2011, 09:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, I don't believe Sky....So I reckon the leaflet is a fake anyway
Old 28 June 2011, 10:00 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well, I don't believe Sky....So I reckon the leaflet is a fake anyway
Same stuff as Assad was saying anyway.
Old 28 June 2011, 10:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You get my point though;

A media conglomerate that profits from twisting, stirring up fear/hatred and sometimes lieing and misreporting doing a report on a leaflet that claims they are doing just that.

Even if they are totally wrong on the facts on this alledged conspiracy, they still see what our media for what it truely is, whereas I'd speculate 'alot' of the UK and the Western world are duped by it (me included in some cases).

So forgive me if I find it all a little ironic.
Old 28 June 2011, 10:54 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Syrian Madness are one of the worse tribute bands, but their 'Night Boat to Cairo' takes some beating.
Old 28 June 2011, 10:58 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
You get my point though;

A media conglomerate that profits from twisting, stirring up fear/hatred and sometimes lieing and misreporting doing a report on a leaflet that claims they are doing just that.

Even if they are totally wrong on the facts on this alledged conspiracy, they still see what our media for what it truely is, whereas I'd speculate 'alot' of the UK and the Western world are duped by it (me included in some cases).

So forgive me if I find it all a little ironic.
Are you serious Ali-B?

I don't deny that Sky often takes a right-wing slant, especially when questioning people but "A media conglomerate that profits from twisting, stirring up fear/hatred and sometimes lieing and misreporting"?!

Are you going to back that up with facts/specifics or just leave it hanging as a generalisation? How does this relate to Sky's reporting of the Syrian conflict? How about the BBC?

I see the western media as having a lot of diversity, a lot of different slants and opinions, which is good since it helps prevent a certain bias or orthodoxy taking hold and becoming corrupt. Having a slant is one thing but lieing another and you will notice there are consequences for lieing in the courts....media/papers have been punished for this such as NOTW etc.
An Egyptian guy I worked with said to me that he didn't like BBC/Sky because they 'told you what to think'. I was quite shocked at this, I never saw the BBC/Sky fro this POV. I still don't think he is right, more confusing the confrontational line that pundits/reporters take when questioning with this (telling you what to think?)....media being 'assertive'. State media is Arab countries is passive, bland, just doles out the official line.

If you watch Iranian press TV it takes a 'questioning' stance...the 'small guy' taking on the powerful etc...it's quite effective propaganda, but propaganda nevertheless since it's all demagoguery.

Anyway I don't believe - as you seem to - that the Syrian regime is responding to 'western media lies' - just with the wrong theory (US-Zionists-Islamists) to blame.

Reality being distorted, truths warped etc is a hallmark of insular authoritarian regimes. Everything Assad said in that Uni speech points to that. I believe he genuinely does blame foreign instigators, Islamist gangs, Zionists etc.
Old 28 June 2011, 11:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Syrian Madness are one of the worse tribute bands, but their 'Night Boat to Cairo' takes some beating.
I have their 'Best Of' album! Baggy Bhuraks is probably my favourite track although Driving in my Cart takes some beating!

Oh and Tony, it seems if the news says what you personally believe but if it is not want you want to hear it is wrong - not a healthy or realistic outlook on life is it really!

Last edited by The Zohan; 28 June 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 28 June 2011, 11:47 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Do they actually believe this?
Do the Syrian regime believe this or the Syrian people? I think it would be unlikely that a regime would believe the propaganda they were putting out in a desperate bid to try and save their own *****.
Old 28 June 2011, 12:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sky just showed a leaflet published by the regime which blamed a conspiracy of USA-Zionists-Islamists for spreading lies in the media
Sounds about right to me. The West's media are in the main anti Muslim/Arab and pro-Israel/Jew/Zionist so where's the surprise?
Old 28 June 2011, 12:54 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sounds about right to me. The West's media are in the main anti Muslim/Arab and pro-Israel/Jew/Zionist so where's the surprise?
In what way is that F1?

The media is constantly going out of it's way to separate Muslim terrorist from mainstream Islam...at one time the even toed the gov position of refering to the Terrorists as 'anti-Muslim Terrorists'.

If the media was really anti-Islam then can you imagine the propaganda opportunity that 7/7 was? A skilled propagandist could have probably had Muslims run out of the country if the mob was receptive enough.
Old 28 June 2011, 12:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Do the Syrian regime believe this or the Syrian people? I think it would be unlikely that a regime would believe the propaganda they were putting out in a desperate bid to try and save their own *****.
I think they probably believe their own propaganda is the point.

Ceausescu believe he was loved by the Romanian people, until that moment on the balcony...you could see moment the penny dropped on his face.

Authoritarian governments don't promote truth....then get so insulated from criticism that reality gets warped on the inside.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:09 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
Oh and Tony, it seems if the news says what you personally believe but if it is not want you want to hear it is wrong - not a healthy or realistic outlook on life is it really!
You just analysed yourself.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You just analysed yourself.
If i am wrong (and sometimes even i am - i admit it, openly) Unlike you Tony you argue black is white. your faith in your own opinion blinds you to everything else and and any other possibilities.
You seem completely blinkered and no not just to me either!

TTFN
Old 28 June 2011, 01:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If i am wrong (and sometimes even i am - i admit it, openly) Unlike you Tony you argue black is white. your faith in your own opinion blinds you to everything else and and any other possibilities.
You seem completely blinkered and no not just to me either!

TTFN
I'm not sure what you point is? If you think trying to argue that the actions of one Jewish Rabbi says anything about Israel then clearly that is a fallacious argument, especially when the 'actions' described didn't actually fit what happened.

Do you have any evidence of this US-Zionist-Islamist conspiracy BTW? Zionists working with Islamists, can you imagine that?
Old 28 June 2011, 02:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what you point is? If you think trying to argue that the actions of one Jewish Rabbi says anything about Israel then clearly that is a fallacious argument, especially when the 'actions' described didn't actually fit what happened.

Do you have any evidence of this US-Zionist-Islamist conspiracy BTW? Zionists working with Islamists, can you imagine that?
No, i mentioned it for a little balance and fun - you only seem to see and therefore take one side and it is never, ever the bacon-dodging rags heads.

Re the Rabid Rabbi dog slayer
I seem to remember that you said the reporting was wrong and a judge is not in a position of power or influence - I posted up a link to the report in an Israeli news paper and you then went all quite, go figure
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=22
Old 28 June 2011, 02:11 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

No, i mentioned it for a little balance and fun - you only seem to see and therefore take one side and it is never, ever the bacon-dodging rags heads.
And it's the best you can do? A non-story?

Re the Rabid Rabbi dog slayer
I seem to remember that you said the reporting was wrong and a judge is not in a position of power or influence - I posted up a link to the report in an Israeli news paper and you then went all quite, go figure
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=22
And the report said it was not an official ruling, all that actually happened - that we can say with certainty - is that the Rabbi asked some kids to throw stones at a dog.

BTW would you say a civil judge in this country has 'power and influence'? Can you name any off the top of your head?

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 28 June 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 30 June 2011, 10:31 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Is the Syrian government right then when it claims that mysterious - Islamist gangs - carried out the massacres of security personnel?
Old 30 June 2011, 11:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

^^^^^^^Perhaps you could go there and find out?