Am i been scammed here?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2011, 10:26 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i been scammed here?

Am i been scammed here?

About a month ago i agreed to buy an Impreza V4 STi engine, VF34 turbo and everything else under the bonnet from a guy who is an active user on here.

I paid a deposit of £100 through paypal and the remainder £1100 by transfer into his wifes bank account once everything was ready to be sent out to me. He even sent me pics of the engine and all the gubbins whilst it was still in the donor car. He initially stated he sent out a pallet to my chosen garage using parcel2go.com. I chased for a tracking number which he failed to provide and eventually stated the pallet has come back to his house.

He then told me he has cancelled work appointments and will personally deliver the pallet to my chosen garage. He failed to do that too stating personal reasons as to why he could not do so. He had to abandon his Impreza Gravel in Birmingham (he's from up north) and catch a train back home as he was over the limit.

Roll on the weekend where he sent me text messages as to how he is getting on a train from up north and on the way to Birmingham to pick up his car and give me my engine (which is in the boot of the Impreza Gravel). Lo and behold he failed to turn up, failed to respond to my messages and failed to communicate. He also never answered my question as to what his address is.

So i found out where he lived and drove up on Sunday. I kept things civil and told him i want my engine. He insisted it is in Birmingham, showed me the location on Google maps and gave me the key to his Impreza Gravel. I drove back, searched far and wide but there is no car. He has failed to answer any of my calls or reply to any messages. I called withholding my number. He answered! He cut me off when he heard my voice so now i was convinced that i've been had for £1200. He then made contact again stating the car is there and he will transfer my money back and it was his hands free kti that cut me off or something along those lines. Last Wednesday he said he made an online transfer. Upto now i still have no money. He now claims he is waiting for the bank.

In the meantime i contacted his local police who were interested in the finer details, also some other forum members have been made aware and are really not happy about it (looking after fellow members type thing). Now i want to keep this as civilised as possible however it irks me as communication is very slow and often me being the person instigating it.

So then SNers, give more benefit of doubt or go legal?
Old 01 December 2011, 10:31 AM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

I'd definitely say go legal, you have given him more than enough chances to sort out, and it's not just £20 we are talking about here. It looks like he's been stringing you along for one reason or another, the icing on the cake is giving you a location and a key for a car that isn't even there!
Old 01 December 2011, 10:40 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Who the user on here then?

Name and shame
Old 01 December 2011, 10:49 AM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

Agree name and shame him, he's taking the total ****! I hate folk like that really boil my blood..
Old 01 December 2011, 10:50 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

does smell of a scam
Old 01 December 2011, 10:52 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

5 pages by tonight

I won't judge yet till we hear the other user side of story
Old 01 December 2011, 11:00 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Am i been
Old 01 December 2011, 11:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Was it BACs or faster payment?

You can reverse a BACs.

Faster payment, you are screwed. (unless things have changed since).

First thing I'd do is go to my bank (in person) and get to speak to someone with regards to being a victim of fraud (of course do say you have informed the police, if you have, bring any reference numbers with you, as well as your ID and relevent sales/transfer info)

Scammer or not, anyone who messes me about for more than a working week (5days after paying ), I'll try and get my money back. Lifes too short.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 December 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01 December 2011, 11:19 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Wasnt Darren@JDM by any chance? AKA Scoobymanuk, Martin! and other known alias's.

I would NEVER transfer that sort of money to someone on the net, i'd want to hear the engine running then pay face to face.
Old 01 December 2011, 11:44 AM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

As has been said, name and shame. You've tried everything you can to get a response, and he is obvioulsy dodging your calls, so putting his username on here might help to get things moving for you.

I would also report to the police as, when it comes to getting money returned by the bank, a crime number can help to give leverage.
Old 01 December 2011, 11:54 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay peeps.

Now It was daft of me to send the monies in the first place but at the time I could not collect and the offer of delivering straight to the garage seemed very convenient.

The user is SonicVR6. I checked up on him before paying and everyone came back with he's a nice decent chap so I had no reason to suspect otherwise. Now it's gone on long enough I have no option other than taking the legal route. That is unless I receive my monies and we can put the while episode behind us
Old 01 December 2011, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I also think you have to bring in the legal fellows, but think you should not have named him yet.

Les
Old 01 December 2011, 12:06 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I know Shaid personally. He really is a good guy.

Mate where did you go last Satuday didn't get a chance to say bye.

Check your pm.
Old 01 December 2011, 12:08 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaid

Now It was daft of me to send the monies in the first place but at the time I could not collect and the offer of delivering straight to the garage seemed very convenient.

The user is SonicVR6. I checked up on him before paying and everyone came back with he's a nice decent chap so I had no reason to suspect otherwise. Now it's gone on long enough I have no option other than taking the legal route. That is unless I receive my monies and we can put the while episode behind us
No way I know him through the forum as well. I thought he was a safe person to do business with as well. I don't blame you for trusting him.
Old 01 December 2011, 12:08 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
I know Shaid personally. He really is a good guy.

Mate where did you go last Satuday didn't get a chance to say bye.

Check your pm.
I had to drop off my nephews and take a stupid mate all the way to surrey as he won the bid on a battered BMW with a smoking problem!

Thanks mate
Old 01 December 2011, 01:36 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Suprised to hear it was Sonic. It might be good to hear his side of the story and i'm sure it can all be sorted out .
Old 01 December 2011, 01:45 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

New user though fella, only been here for 6 months:

https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=120628

A good rule of thumb is to not spend £'s that you can't afford to lose esp when dealing with "strangers" ...

TX.
Old 01 December 2011, 01:55 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
New user though fella, only been here for 6 months:

https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=120628

A good rule of thumb is to not spend £'s that you can't afford to lose esp when dealing with "strangers" ...

TX.
I met him on another forum and found another motoring club of which he is member of.

I'd welcome his side of events though.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:06 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

hmm the same guy who is raising funds to buy the snowplow
Old 01 December 2011, 02:08 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

and was only a short while ago, and seemed to reply to your post on clarkson thread.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:08 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I think there is more than meets the eye here. I don't think it was a blatant scam i just reckon there's something else going on that he's not telling you...
Old 01 December 2011, 02:15 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
I think there is more than meets the eye here. I don't think it was a blatant scam i just reckon there's something else going on that he's not telling you...

He did mention some personal issues at home whenever he did get in touch but all he needed to do was call me and say 'hey Shaid, x, y and z' and I'd be cool. It's the no communications, one line text messages and pm's that really irk me.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:19 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
and was only a short while ago, and seemed to reply to your post on clarkson thread.
Thanks for the heads up.

He apparently transferred monies back to me last Wednesday evening but I have received nothing yet. Although he did state he is waiting for a call back from his bank.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:22 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

All this waiting for calls from banks and money not appearing always sounds dodgy to me.
In all my years of transferring money between accounts i have never ever had to wait for a phone call from the bank. It just gets done.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:24 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Sold twice, you were the lower amount, feels awkward admitting it. That's my bet.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:25 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

oh and sonic was online an hour ago so i imagine he has seen this thread.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:33 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-or-house.html

guy is full of ****, reckons he got paid £40k in 1 month
Old 01 December 2011, 02:47 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-or-house.html

guy is full of ****, reckons he got paid £40k in 1 month
He did mention his solar panel business and we were due to speak about it as I could possibly offer him some houses do to depending on the t & c's associated with such installations. Seems a little daft to throw something like this away for £1200 though.
Old 01 December 2011, 02:49 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
Wasnt Darren@JDM by any chance? AKA Scoobymanuk, Martin! and other known alias's.

I would NEVER transfer that sort of money to someone on the net, i'd want to hear the engine running then pay face to face.

Me neither
Old 01 December 2011, 02:55 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

He did mention his solar panel business and we were due to speak about it as I could possibly offer him some houses do to depending on the t & c's associated with such installations. Seems a little daft to throw something like this away for £1200 though.
The guy is full of ****! Sonic that is. All this solar panel bollox and 40k comission baloney, the guy is a regular Walter Mitty. He has had ample chance to come and state his side of things.

Quick Reply: Am i been scammed here?