J4CKO's midle aged spread...

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2012, 01:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J4CKO's midle aged spread...

Calling the Scoobynet Tubbers....

Ok, have been getting a bit lazy and greedy of late, my BP was a bit high so need to lose some podge, nudging 17 stone (am 6ft), couldn't believe it and am pissed off with myself, been drinking more than I normally ever did, working from home and not cycling as much, hasnt helped having tendonitis in my foot.

I am three pounds down so far, long way to go, the doctor said I should be 13 stone so will go for that as tend to always think I am in some way special and should be 14-15, daresay I will be happy at 14 but will see how it goes, bit daunting but I have settled into it this week and it isn't so bad. Need to go from 235 pounds to 182, over 50 pounds, seems like a massive amount and really, I don't actually look that fat.

I have downloaded an app (Free !) called MyFitnessPal for my Ipad, can get it on Android or just log onto their website, have to say it is a revelation, you record all your food an it imports stuff from the internet, had some Spicy Mexican bean soup from Sainsburys and it finds it with the exact nutritional information, you have to remember to add all the other stuff like if you have spread on your toast, you think it is going to be a pain in the **** but after a while it is dead easy as it remembers all the stuff you had so if you have the other one in a packet later you can just add it easily. Might be a bit **** but I think it will work for me as it does the calorie counting accurately and gives you a breakdown of carbs, protein and fat, or if you want it, sodium, potassium and all that. You can add your exercise in it as well and it alters the total, seems a bit over generous with the calories for exercise tho. Thought it might be worth mentioning if anyone else is in the same position.

So, anyone want to join me in shedding this sodding belly once and for all ?

Am going on holiday in 10 weeks so want to have at least a stone off, hopefully more.

Am cutting out all booze, cant lose weight if you drink 4 or 5 cans two or three times a week, might have a glass of wine once a week but not yet.

I took my lunch of the soup today, had half and will have the rest later when I get hungry, seems to help spacing food out rather than stuff my face, feel bloated and then hungry again.

Last edited by J4CKO; 18 May 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the same thing. About 1600 cals a day with plenty of cycling. Still had beer at weekends.

Lost over 3 stone.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Good to know, I was managing it quite well last year but went a bit off the rails, it reckons my 50 min round trip to work on my bike burns 900 odd calories, no way, I reckon 500 or so.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:23 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

no beer yeah right!
Old 18 May 2012, 01:25 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

<Snazzy>Lighterlife for men</Snazzy>

I could do with it, I tried to keep up with my Newfoundland, swimming in the lake, I was worn out after just 10m attempting to keep up. In the end I let him tow me back to shore.

I'm finding now I've started a hog roasting business, I'm eating less, and I don't even think about picking at the food. I've been coming home with 5kg of surplus pork from most jobs, but it doesn't appeal after serving it up to the masses. Strange, as I love pork.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:27 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

do you fancy a couple of hours on sunday?
meet you at the ship or something
Old 18 May 2012, 01:28 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I'm already using that app. User michaeltoye if you want a 'friend' lol
Old 18 May 2012, 01:29 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

I could do with it, I tried to keep up with my Newfoundland, swimming in the lake, I was worn out after just 10m attempting to keep up. In the end I let him tow me back to shore.

I'm finding now I've started a hog roasting business, I'm eating less, and I don't even think about picking at the food. I've been coming home with 5kg of surplus pork from most jobs, but it doesn't appeal after serving it up to the masses. Strange, as I love pork.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

Hog Roasting Business ?

Thought you were a Policeman ?

I sort of see the connection, and perhaps why Police numbers are falling.....
Old 18 May 2012, 01:32 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Hog Roasting Business ?

Thought you were a Policeman ?

I sort of see the connection, and perhaps why Police numbers are falling.....
From one sort of pig to another!
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
do you fancy a couple of hours on sunday?
meet you at the ship or something

Yep, might do if foot behaving.

But no, no beer, for a good while anyway.
CEL
Scooby Regular

I need to loose some lard too. Sounds like I'm in a similar situation and got there pretty much the same way you have. Drinking too much booze. I'm 6ft 3" and guessing going on for 18 stone.

I have been saying to myself I'm going to get the bike out for weeks. Next week, I'm on it, need to just do it sometimes.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
I'm already using that app. User michaeltoye if you want a 'friend' lol
Done, we are now Tubby Buddies !
Old 18 May 2012, 01:35 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Once you start listing down the amount of calories consumed a day it can be scary. You soon learn whats good and whats not.

If I am buying something new I always turn the packet upside down and read the data. Harvester recently added the calories to the menu.....I tell you, then lost a dessert order from me at that point!
Old 18 May 2012, 01:38 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

fanny,

can pick you up and we can go in st anthonys.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:38 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Done, we are now Tubby Buddies !
Speak for yourself

Its pretty simple. Stick to the calories and try to keep the fat calories down too. I've become an expert on how to get the most food from the least calories!
Old 18 May 2012, 01:43 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I think fitday.com has a similar tracker for diet, exercise etc
Old 18 May 2012, 01:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
fanny,

can pick you up and we can go in st anthonys.
Yep, in a few months when I am fit, alcohol isn't good for blood pressure and I need to get it down, don't want to blow a gasket at 41.

Just too it now, 138/83, it has been higher but it isn't great, really don't want to end up on the BP pills, my thinking is that you end up with one pill, then another, then one to counteract the first and then end up taking 15 a day.
Old 18 May 2012, 01:58 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Sounds very familar, since our boy came along there is a lot more temptation to eat bad food / get a take aways etc. I don't really have the time for regular cycling anymore either and unfortunately the commute (20 miles each way) is just a bit too far to do.

Been drinking more of late as well, had 24 bottles of wine delievered by Tesco on 24th April and I suspect it will all be gone by the end of the weekend, with help from the wife mind. Not sure I could ever give up on the booze completely, just too much of an alchy

Oh well, maybe I need to have a bit of a concerted effort soon.
Old 18 May 2012, 02:19 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm going to try that app!! Thanks jacko
Old 18 May 2012, 02:28 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I basically stuck to 1500 calories a day. What worked for me was to skip breakfast - I am naturally hungrier in the evening than the morning anyway.

I can fit in a pair of 30" jeans now, I don't snore at all, i can drive 500 miles in a weekend without being tired now, no afternoon naps (embarrassing at work!) and plenty of room in an airline seat!!!
Old 18 May 2012, 02:28 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Barcode scanner is brilliant also :thumbs:
Old 18 May 2012, 02:38 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Just downloaded myfitnesspal. Put in my details and goals. Started back at the gym this week after a 10 year 'break'. Only put a goal of losing 1lb a week and bugger me if I've only got 788 calories left in my daily allowance
Realisation that "I'll lose weight next month" never really ever happens and I'm fully aware that the older you get the harder it is to get rid of the extra weight.
Old 18 May 2012, 02:43 PM
New_scooby_04

Calling the Scoobynet Tubbers....

Ok, have been getting a bit lazy and greedy of late, my BP was a bit high so need to lose some podge, nudging 17 stone (am 6ft), couldn't believe it and am pissed off with myself, been drinking more than I normally ever did, working from home and not cycling as much, hasnt helped having tendonitis in my foot.

I am three pounds down so far, long way to go, the doctor said I should be 13 stone so will go for that as tend to always think I am in some way special and should be 14-15, daresay I will be happy at 14 but will see how it goes, bit daunting but I have settled into it this week and it isn't so bad. Need to go from 235 pounds to 182, over 50 pounds, seems like a massive amount and really, I don't actually look that fat.

I have downloaded an app (Free !) called MyFitnessPal for my Ipad, can get it on Android or just log onto their website, have to say it is a revelation, you record all your food an it imports stuff from the internet, had some Spicy Mexican bean soup from Sainsburys and it finds it with the exact nutritional information, you have to remember to add all the other stuff like if you have spread on your toast, you think it is going to be a pain in the **** but after a while it is dead easy as it remembers all the stuff you had so if you have the other one in a packet later you can just add it easily. Might be a bit **** but I think it will work for me as it does the calorie counting accurately and gives you a breakdown of carbs, protein and fat, or if you want it, sodium, potassium and all that. You can add your exercise in it as well and it alters the total, seems a bit over generous with the calories for exercise tho. Thought it might be worth mentioning if anyone else is in the same position.

So, anyone want to join me in shedding this sodding belly once and for all ?

Am going on holiday in 10 weeks so want to have at least a stone off, hopefully more.

Am cutting out all booze, cant lose weight if you drink 4 or 5 cans two or three times a week, might have a glass of wine once a week but not yet.

I took my lunch of the soup today, had half and will have the rest later when I get hungry, seems to help spacing food out rather than stuff my face, feel bloated and then hungry again.

The thing people often get wrong with losing weight is thinking starving themselves will work. It won't. They key is to eat little and often and make sure your metabolism is getting going by doing a spot of activity in the day, especially in the morning..

If you make a point of it to doing something resonably active everyday, do some form of substantial exercise 3 times a week cut out the fatty/sugary stuff on weekdays, ditto alcohol, the weight will soon come off!

You don't have to live like a monk!
Old 18 May 2012, 02:46 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

fat ftw anyone want to guess my weight??
Old 18 May 2012, 03:07 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Think I'll download this app when I get home, need to shed a couple of stone myself
Old 18 May 2012, 03:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

The thing people often get wrong with losing weight is thinking starving themselves will work. It won't. They key is to eat little and often and make sure your metabolism is getting going by doing a spot of activity in the day, especially in the morning..

If you make a point of it to doing something resonably active everyday, do some form of substantial exercise 3 times a week cut out the fatty/sugary stuff on weekdays, ditto alcohol, the weight will soon come off!

You don't have to live like a monk!

Yes, agree with all that, I used to as a teenager/20's lad starve myself for a few days and then lapse, you need to eat, that is all there is to it, just need to eat the right stuff in sensible quantities. Think as a country we have gone from things like a McDonalds being an occasional treat to routine, alcohol is available everywhere in vast quantities and we rely on it to enjoy ourselves.

I am trying to get out walking everyday but depends on my foot, will get back on my bike next week, not been on it this week but when I do it does make a difference, and it is enjoyable, been at it for four years now but it has become less frequent.

1600 calories doesn't give much scope for exciting foods if you select from the carby/fatty end of the scale but the Soup I had for lunch was 358 calories and I ate it in two goes, just had the rest now, think doing it that way you get to stay fuller for longer, been taking a sandwich to work and usually I have noshed it by lunch but have been pacing that as well.

I am pretty greedy, my problem is I wolf food down quickly and don't stop until I have had too much, I kind of overshoot on what I need so am recognising this, along with my tendency to over order, went to TGI Fridays and ordered a salad where normally I would order the biggest thing there is and a side or two, felt perfectly full as the salad was plenty, its like I get agitated if I am not getting more than i need, a blow out is ok now and again but shouldn't be the default position. Think it is about changing the relationship with food as much as anything.

I always go for snacks like crisps and stuff, get in from work, a bag of crisps, get peckish later on, more crisps, it takes a bi of willpower but actually, an Apple instead isnt that horrendous. I find my palate changes as well, like going form having sugar in tea to not, you get used to it then sugary tea is just that, sugary and you prefer it without, a lot of bigger people I suppose are just fixated on carbs, fat, salt sugar and that becomes their default, anything lower fat tastes lame, takes time to re-educate yourself.
Old 18 May 2012, 03:35 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'll join ya Jacko.

At the weekend I got my multi-gym out, and I'm lightly getting back into it all. Need to loose a few pounds OR convert what I do have to muscle (probably a bit of both).

Got a tyre that needs shifting, so like you :-

1 Cutting out beer in the week
2. Exercise each night
3. Gotta get an inner-tube for my MTB this weekend, but get that up and running.
4. Bit of jogging (whilst walking/running the dog!_
5. Cutting out heavy fat stuff.

My goal is for my 15th Wedding Anniversary in July (middle of).... having a big party (been together 20 yrs too) so it would be nice to be less sizable than I am now

Will subscribe to this, just so I can keep motivated (if that's the aim of this thread!)

OK currently 14st 2lb. We'll see how it goes.

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 18 May 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 18 May 2012, 03:37 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

For me, I know the main problem I have is that I haven't done any exercise for years. I work from home so don't even need to leave the house most days.
Old 18 May 2012, 04:37 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

good luck

easily loose some weight, once start monitoring nutrition,

just remeber initial weight loss is often down to a drop in how much water your holding.

but even thats beneficial - have to understand it takes time to build up fat, and it takes time for it come off
being realistic in goals and diet help with consistancy - and thats what its all about, staying consistant

good luck

Quick Reply: J4CKO's midle aged spread...