Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf R400

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2014, 10:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Golf R400

Proper Golf, wonder how much this will be.

Old 22 April 2014, 11:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't like the yellow bits. 0-62 seems about half a second slow for the power to weight, dual clutch with launch control.
Old 23 April 2014, 06:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

More than 50k

?http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...icial-picture/
Old 23 April 2014, 07:03 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought someone said subaru were dead in the UK.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...eza-confirmed/

Sounds like this one will go round corners as well

Last edited by dpb; 23 April 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:40 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

If it's more than 50k then I'd be sad, I also read that it's limited runs so I can't get excited yet.

I think a golf R tuned would be probably cheaper and as good, that being said, something about the drive shaft or train seemed to be mentioned, making me think. Even thought it's the same tsi engine with a large turbo, doing such a thing to the R may rip something off.

A guy near me has just sold his A45 and he had the renntech tuning box which retails at 2300 euros he wants 800 I'm tempted as this gives me 414bhp, but I'm always worried about warranty. And no way am I paying brabus 2300 for the same bloody thing, just to keep the warranty.

Think I,ll ride out on 360 for a year or 2 then tune her with rebellions 600 quider
Old 23 April 2014, 07:41 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only VW to ever make me think 'I like that'.
Old 23 April 2014, 10:27 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'ts a bit of a lard **** at 1400kg and would get mullered by a 15yr old STI Type R running 330bhp, and costing less than 10k not much performance bang for buck.

Don't see the point of it tbh when there are so many cars for half the money and less that will out perform it.

I'd like to know how it compares to other hot hatches around the Ring.

oh and just in case you can't tell, I don't like it, just another boring golf.
Old 23 April 2014, 11:01 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The appeal compared to a modified Subaru is low tax, fuel economy, refinement, comfort, gearbox, servicing and reliability.

Evo X fails on all but comfort and reliability and is heavier. Used GTR fails on tax, economy, but a later model would arguably be needed for servicing frequency (if not cost) and comfort. Used 997 Turbo is probably the nearest in these criteria, but fails on tax, economy, gearbox arguably, practicality. Used TTRS also sounds like a nice all rounder. A45 or B8 S4 also?

To have nearly 300 BHP/ton in a Golf whilst retaining the best bits of the Golf is potentially appealing, if reliable and they ride properly they are very easy to live with, hold value etc.

Last edited by john banks; 23 April 2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 23 April 2014, 11:04 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

The mkII focus rs500 is 2wd and 350 bhp but would have over a VW. And for £50,000 you would get sick of trying to justify it to people why not just buy a m3/rs4 or some amg . They mite not be quite as quick but if all you want is figures then it sill don't make sense. You can just buy a blob sti with 570ish bhp for £10,000 that I saw the other day. Just another car for Jay Lenos garage.
Old 23 April 2014, 11:11 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

I think Johns right, where missing the point, there will be a lot of cars that in essence would give it a run for the money,

But TAX/MPG refinement and as the say it the Super Hatch is where its targeted.
But if its 50K then a tad too much, if it was 35 38K id buy 1 for the wife. I expect Limited Numbers also.

I think one of the Posts comments that the new TTRS is 414BHP using the same block, so looks like VAG will be hammering out that engine to compete with the new Super Hatchs like A45 etc.

See what Mercs Black Edition brings to the table, probably need a lottery win to own 1 80K + I bet
Old 23 April 2014, 11:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
The appeal compared to a modified Subaru is low tax, fuel economy, refinement, comfort, gearbox, servicing and reliability.

Evo X fails on all but comfort and reliability and is heavier. Used GTR fails on tax, economy, but a later model would arguably be needed for servicing frequency (if not cost) and comfort. Used 997 Turbo is probably the nearest in these criteria, but fails on tax, economy, gearbox arguably, practicality. Used TTRS also sounds like a nice all rounder. A45 or B8 S4 also?

To have nearly 300 BHP/ton in a Golf whilst retaining the best bits of the Golf is potentially appealing, if reliable and they ride properly they are very easy to live with, hold value etc.
Valid points i'm sure until you add something in the region of 30/40% minimum depreciation over lets be generous and say 5 yrs. the Golf R and all of the above will have lost circa £30k. never mind running costs it's the TRUE cost of ownership over that time that scares me. I can think of so many better way to spend 30k than on how I get from A to B on a daily basis.
Old 23 April 2014, 11:24 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

In many ways, this engine could be a great all rounder in many higher performance VAG cars. I wonder how it would be in an S4 or S6? I suspect it would be as economical as a 3.0 TDI but sound as smooth?
Old 23 April 2014, 11:52 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Valid points i'm sure until you add something in the region of 30/40% minimum depreciation over lets be generous and say 5 yrs. the Golf R and all of the above will have lost circa £30k. never mind running costs it's the TRUE cost of ownership over that time that scares me. I can think of so many better way to spend 30k than on how I get from A to B on a daily basis.
My personal depreciation comfort threshold is up to about £4k a year over my projected ownership and the only one substantially exceeding this was an M3 so I got rid of it.

I expect a new Golf R400 kept for 5 years could exceed that, but it might be close depending on reviews, popularity, numbers etc.
Old 23 April 2014, 12:14 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

My personal depreciation comfort threshold is up to about £4k a year over my projected ownership and the only one substantially exceeding this was an M3 so I got rid of it.

I expect a new Golf R400 kept for 5 years could exceed that, but it might be close depending on reviews, popularity, numbers etc.
That £4k per year still wipes out any savings on tax and fuel by a very significant margin. VW aren't renowned for their reliability or cheap parts either these days so plenty of scope for costs to spiral, I doubt that service items will be cheap on a car of this nature, i'll wager it'll be nigh on £1k for new discs and pads plus some other costly consumables along the way to keep the dealers service/parts department ticking along nicely.

I really struggle to see the appeal of a lot of these modern cars other than keeping up with mr Jones or look I can afford a new car, because to me they are financial madness. I could buy one if I really wanted to but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, it's a kin to flushing money down the toilet in my mind.
Old 23 April 2014, 12:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I thought £4k a year depreciation is quite conservative for a nice motor, as many will spend that on something very average, although they may have better economy, running costs and always be in warranty. I usually end up spending broadly about the same as the depreciation in other running costs. This even applied to my Legacy doing my own spannering. A newer car where nothing is rusted, the suspension is fresh does have an appeal, in car tech is also nice on newer stuff. Gearbox and engine tech has moved on dramatically. Overall, for me, a nearly new Audi will cost about twice as much to run as a 10 year old Subaru including fuel, depreciation etc. It handles better, is quieter, smoother by far, gearbox could make three changes in the time the Subaru did one, brakes are better and the fuel economy is 50% better with 50% better in gear acceleration. It feels worth it to me.
Old 23 April 2014, 01:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I can't see it being £50k+, but do see it sitting early £40k, as this car will also be the underpinning for the new RS3.

So if the RS3 is £50k, it'll take sales from the S4.
Old 23 April 2014, 01:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Knowing the Germans, chances are this will be LHD only?
Old 23 April 2014, 01:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't think so with transverse engine and Haldex? Seems a very BMW and Mercedes thing not to re-engineer (m)any of their longitudinal engine AWD cars to RHD due to steering/packaging. Taking MQB platform that already has RHD and front driveshaft and adding a propshaft shouldn't be any more difficult than other VAG models as this is basically just a stronger engine and gearbox than the existing Golf R/S3 with the usual go faster suspension/brakes?
Old 23 April 2014, 01:49 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Knowing the Germans, chances are this will be LHD only?
Nothing wrong with LHD
Old 23 April 2014, 01:49 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Boring german car yawn
Old 23 April 2014, 01:56 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

50K for a euro hatch
Old 23 April 2014, 03:11 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I thought £4k a year depreciation is quite conservative for a nice motor, as many will spend that on something very average, although they may have better economy, running costs and always be in warranty. I usually end up spending broadly about the same as the depreciation in other running costs. This even applied to my Legacy doing my own spannering. A newer car where nothing is rusted, the suspension is fresh does have an appeal, in car tech is also nice on newer stuff. Gearbox and engine tech has moved on dramatically. Overall, for me, a nearly new Audi will cost about twice as much to run as a 10 year old Subaru including fuel, depreciation etc. It handles better, is quieter, smoother by far, gearbox could make three changes in the time the Subaru did one, brakes are better and the fuel economy is 50% better with 50% better in gear acceleration. It feels worth it to me.
Yes I can see something of an attraction since your last subaru was a legacy, but are you sure it's only going to work out at twice as much to run seeing as you stumped up the best part of £30k for the pleasure and you'd just fixed everything that needed doing on the legacy to make it trouble free for another 10yrs, for some lucky bugger, have you sold it yet buy the way? that's my kind of bargain at £2k.
Old 23 April 2014, 03:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pacenote
50K for a euro hatch
Exactly.
Old 23 April 2014, 03:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I traded it in for £2250, someone will get a nice car at auction if they can see beyond it being a large petrol engine with a ponderous auto box. If the A8 carried on depreciating at the rate it has from new it would be worth zero at Xmas, can't see me taking a bath on it now, but I don't care as it is honestly the best car I've ever had, even after the honeymoon period.
Old 23 April 2014, 05:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Someone is going to get a corker.

I'm pleased for you and no doubt you'll keep it for a good few years.
Old 23 April 2014, 06:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yawn...yet ANOTHER overboosted 2.0 4pot

The market is flooded with them already, why does VW think it'll sell more with a increased price tag and extra BHP.

Inline four cylinder engines have no charisma, the EA888 in normal R form is no exception, nor the GTi. Extra horsepower won't make it any better in that respect, just make it faster. And possibly more laggy too.

This car should have the 5cylinder engine out the TTRS/RS3. It sounds superb and naturally has more torque before needing the turbo to assist it. I would've had the 5pot RS3 myself to replace my Golf, if they had offered it in a 3door with a manual transmission (they don't)...at least they got that right with this Golf.

Its all about road presence....looks and statistics are nothing without the soundtrack to accompany it. To put it another way, just a few minutes ago a Aston Martin DB9 just thrashed it past my office...I got up and looked out the window to see what it was. If this Golf did the same, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, and would just carry on typing this.

Hint: A turbocharged TFSI 3.6 VR6 engined Golf would be worthy of a £40+K pricetag. Although for that much I think I'll just buy a secondhand RS4 instead.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 April 2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 23 April 2014, 08:34 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

has price been announced yet? given the standard one is £30k before any options are added then 50k is prob about where it will be at a guess.
Old 23 April 2014, 09:01 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's even confirmed as a production model yet, just a concept.

50k for a Golf

Originally Posted by Tidgy
has price been announced yet? given the standard one is £30k before any options are added then 50k is prob about where it will be at a guess.
Old 23 April 2014, 09:26 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Golf R with stage 1 remap are seeing +360bhp & new are approx £32k.
Old 23 April 2014, 09:33 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

The days of V8 & large 6 cylinder engines are numbered and we might as well all start getting used to 2.0 litre 4 pot turbo, fuel efficient engines!
This VW EA888 4 cylinder engine is now being put in the new entry level Porsche Maccan.

I too love the sound of a DB9 & prefer the lovely rasp of my friends 6 cylinder Mk5 R32 over the souped up new 4 pot Golfs but times are a changing....

Quick Reply: Golf R400