Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Remap Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2014, 11:11 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remap Ordered

Ok so after lots of reviewing reading and ringing ive now decided on the Vendor for the A45 remap.

I spoke to RENNtech in Germany as its listed at 2650 Euros, after speaking to Luke the CEO and discussing detectability, how they developed it, and the competitor landscape I got one.

I didn't pay anywhere near that by the way, in fact its cheaper than rebellions.

I should have it by Friday and will update on the progress.

I was like most of us with A45 sceptical as its early days, but with the like of MSL and RENNtech remapping them, as well as Brabus actually selling it, Im pretty sure its fine.

Time will tell.

I wont be going mad after this although I would like 500BHP, 420 is enough for me, the thing flys as it is, I just need to be able to keep the Golf Rs at bay

Brabus was the sensible choice but with a price hike from 1950 to 3950 its a joke...

There is a post on MBclub that GAD have just released the 435BHP A45 but after speaking to Luke, he told me how they did it. Its basically run on 102 Octane fuel to get the figures. but has no Midrange torque. RENNtechs is tuned to give good range all the way.

Last edited by Littleted; 12 August 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12 August 2014, 11:13 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely Mercedes can detect whether the ECU has been modified or not?
Old 12 August 2014, 12:07 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Well this is the question everyones keep asking.

Its a Piggy Back Unit , the ECU itself hasn't been cracked yet. All I know is a lot of A45s are running both Renntechs and Rebellions units and none as of yet have had anything detected by MB.

Now as some of us on here are sceptical, the recent Turbo issues MB may tighten the belt, and as you say if needed they could I suppose look for one.

but after speaking to RENNtech and there USA CEO being X MB AMG himself. and the way they build the box, Luke was pretty sure it was.

But im prob like you, if your cars parameters are set for xx and piggyback box exceeds XX then surely its detectable..

I even spoke to MSL in Birmingham who are Weistec UK and even he said MB wont detect it.. How I don't know...
Only 1 box was detected and that was by a company called EVOTECH but they don't state its undetectable....

Last edited by Littleted; 12 August 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12 August 2014, 12:14 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Anyway, you're just being greedy now.
Old 12 August 2014, 12:38 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

just found a post by RENNtech regarding the engine, didn't know half of this was in the car.

Forged pistons, connecting rods with larger shaft diameter, forged steel crankshaft and steel bearing caps (5 support bearings), split water jacket, a very short air path (with low pressure loss between the raw air intake and the cylinder head intake port ), twin-scroll turbocharger, 2 stage oil pump...

wrote it already, we can't tell for sure yet at which stage the fuel pump or INJ will need to be upgraded, definitely not until 435-440hp as far as what I have seen and logged.
The injector fitted, a piezo-actuated injector, is the same INJ used in Mercedes/AMG six- and eight-cylinder gasoline engines – from the 1.6 through to the 5.5-l unit.

If a stage will need those parts to be upgraded, it will take some time to find adequate parts anyway as you can't even get other spark plugs for this engine because the IGN and INJ system is MB specific (at least the spark plugs are already NGK 8 grade).

Nice to know too

To access "Dynomode", follow the following instructions:

- before turning off ignition, navigate to the "mileage screen"
- turn off key and close door
- do not touch any pedals or buttons other than described next
- put key in ignition
- turn to position1
- at the steering wheel: press and hold "answer"-button followed by "ok" in fast succession
- a new menu will appear on screen use left "Up & Down" arrows to navigate to "roller test"
- press "OK" to enable
- turn on ignition

Last edited by Littleted; 12 August 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12 August 2014, 12:59 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you said it was good enough and not what the car is about for you, just goes to show what us men are like when we get a new toy.

The build spec of the engine does look impressive but with it being early days are you not worried about the engine going bang, I mean it's not like its a slow car in the first place and it would cost 4-5k at least to put right I would have thought.
Old 12 August 2014, 01:05 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chris j t
I thought you said it was good enough and not what the car is about for you, just goes to show what us men are like when we get a new toy.

The build spec of the engine does look impressive but with it being early days are you not worried about the engine going bang, I mean it's not like its a slow car in the first place and it would cost 4-5k at least to put right I would have thought.
4-5? At least double that.
Old 12 August 2014, 01:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you can see why manufacturers would have an interest in finding out if the ECU performance parameters had been tampered with
Old 12 August 2014, 01:39 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

I not a man who tracks nor hammers it ill prob drive like miss daisy most of the time.

But I get the points and I have been thinking about them for a while. I may not even plug it in for a bit, but the price I was given was a one time only kinda deal... so I thought why not.
Old 12 August 2014, 02:03 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
I not a man who tracks nor hammers it ill prob drive like miss daisy most of the time.

But I get the points and I have been thinking about them for a while. I may not even plug it in for a bit, but the price I was given was a one time only kinda deal... so I thought why not.
Well you know what they say, he who dares wins. good luck although probably won't need it.
Old 12 August 2014, 05:28 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

You're a braver man than me, doing that to a new car under warranty.

I'll be happy with just the 431bhp the M3 will give.

Last edited by zip106; 12 August 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 19 August 2014, 11:42 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Perhaps you should ask John Bank's opinion on this as he has been mapping cars for years. He reckons all remaps will leave evidence even if flashed back to standard. You mentioned that only one box was detected but that's because at your standard service they aren't looking for it.

Ask them for a new engine worth upwards of £10k (I was told a complete new engine on my M5 cost £20k) and they will look harder.

If you are happy to take that small risk then it's not a problem, but go into it with your eyes wide open.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 19 August 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 19 August 2014, 12:32 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

it doesnt flash it, its kind of an Inline thing, Plugin run car unplug have service.

Ive spoken to RENNtech at great length and my understanding is its seemless. A lot of the guys run Rebellions and have had servces done without a hitch, that being said if MB wanted to detect im sure they could do.....

RENNtch use something called OE datalogging which not many have access to ( unsure as i dont know what it is LOL )

here are the links to the chat when RENNtech were developing it.

http://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/re...628_page1.html

http://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/re...topic2051.html

John care to comment ?

Last edited by Littleted; 19 August 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 19 August 2014, 06:35 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Man the guy selling it is going to tell you it's as safe as anything, of course he wants a sale

But heaven forbid anything went wrong and merc have a full data log on your ECU, you are screwed!

They will have a dedicated department who buys these mods to detect when they have been used

Crazy guy! Best of luck man but no way would I be messing around with a £40k car under warrenty
Old 19 August 2014, 06:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

MB and Bosch are cleverer than me, and I for sure would have tuning detection for flash and piggyback, and there are many ways to do so that have cross checks and plausibility that would require many sensors to be manipulated. That the dealer level logging and servicing tools don't show anything doesn't convince, see what happens with engine and gearbox claims. Use with your eyes wide open, if you play, you pay.
Old 19 August 2014, 08:08 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by XDevil666
Man the guy selling it is going to tell you it's as safe as anything, of course he wants a sale

But heaven forbid anything went wrong and merc have a full data log on your ECU, you are screwed!

They will have a dedicated department who buys these mods to detect when they have been used
^This.
Old 19 August 2014, 08:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Ted ignore the numpties. It's your car and what you choose to do with it has nothing to do with them. Their comments are likely based on no personal experiences whatsoever. What these people don't understand is that AMG engines are in a different league compared to the likes of Subaru and so they should be as they cost an arm and a leg.

I know of at least 5 6.3s running 700 - 850bhp with no ill effects, countless 55Ks running well over stock again with no problems and your engine should be no different to these. Also Renntech aren't some backstreet outfit, their products cost a lot because there is acres of development put into them.

That said ultimately what John Banks says is right.... in the extremely unlikely event something does go wrong you will have to be prepared to possibly cough up, but I am sure you realise that without anyone telling you.

On the subject of piggyback boxes with the latest 63 twin turbo tuning/piggyback boxes you simply unplug and remove them to return the engine to stock and I wonder if yours would be the same. One lad I know removes his before it goes in for a service.Takes about 10 minutes with a screwdriver. I know if they went looking they would find evidence of it, but they aren't going to look if there is nothing to see.

Additionally Renntech are well respected by Mercedes so I highly doubt you will have any issues as they wouldn't want to break that relationship by producing a poor tune.

Enjoy!
Old 19 August 2014, 09:15 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

It's exactly that F1 it's 4 connectors nothing major. Takes about 2 mins to un lip and clip in, no tools needed...

I spoke to Luke who owns RENNtech Germany they have just opened a new flagship office at the nurbergring, and he told me what's what, obviously I'm not daft and I'm also skeptical as most on here are, and yeah I suppose he would tell me what I want to hear, Bt renntech are the world leaders in MB tuning along with Weistec what he says has to carry some weight surely....

My plan is to run the unit and when service is due I will remove it for a week or 2 before hand then take it in. So far he's sold over 500 units and not one has any comeback nor has MB detected it..

The evotech unit that MB did detect was slated by rebellion for being very poor, these I think may be the ones telling consumers what they want to hear but in essence don't have a clue....

I will tread carefully don't you worry.

You should see how many VAG users have the revo stage one, and that's exactly the same as mine, wonder if VAG detect them too...
Old 19 August 2014, 09:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

RENNtech are a great company, I don't think you'll have any problems.

I think the trouble posting this sort of thing on this forum is there are a few knowledgeable posters like John Banks, but most are too ready to spout and rarely ready to listen. They probably think RENTech are the Mercedes equivalent of Pennine Subaru or the likes
Old 19 August 2014, 09:49 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Ted ignore the numpties. It's your car and what you choose to do with it has nothing to do with them. Their comments are likely based on no personal experiences whatsoever. What these people don't understand is that AMG engines are in a different league compared to the likes of Subaru and so they should be as they cost an arm and a leg.

I know of at least 5 6.3s running 700 - 850bhp with no ill effects, countless 55Ks running well over stock again with no problems and your engine should be no different to these. Also Renntech aren't some backstreet outfit, their products cost a lot because there is acres of development put into them.

That said ultimately what John Banks says is right.... in the extremely unlikely event something does go wrong you will have to be prepared to possibly cough up, but I am sure you realise that without anyone telling you.

I know if they went looking they would find evidence of it,

Additionally Renntech are well respected by Mercedes so I highly doubt you will have any issues as they wouldn't want to break that relationship by producing a poor tune.

Enjoy!
were you really born that dumb? you have slammed us all then written pretty much what we wrote... lmao all because you have been to a few Merc meets haha

and what are you talking about we never said Renntech are a bad company, nor did we ever say they make poor tunes, the point is warranty

i think what ALL our points are if the engine goes bang for whatever reason (what?!?! an AMG engine could fail ) and they detect that mod, im 100% sure that *coughing* up price is going to be alot more than it would be to replace that subaru engine you hate so much!

But hey you Merc guys are rich guys so no biggie

you should Stage 2 it
Old 19 August 2014, 10:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

were you really born that dumb? you have slammed us all then written pretty much what we wrote... lmao all because you have been to a few Merc meets haha
No, I wasn't the one suggesting RENNtech were basically telling Ted what he wanted to hear. that would be you ... again spouting something you know nothing about. As for your 'all because you have been to a few Merc meets' comment please don't judge me by your level of knowledge on any subject

and what are you talking about we never said Renntech are a bad company, nor did we ever say they make poor tunes, the point is warranty
But you did infer they were lying to Ted, I guess that doens't make them bad though. You have no idea who they are so why not just keep it shut for once!

i think what ALL our points are if the engine goes bang for whatever reason (what?!?! an AMG engine could fail ) and they detect that mod, im 100% sure that *coughing* up price is going to be alot more than it would be to replace that subaru engine you hate so much!
All of which I am sure Ted realises without some complete numpty with no knowledge of the subject matter feeling the need to tell him

you should Stage 2 it
And you should grow up!
Old 19 August 2014, 10:04 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Ted what he wanted to hear.

they were lying to Ted,

All of which I am sure Ted

guessing you used to watch superted in the younger days
Old 20 August 2014, 12:54 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

you should Stage 2 it
I agree, people were just showing some concerns, whether they know what thay were talking about or not, still valid points.

I have no clue what AMG failure rates are but they will have them, secondly AMG and M sport and the likes are the experts and you pay a premium for just that, why mess with multiple millions of € £ ¥ ₩ etc in development.

Under warranty and finance to boot, it's not even run in yet.

Good luck though as I've said before, you clearly have done your homework and given it some thought.
Old 20 August 2014, 02:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
Isecondly AMG and M sport and the likes are the experts and you pay a premium for just that, why mess with multiple millions of € £ ¥ ₩ etc in development.
This place gets better every day!

For the same reason you lot all f**k about with STis after Subaru Tecnica International have spent all that time and money developing the cars.

Plus as I have said before RENNtech aren't a backstreet outfit, they are a uber professional outfit with close ties to Mercedes.
Old 20 August 2014, 08:12 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Well good luck littleted, its your car, and your decision.
I still think its quick enough in standard trim though, a friend of mine bought one a couple of months ago. I had a passenger run in it just over a week ago.

As for AMG's, well they do fail, and anyone that says otherwise is deluded.
Old 20 August 2014, 09:12 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

F1, I would call you a complete tool but that is an insult to a tool.

These lot were not saying do not do it or that the map will cause the earth to explode. They were simply stating that the map will always leave a trace so to be careful and do not go into it thinking it is completely undetectable.
Old 20 August 2014, 09:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
F1, I would call you a complete tool but that is an insult to a tool.

These lot were not saying do not do it or that the map will cause the earth to explode. They were simply stating that the map will always leave a trace so to be careful and do not go into it thinking it is completely undetectable.
Try reading the thread before gobbing off in future
Old 20 August 2014, 09:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
As for AMG's, well they do fail, and anyone that says otherwise is deluded.
Find me one example of an AMG engine that has failed due to a remap from RENNtech, Brabus or any of the properly respected Mercedes tuning houses.
Old 20 August 2014, 09:22 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Try reading the thread before gobbing off in future
I did, from top to bottom.
Old 20 August 2014, 09:28 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Find me one example of an AMG engine that has failed due to a remap from RENNtech, Brabus or any of the properly respected Mercedes tuning houses.
I never said due to any of those tuning companies.

I was referring to standard AMG trim.
Many posts on the MB forums about it, 6.2 engine mainly.

Quick Reply: Remap Ordered