Currently own a P1 but I'm gonna be test driving an EVO VIII very soon

Will let you know then, other than that I really like the looks of the EVO VI
Old 19 April 2003, 08:49 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

That's OK

I like & respect EVO's, most of the time they can take me with ease on track (UK PPP - 250bhp), but given a bit of rain, then its driver nads & like as not...

Out of my price/allowance[wife] range atm. Not tempted really tbh as if funds permitted, then it'd be scoob & dedicated track toy

Old 19 April 2003, 08:54 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I like & respect EVO's, most of the time they can take me with ease on track (UK PPP - 250bhp),
Thats easyier said than done!

[Edited by cryptwalk - 4/19/2003 8:55:16 PM]
Old 19 April 2003, 09:10 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i luv evo's the most
Old 19 April 2003, 09:55 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ever since a brief outing with cryptwalk, reckon theyre pretty darn good!

all these people who slag them off, i just reckon theyre jealous.............
Old 19 April 2003, 10:27 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I really like them (EVO 5) and if i had the money i would probably get one..!! If they sounded like a scoob then there would be no contest id be saving up already..!!

Dan
Old 19 April 2003, 11:39 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ever since a brief outing with cryptwalk, reckon theyre pretty darn good!
Yup, that was fun.
Old 19 April 2003, 11:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

DodgeT

Was that you as a pass @ Dono?

I'd forgotten about that until Cryptwalk reminded me

Old 20 April 2003, 12:12 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Evo 4/5/6 are gorgeous but I've been very dissapointed with the looks of the 7 & 8, nowhere near lairey enough
Matter of taste I suppose but I think the 7 & 8 are too subtle for my liking, would own a 6 with no hesitation especially looking at the prices at the mo.

Jay
Old 20 April 2003, 03:04 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Nobber who wants some re-assurance?

Evo is the next step on from the scoob, but why do so many people need to hear it?!

MB
Old 20 April 2003, 09:54 AM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

PTMW, no t'was not me at dono, i was referring to a scooby north staffs meet last year.

why, what happened at dono???
Old 20 April 2003, 11:08 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

On track for a twenty min sesh with Cryptwalk.

Couldn't catch me

And he admits to trying

Old 20 April 2003, 11:11 AM
stubee doo
Scooby Regular

after owning a evo 5 i wasnt impressed straight line speed awesome but cornering was utter crap and i am glad i went back to a scooby cant complain on the handling side now
Old 20 April 2003, 01:00 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

On track for a twenty min sesh with Cryptwalk.

Couldn't catch me

And he admits to trying
PTMW, that was me and Docjock in my car (he was giving me some pointers, he did mention that I may catch you but I wouldnt pass you!). I managed to pass most apart from you. Not bad though for a track day virgin in a standard evo at the time. I couldnt fault your driving, awesome . I'd sure like to see what you could do with an evo round donny.

after owning a evo 5 i wasnt impressed straight line speed awesome but cornering was utter crap and i am glad i went back to a scooby cant complain on the handling side now
Doesnt suit everyone I suppose, the evo has a lot of driver aids maybe this is what you couldnt fathom? I find it strange as my Evo would out corner and out accelorate my old my95WRX any day of the week. Maybe you had a duff one or maybe the car just isnt your type?

Old 20 April 2003, 03:01 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

i wasnt blown away with the acceleration, it was the cornering what did it for me, my scoob had coilovers, braces everywhere & cryptwalks evo was standard & it would of run rings around mine in the handling.
Old 20 April 2003, 06:56 PM
vicevo6
Scooby Regular

Talking

thanks fo all your comments thanks a lot
Old 21 April 2003, 12:16 AM
Pyrocam999
Scooby Regular

Just seen the Promo for "2 Fast 2 Furious" and low and behold, there before my very eyes..............a boggin EVO VIII. They really haven't done a fantastic car justice. It's got one of those awful aluminium ironing boards for a spoiler. Why oh why did they have to go mess with a more than decent car ??

Just my thoughts....
Old 21 April 2003, 02:45 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Its like anything these days dude, subtle seems to be the way forward for these design peeps.
Old 21 April 2003, 05:20 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

zzzzzzzzzzzz.......

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=198346

Think i may have seen this before!
Old 21 April 2003, 09:01 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey, what do you think this is, www.evonet.com ?
Old 21 April 2003, 09:14 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Smile

Those evo's are fappin fast!
dull sound though and imo not as enjoying to drive as scoob.
Oh yeah they cost a bloody bomb!

Are they more expensive to modify/service/maintain than a scoob?
Old 21 April 2003, 10:46 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Are they more expensive to modify/service/maintain than a scoob?
Not really, in fact you can spend £1500 and have an Evo running 350bhp, can you get that with a scoob without melting No4?

The fact is (and I'm not slagging scoobs) that you can tune an evo a lot easier than you can A scoob. You get better results for your money with an Evo, even if they dont sound like a hog.

I have had experience with both marques. I had to suffer the pain of my scoob doing a big end and getting towed back home by the AA. I spent a small fortune modding it, it always had little faults that were intermittent so near imposible to cure. My old WRX had HKS mods and Apexi Turbine, yeah it sounded great, the chatter from the Apexi wastegate was fantastic but it died a death *playing* with a standard Evo. He passed me with ease and when I let off to give up the dreaded knock was all to evidant, I pulled over and she died. I had it fixed of course but after that I just couldnt bring myself to drive it hard.

I had to sell and bow over to the dark side. I have now had the Evo for 12 months and it's never missed a beat. I have only small mods done to it atm but it still wipes the floor with my old scoob in every way.

Personally, i'd rarther have a more responsive, better handling and quicker car (IMO) than a noisier car.

[Edited by cryptwalk - 4/21/2003 11:01:23 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 11:49 PM
imprezza99uk
Scooby Regular

Ive recently gone from owning a Scoobie to an Evo 6 and the difference is unbelievable in favour of the Evo! I still love the flat 4 sound of the scoobie and one that whizzes bye with a scooby sport exhaust roaring away! I like most aggressive sports cars like the Inegrale Evo, a scoobie and an Evo but i have to admit though that im not the biggest fan of the Evo 7 and 8`s or the bug eye scoobies. Give me classic aggressive looks all day long!
Old 22 April 2003, 12:04 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Wink

Have to really consider one as my next car, in 2 minds between the evo and supra.
Old 22 April 2003, 06:46 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Not sure I agree with all that has been said on this thread....

here's my view!

When you take a Scoob and an Evo you see the following...
Scoob is made for one market and the Evo is made for another....
Subaru pitch there cars at a wider market hense they are not as extreme as the Evo's. Where as the Evo is aimed more for the pure enthusiast market hense the performance ++'s

In standard form the Evo will be the better car in terms of performance NO doubt.

However I believe that the classic scoob V5 against say the EvoVI has better groundings to start with (Cant comment on new shapes as not driven Evo 7/8). Unfortunatley you have to do a little bit more work to get the end product... The Evo's engine will handler more power, has a FMIC and a better suspension set up.

If you were willing to add a FMIC, build a stronger block and put a decent suspension setup... I think you will find the Subaru would be a better track day tool to say a similarly specc'd modded EvoVI.

In my experience driving Evo's are very good but I always got the feeling that you are sitting on the car, not in it. And also the driver aids take away the natural aspect to the drive, knowing the car's limit is difficult to gauge and sometimes un-inspiring. Where as in the Subaru I always got the feeling I was as one with the car. It always felt more balanced and as a result of that my confidence would be much higher that in the Evo...

I have driven both cars Hard round various circuits and I believe a highly modded scoob is better than a higly modded Evo.

But as standard the Evo is a much better car for an enthusiast.

So the question is do you love your Scoob enought to get it there???

my rant over.... feel free to flame!
Old 23 April 2003, 12:24 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Smile

When you take a Scoob and an Evo you see the following...
Scoob is made for one market and the Evo is made for another....
Subaru pitch there cars at a wider market hense they are not as extreme as the Evo's. Where as the Evo is aimed more for the pure enthusiast market hense the performance ++'s
Aye, this is where CCC made a marketing mistake, with the evo it was all or nothing. Subaru did it right, how many models?? Peeps could see the all out likes of the STI and P1 models, like them but if they were out of their price range theres always the less powerfull WRX or Turbo models, with CCC there isnt...

In standard form the Evo will be the better car in terms of performance NO doubt.
True that.

However I believe that the classic scoob V5 against say the EvoVI has better groundings to start with (Cant comment on new shapes as not driven Evo 7/8). The Evo's engine will handler more power, has a FMIC and a better suspension set up.
Dont forget the brakes.

Unfortunatley you have to do a little bit more work to get the end product... If you were willing to add a FMIC, build a stronger block and put a decent suspension setup... I think you will find the Subaru would be a better track day tool to say a similarly specc'd modded EvoVI.
A little bit? Geeze, My friend has a 400+Bhp Scoob, it is one of the quickest cars I have driven when it works. This car stands him at 65k atm, granted thats not all on performance parts but still 65k Over the last year it has been in the garage for the best part of the year. Its simply like this.. He does the engine so it's bomb proof, the clutch wont handle it (he's now on his 2nd padle) He has driven the car about 1000 miles in the last year if that. Then the box wont handle it (he is on his 4th box, now having a dog box built for it), 15 mins into remap last week it blew the diff out at 1.8bar! It simply finds the weekest link every time. One day he'l have the car for a week without something going wrong. If you were to go for similer spec'd Evo, you wouldnt have to replace the box or diff. Thus saving yer pennys. I could easily get the Evo to that spec for a hell of alot less money.

In my experience driving Evo's are very good but I always got the feeling that you are sitting on the car, not in it. And also the driver aids take away the natural aspect to the drive, knowing the car's limit is difficult to gauge and sometimes un-inspiring. Where as in the Subaru I always got the feeling I was as one with the car. It always felt more balanced and as a result of that my confidence would be much higher that in the Evo...
As I said each to their own, personally I'm a lazy bistard and like the driver aids.

I have driven both cars Hard round various circuits and I believe a highly modded scoob is better than a higly modded Evo.
Maybe you need to drive an Rs model, non of the pansey driver aids.

my rant over.... feel free to flame!
No need to flame, i'm sure for once their can be a rational discussion without the need for all that crap. If everyone agreed the world would be a boring place.
Old 23 April 2003, 07:12 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Its interesting to see that to be an enthusiast you have to forego things.

IMHO you can be a true enthusiast and the Scooby would still be the best car. An enthusiast doesnt always like to mod their cars and prefers to keep their warranty.

Youve got 27k burning a hole in your pocket, and want a new car. EVO VIII or STI8 PPP. I'm certainly in this position and am looking at both cars. At the moment the Scooby is on top. I'm trying to convince myself the EVO should be the car to go for, but it damn hard work.

WHY

300bhp as std vs 276 - most reviews Ive seen say that the STI feels gruntier.

Interior - the red dials belong in an old Metro. A worse piece of car design I cant imagine.

Stereo - at least the Scooby has one. Sir needs to pay extra on the EVO

Security - Trackstar as std on the STI 8. You'll need another £400 for the EVO - and the insurance company in 90% of the cases will demand it.

Sevicing - An enthusiast likes to drive where he wants, not to the garage every 4500 miles or 6 months. My dealer who is a Scooby and Mitsubishi dealer in one says the EVO always seem to be in for little niggles.

The only reason I can find for wanting an EVO is that Ive never had one , and yes I have driven them - OK it was a 6.

For that incy wincy bit better handling on track - a rare occurance for me - why should I look at an EVO ?

Jonathan
Old 23 April 2003, 08:24 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

You shouldn't mate.... from reading that post you have talked yourself into an STI-8 lol !

Cryptwalk...

I feel sorry for your mate with the Scoob... I was running decent power without any issues and I know a few people that still are.

I suppose it happens to everyone... even Mr Norris! 2 diffs @ Elvington!

Btw good to see a reasonable response to my post!! you are right some mature responses are what makes this board decent and the world interesting, but you do get lots of imature ones too!!

[Edited by Plantie - 4/23/2003 8:28:09 AM]
Old 23 April 2003, 11:16 AM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Sevicing - An enthusiast likes to drive where he wants, not to the garage every 4500 miles or 6 months. My dealer who is a Scooby and Mitsubishi dealer in one says the EVO always seem to be in for little niggles.

The only reason I can find for wanting an EVO is that Ive never had one , and yes I have driven them - OK it was a 6.

For that incy wincy bit better handling on track - a rare occurance for me - why should I look at an EVO ?

Jonathan
Johnathan, I heard that they had sorted the diff service (4500 mile) issue on the Evo 8 and now it was a more respectable interval?I find it strange that your dealer always has the evos in for niggles, I can honestly say mine hassent missed a beat in 12 months and it's a T plate. I did brake it myself though! Spun on a roundabout getting a little bit cocky. So driver aids dont make it unbreakable.

Of course it's not all about Modding your car, alot of us do though and for me the Evo is a great base to start for the money I have available (which sadly after putting in fuel isnt much!). When I compaire the 2 cars I suppose i'm influenced by how bad my scooby was compaired to the Evo but then thats A 95WRX Vs 99Evo.

I think you have already made your mind up, go for the Scooby, I like the new ones it's just I think they have gone ott on the bonnet vent on the STI. (why dont subaru make a front mount for it? )

Cryptwalk...

I feel sorry for your mate with the Scoob... I was running decent power without any issues and I know a few people that still are.
I think it's a torque issue with the car, last reading was over 400Lb! It's silly quick.

I suppose it happens to everyone... even Mr Norris! 2 diffs @ Elvington!

Btw good to see a reasonable response to my post!! you are right some mature responses are what makes this board decent and the world interesting, but you do get lots of imature ones too!!
Yup Mr norris, that was 585Bhp though! Trouble is when you start to get silly with power, no matter what the car it always finds the weak link. I wonder how he's sorted this on the 7?

It's just a shame that this Bbs sometimes brings out the idiots, mutual respect is whats needed. Hell I still like scoobs and could well see myself owning one again but atm I'm happy with the Evo.

Quick Reply: what do you think of evo`s them scoooby boyz