Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Is a Clio Willy better than a one-nine 205 GTi?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2004, 08:48 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Clio ***** better than a one-nine 205 GTi?

Couldn't help noticing that the boys in Evo magazine are waxing lyrical this month about the Clio Williams.

For those that haven't read the rag, they assembled 10 previous COTY winners, and attempted to find the best drivers car amongst them. The Williams claimed some notable scalps, being rated higher the new M3 (understandable), Elise 135, 993 Turbo and (snigger) P1.

Now I have never driven a Williams, so can't comment. But I have a 205GTi 1.9 sat unused and gathering dust in the garage, and I just cannot under ANY circumstances be parted with it. Time and time again I have told myself that I should sell it, that I don't need it. But every time I bottle out. I can truthfully say that nothing I have owned or driven since has come anywhere near in terms of driver enjoyment. And I don't mean for the price: I have spent fortunes on cars trying to better it since then, used and new. Pretty much all of them have been a disappointment.

Can a Clio Williams REALLY be better than a one-nine?

Comments please.
Old 18 March 2004, 08:50 PM
IPKIS
Scooby Regular

yes my mate has one and he swears by it he owns an sti scoob but still loves his williams2
i have a 205gti 1.9 too its just sitting around till i get out to the garage and rebuild the rear torsion bar and do a little welding has an interesting plate though D205PET maybe i should part with it
Old 19 March 2004, 07:35 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I agree Olly : the 205 1.9 is simply the best car ever made. And I say that in all seriousness. I had 2 in a row in the 90's and have never found any thing approaching the fun and completeness of the package. You could slide and throw that car at will in every type of corner. Even the legendary integrales I had were less good, too capable and therefore dull.

~i bought a clio cup recently and althougth it is good, it does'nt serve up the exquisite handling fun at sensible speeds like the 205 does, nor does it have that je ne sais quoi charisma of the 205.

DO NOT SELL.
Old 19 March 2004, 08:27 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Zoog having owned a 205 1.9 about ten years ago I was of the same opinion. Until I test drove a 1.9 recently and wished I hadn't. It was a pile of crap that made me question my memory. I suppose if you can still find a really good one...
Old 19 March 2004, 09:44 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Olly, never driven a Williams but have always liked them. In fact I may look at getting one....BUT...if you want similar performance, and want to keep your Pug then you have only one option - Mi16.

I am simply loving this thing the more I drive it - imagine the normal handling and fun of the 205, then add massive performance higher in the rev range - superb.

So, get yourself an Mi engine and drop it in.
Old 19 March 2004, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

This is a silly thread.

Everyone KNOWS that the Racing Puma was better than both, better than ANY Scoob, Evo etc etc,..........according to Auto Express anyway:

Are AE sponsored by Ford, by any chance, 'cos I've NEVER seen 'em even slightly fault any Ford?

Alcazar
Old 19 March 2004, 10:09 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
This is a silly thread.

Everyone KNOWS that the Racing Puma was better than both, better than ANY Scoob, Evo etc etc,..........according to Auto Express anyway:

Are AE sponsored by Ford, by any chance, 'cos I've NEVER seen 'em even slightly fault any Ford?

Alcazar
Maybe (like Clarkson) the Editor wants a GT40?

Blobster
Old 19 March 2004, 12:31 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboBoost
Zoog having owned a 205 1.9 about ten years ago I was of the same opinion. Until I test drove a 1.9 recently and wished I hadn't. It was a pile of crap that made me question my memory. I suppose if you can still find a really good one...
Then you drove an exceptionally crap car. It is without doubt the most chuckable fun car I have ever driven.
I had a 1.9 when I was 20 that was taken early courtesy of a muppet. I've always loved them and last year (then 27) managed to buy another. H reg sorrento green 1.9 pretty much standard, only magnex BB and K&N (ok and a quickshift so I don't have to row to change gear!!) 70k miles and the car is as good as they always were. Superb, everytime I open the garage I smile and everytime I come back from a drive there is a stupid grin on my face. Nothing I've driven involves or amuses more.

As for the Williams, its a cracking car, though I've never driven one I would like to just to compare. However, EVO don't rate it above the 205, they quite frequently refer to them side by side as equals.
Old 19 March 2004, 03:26 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

The 106 Rallye is a far more rewarding car to drive IMO....
Old 19 March 2004, 04:59 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

If you're a midget
Old 19 March 2004, 05:41 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I know a bloke 19st and 6ft 5 who drives one
Old 19 March 2004, 06:13 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

205gti's are great cars, I loved mine. There is a slight tendancy to overdo just how good they are though. The handling is entertaining, but not brilliant and I can well believe that the Clio is better.
Old 19 March 2004, 07:07 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

The two O five One Nine is the best French tin can you can buy for under two grand. I bought one from a mate in nineteen ninety nine and had loads of fun in it. The only problem was that my lardy ar$e used to crush the wings at the side of the seats (bolster cushions). The seats were flat when I sold the car for eighteen hundred quid. It was as rusty as hell around the arches but boy did it fly. It would eat anything that came within a car length. Bit snappy with power lift off though when doing eighty round a tight bend.
Old 19 March 2004, 07:27 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Olly, isn't it about time you stopped talking about it, f**ked the pimpmobile off & got the 205 back on the road.

Or sell it to me You KNOW you want too

PS, I saw a ***** 3 the other day & IMO the pug has stood the test of time appearance-wise far better
Old 19 March 2004, 07:32 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Just read blobsters post & feel I must agree with SJ. I missed the boat the first time round as I was totally into Golfs (still the best all rounder IMO), my first drive of a pug was in Olly's a couple of years ago & I was totally blown away by the handling & the massive urge of the thing. But I can't say I was overwhelmed by it's manners around town, and the general feeling that it was going to come apart in my hands
Old 19 March 2004, 10:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

crispy, you need a go in my Mi16 converted one. Even quicker, and none of the round town problems, as the engine is much smoother.
Old 20 March 2004, 11:23 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

That sounds like a plan DW The trouble is, I bet the new motor doesn't do anything to dispell the feeling that it is built from tin foil & drinking straws
Old 21 March 2004, 01:36 PM
166 ajw
Scooby Newbie

Had a clio ***** years ago, now have a 993 turbo.The ***** was the most fun car I have ever had,annoyed I sold it.
Old 21 March 2004, 02:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

That sounds like a plan DW The trouble is, I bet the new motor doesn't do anything to dispell the feeling that it is built from tin foil & drinking straws
The Grp N mounts take care of that - rattles even more then normal, but always feels failry strong TBH.

I like that feel - rally slag stylee

After all my preaching about reliability the thing bloody broke down yesterday in Manc centre Turned out to be a knackered battery - no warnings or nothing, just wouldnt start. The bat is 5 yrs old though.

Anyone recomm a good battery make/type? Halfrauds want £58!!
Old 21 March 2004, 09:07 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Or sell it to me You KNOW you want too
Rather shove wasps up my **** mate.

DW: always liked Varta batteries. Not cheap mind.

Good news then, looks like the 205 is equally regarded, which saves me a few grand .
Old 21 March 2004, 09:12 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I had a dabble with a couple of new Renaults back when the Clio came out, the thing no one has mentioned yet is the fact that Reno screwed everyone over as the Clio Williams was supposed to be a limited one off run of brass plated idividually numbered cars to celebrate the F1 success with suspension tweeks and 150BHP among other things, they then got greedy when the press and public raved about them and took out the Williams 2 and 3! causing a huge row with buyers of the original owners with talk of court cases and such. The original cars with the numbered plates would be the ones to get as they are probably quite rare now. I dont know if the 2 and 3 had the same set up as the original cars but I reckon the original one would have been the one the magazine favoured,
Gary.
Old 21 March 2004, 09:44 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

***** 1 had numbered plaque.

***** 2 had no plaque.

***** three had mod cons, sunroof etc and no plaque.

The suspension/engine is same on all three (the suspension is the same as in the 19 valver coincidentally).

Never driven one myself so cannot comment, but hear that compared to the 1.8 valver the engine obviously has more low down grunt but doesn't like the revs as much.

Wouldn't mind trying one out though.
Old 23 March 2004, 09:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I wonder if anybody has contemplated a Clio cup engine transplant into a ***** or a 16V, that sure as hell must add up to one damned quick motor. It may even be able to keep up with a scoob in the twisties

PS, DW I'll agree with Olly on the Varta. Well worth the expense if the car is a long term ownership prospect. My old Sierra has had it's for five years now & it used to chew Bosch ones up on a yearly basis
Old 23 March 2004, 09:35 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Guys, got a Unipart in the endfor £39