Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf MkIV V6 4motion, any good?

as above please...
Old 13 February 2006, 10:51 AM
Spankathon
Scooby Regular

Performace wise, not really (especially considering their fuel consumption) but build and re-sale is pretty good.
Old 13 February 2006, 11:04 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

My dads got one. Peformance isnt that bad, 0-60 mid 6's. Theres a definate delay in throttle response (aparantley due to fly by wire) which spoils it though. Very smooth and effortless to drive. A remap gets rid of the delay of power and takes power from 204 to 220bhp. Too quiet for a 2.8 V6 though!
Old 13 February 2006, 11:40 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

thanks guys
Old 13 February 2006, 12:00 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

My dads got one. Peformance isnt that bad, 0-60 mid 6's. Theres a definate delay in throttle response (aparantley due to fly by wire) which spoils it though. Very smooth and effortless to drive. A remap gets rid of the delay of power and takes power from 204 to 220bhp. Too quiet for a 2.8 V6 though!
I think VW say 0-60mph 7.2 secs. I had a test drive in one when I was getting rid of my classic (ppp) Ohhhhh!!!! it felt so slow in comparison.
dave
Old 13 February 2006, 12:03 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Yeah, VW take in to account half tank, half load and passenger. Mid 6 is supposedly the realistic single driver time.
Old 13 February 2006, 12:13 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

I had a V6 4motion for 3 1/2 years ......

Nice car, practical but not quite quick enough for me. Not slow, just not quick if you know what I mean ! I had mine remapped by AmD who were great. The car on their rollers had 202 as std and they managed to get that to 221bhp with torque well over standard. It gave it more bite but still wasn't enough (I had come from an S14 Nissan 200sx!)

Sloppy soggy roll/handling made me get rid of it. Shame as the engine is very smooth and refined. The clutch /gear action means that unless you are very smooth at changing gear it is very jerky in first to second changes.

The only problem I had with the car in the time I owned it was the fan unit which was sorted twice under warranty but would have cost £700 !!!!

Oh, and I managed an average of about 22mpg - which is slightly less than I get with the Scooby.....
Old 13 February 2006, 01:43 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John57
I had a V6 4motion for 3 1/2 years ......

Nice car, practical but not quite quick enough for me. Not slow, just not quick if you know what I mean ! I had mine remapped by AmD who were great. The car on their rollers had 202 as std and they managed to get that to 221bhp with torque well over standard. It gave it more bite but still wasn't enough (I had come from an S14 Nissan 200sx!)

Sloppy soggy roll/handling made me get rid of it. Shame as the engine is very smooth and refined. The clutch /gear action means that unless you are very smooth at changing gear it is very jerky in first to second changes.

The only problem I had with the car in the time I owned it was the fan unit which was sorted twice under warranty but would have cost £700 !!!!

Oh, and I managed an average of about 22mpg - which is slightly less than I get with the Scooby.....
thanks very much, not getting rid of my Scoob for one, it is actually for my mother, her criteria was, about the size of a Golf, no bigger, with some grunt and 4wd and about £10k, cannot think of anything else that fits the bill. They seem competent fast/cruisy cars, which is exactly what she wants, comfortable, safe and good on motorways...
Old 13 February 2006, 02:33 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

I'd echo John57s sentiments apart from the fact I only had mine for six months and didn't get a remap.

Mine was reliable apart from a niggling fault that it went in a numerous amount of times for, the ECU light kept coming on (might've been ABS, can't remember offhand) and wouldn't go out again. Didn't actually make any difference to the drive of the car but was annoying. Mine was an 01 Y reg as was my bosses car, both had the problem.

The only major negative point would be the brakes, they're bl00dy awful! Shouldn't be a problem if you drive 'normally' though.

I felt the car would've been great as a quick but normal Golf, but I wanted something a little rawer. I'd think it'd make a cracking car for your mum.
Old 13 February 2006, 05:52 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by datsunman
I'd echo John57s sentiments apart from the fact I only had mine for six months and didn't get a remap.

Mine was reliable apart from a niggling fault that it went in a numerous amount of times for, the ECU light kept coming on (might've been ABS, can't remember offhand) and wouldn't go out again. Didn't actually make any difference to the drive of the car but was annoying. Mine was an 01 Y reg as was my bosses car, both had the problem.

The only major negative point would be the brakes, they're bl00dy awful! Shouldn't be a problem if you drive 'normally' though.

I felt the car would've been great as a quick but normal Golf, but I wanted something a little rawer. I'd think it'd make a cracking car for your mum.
thanks, I think it is a good choice although a friend has just put the cat amongst the pigeons and said why doesn't she get an Audi A3 1.8T quattro, better built car has 180bhp so not much slower and the residuals are better. Any experience of this car?
Old 13 February 2006, 06:44 PM
Big scoob
Scooby Regular

i have worked on both cars both nice cars but if i was to pick out of the 2 cars i would take the audi loads better build wise. The 1.8T engine is a very reliable engine and 200horses is easy if she want's it. I'm not sure what the S3's are going for these day's 215-220 standard this one would be the better option if there within her price range. But either of them had any problems and as for the V6 4 motion nice engine but thats as far as i would go sound like it's got loads a grunt but just lacks that get up and go.
Old 14 February 2006, 09:22 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big scoob
i have worked on both cars both nice cars but if i was to pick out of the 2 cars i would take the audi loads better build wise. The 1.8T engine is a very reliable engine and 200horses is easy if she want's it. I'm not sure what the S3's are going for these day's 215-220 standard this one would be the better option if there within her price range. But either of them had any problems and as for the V6 4 motion nice engine but thats as far as i would go sound like it's got loads a grunt but just lacks that get up and go.
interesting, she is now moving towards the Audi, the S3 is within her price range but afaik only came with 3 doors, otherwise I think that would be her choice...have to stick with the 1.8t quattro...

thanks for the info.
Old 14 February 2006, 02:33 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chippy17
thanks, I think it is a good choice although a friend has just put the cat amongst the pigeons and said why doesn't she get an Audi A3 1.8T quattro, better built car has 180bhp so not much slower and the residuals are better. Any experience of this car?
Yep, good car with similar attributes to the Golf. Not quite as soft as the Golf but like most VAG platforms fairly similar in the drive they give. The spread of power is obviously slightly different, bit less lower down and a little more on top when compared with the V6. I'd imagine that fuel consumption may be slightly better in the 1.8T.

Not sure what you'll get for your budget... I'd have thought (haven't looked myself though) that the residuals on the Golf were worse than the A3. Certainly worth having a look round though.
Old 14 February 2006, 02:35 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

interesting, she is now moving towards the Audi, the S3 is within her price range but afaik only came with 3 doors, otherwise I think that would be her choice...have to stick with the 1.8t quattro...

thanks for the info.
Yep, only three doors.

I think you'd be looking at quite tired examples for the money though, less likely to find a trashed 1.8TQ.

I had a 210 and a 225 S3, for a motorway cruiser I think a 1.8T Q would be a better bet.
Old 14 February 2006, 02:51 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Yep, only three doors.

I think you'd be looking at quite tired examples for the money though, less likely to find a trashed 1.8TQ.

I had a 210 and a 225 S3, for a motorway cruiser I think a 1.8T Q would be a better bet.
thanks, just had a quick nose round the 'trader! Found a 2001 Y plate 5dr with 32k miles, good spec except no leather for £10k, I do not think that is bad. 4motions of that age are going for similar money
Old 14 February 2006, 08:39 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

thanks, just had a quick nose round the 'trader! Found a 2001 Y plate 5dr with 32k miles, good spec except no leather for £10k, I do not think that is bad. 4motions of that age are going for similar money
Sorry, meant the S3's would be tired, not the 1.8TQ's, must say I'm tempted by one myself now, forgot all about them!
Old 14 February 2006, 10:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Reading down the post, I was about to suggest the A3, but your friend obviously beat me to it. Got to admit that whilst the Golf had its strong points, I wasn't a great fan, not half as good as I'd hoped. The Corrado VR6 was allegedly much nicer, though . . .

The S3 (210bhp version I drove) was very nice, solid and capable but lacking a little in excitement compared to some things. Would probably suit your mum fine, possibly apart from the pretty short gears in the 6 speed box meaning you have to change more often - great if you're caning along, not the sort of things mothers always enjoy!

There have been odd other 4wd saloons etc about - I have vague recollections of Alfa doing one, for example - but nothing I'd recommend over the A3 for this instance.
Old 15 February 2006, 10:33 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Reading down the post, I was about to suggest the A3, but your friend obviously beat me to it. Got to admit that whilst the Golf had its strong points, I wasn't a great fan, not half as good as I'd hoped. The Corrado VR6 was allegedly much nicer, though . . .

The S3 (210bhp version I drove) was very nice, solid and capable but lacking a little in excitement compared to some things. Would probably suit your mum fine, possibly apart from the pretty short gears in the 6 speed box meaning you have to change more often - great if you're caning along, not the sort of things mothers always enjoy!

There have been odd other 4wd saloons etc about - I have vague recollections of Alfa doing one, for example - but nothing I'd recommend over the A3 for this instance.
if the S3 came with 5drs I think she would be very tempted as she does like cars with some grunt but even if it did I would probably swing her towards the 1.8TQ as IMO it will be a better all round car for her, I think they are a bit dull but as an ownership proposition it must be the best option...the 4motion is lovely with fantastic spec but it is more complicated and I would imagine more expensive to service and maintain, anyway she has become a bit of a badge snob recently and would rather have the Audi rings!
Old 15 February 2006, 10:35 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Sorry, meant the S3's would be tired, not the 1.8TQ's, must say I'm tempted by one myself now, forgot all about them!
no worries, I agree I have been tempted by this thought process, I thought the Audi had 150bhp like the Golfs so was not interested, when I heard it had a healthy 180bhp, well it changed my thinking...
Old 30 November 2013, 06:49 PM
Bob Williams
Scooby Newbie

Default New to 4motions

Hi all. Bought my 2 door Y plate 4 motion end of August. Awesome motor. Have stuck new tyres all round (Dunlop) and Black Diamond combination discs all round, Predator pads. Brilliant. Used before. Just suspension to upgrade next. Great fun, if little thirsty. Average 23 - 30mpg. Don't care as don't drink or smoke. :-)
Old 30 November 2013, 07:27 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The R32 is MUCH better! The only good mk4 Golf.
Old 30 November 2013, 10:01 PM
Mud dog
Scooby Regular

Mate this thread is from 2006 that's mad, agree that the r32 is better
Old 30 November 2013, 10:48 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Holy thread resurrection Banana Man.

Are there any Mk4 R32's about which aren't dodgy as hell?
Old 30 November 2013, 11:24 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Holy thread resurrection Banana Man.

Are there any Mk4 R32's about which aren't dodgy as hell?
Yeah there is one I see parked outside a solicitor's here in Preston that is sweet as.

But most of the ones I have seen in the last five years have been driven by young Asian men, sporting oversized alloys and overly lowered.

The MkV cars are starting to find their way into the wrong hands too.
Old 01 December 2013, 12:17 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

if your young and drive an r32 or an s3 the chances are that you are a shotter in my opinion

i dropped a 57 r32 this morning, these fools who think your in a wrx when you are not makes me lol everytime

Old 01 December 2013, 01:04 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They're nice cars, not particularly quick but certainly no slouch.

A lot of the people that drive R32s and S3s though think they're in the fastest cars on the road.

Even a base spec STi would rip one.

By the way, had to look up "shotter" learned a new word there!
Old 01 December 2013, 02:09 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The VR32 is a nice lump to have in a hatch.

You have all that torque low down and a beautiful note.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 01 December 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01 December 2013, 10:34 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

A mate ran a v6 4 motion for a while, sounded glorious but not particularly quick, tiny boot, and shockingly bad on fuel 24 mpg best on a run 17-19 around town. A WRX would walk all over it.
Old 01 December 2013, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

MY R32 is better on fuel (21mpg in town, 30-35mpg on a run). Odd.

Boot is OK imo. Sure its no Ford Focus in terms of surface area (its a shorter car) but it has a fair bit of height between the parcel shelf and floor. Is surprising what can be stacked and squeezed in there - so long as you don't mind the groceries being squashed by the crate of lager Useless for pushchairs though. Which is why I don't have kids
Old 01 December 2013, 12:08 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i get 30mpg out of my daily driver 20v turbo (mapped and decatted)

Quick Reply: Golf MkIV V6 4motion, any good?