Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Going to buy a Mk1 Golf Gti

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 09:47 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to buy a Mk1 Golf Gti

Hi all, for years ive always wanted to buy a classic and restore/modify it but for many reasons ive never done it mainly as ive always needed the car for work and not had my own home etc...

Now im 30 yrs old with a scooby, mortgage and daily runaround im ready to get my hands dirty, the car is in good nick body wise but is tatty and needs some tlc. Going to put in a g60 engine after previously owning a corrado and wanting to do something for myself....

Anybody got a haynes manual handy?? lol
Old 05 June 2008, 09:52 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

my mate has just built one, its taken him 15 months of hard work, but I must say it looks amazing now! might know someone who has a haynes manual if your being serious?
Old 05 June 2008, 10:12 PM
willsh
Scooby Regular

been in a few mk1's with the g60 engine in go like stink with the chip and pulley changed i had a g60 corrado and have said to myself i'll buy another one some day mabye the vr6 and put a supercharger on it

my bothers got a mk1 with a honda v-tec engine in it that fly's
Old 06 June 2008, 12:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you get a decent shell, despite the image they do rust.

G60, nah, 1.8T is the engine of choice these days, more reliable, easier to tune and more about.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:39 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have had the 1.6 and the 1.8 normal engined ones, and they were amazing cars, loved them to bits, I also had the cabriolet version which was slower but still great to drive.

Oh the memories.
Old 06 June 2008, 08:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Fantastic motors, I've had two of these babies, and wouldn;t mind another
Don't buy anything earlier than 'X' plate, that's when they started galvanising the bodyshells, and fitting the 5 speed 'box.
The 1.6 had a very free revving engine but was somewhat lacking in torque, the 1.8 had more torque than the chassis could ideally handle but was less eager to rev. On a good road there was little to choose between them IMO, just like Mk2s have 8v & 16v champions, so it is with these.
The brakes were shocking when compared to it's contemporaries, copmared to modern cars they are downright terrifying
Most by now will probably have upper and lower front strut braces, these don't half make a difference both to the handling and the braking. Check the front suspension turrets and the tops of the B pillars very carefully for stress fractures, check especially the inner wings, sills, rear arches and rear valance for corrosion.
All except the 1.8 campaign models came with 13" rims, stepping up to 14" rims improves the handling no end (tyres are cheaper too) going above that just destroys the ride, although to be fair, they do look damned good on the right set of 15s
Old 06 June 2008, 08:47 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, Lhasa Green is supposedly the colour to buy, but I've always preferred them in Silver personally
Old 06 June 2008, 08:57 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Had a few Golfs myself in the past!

Favourite has to be my mate's old one!

2.9 VR6

Old 07 June 2008, 10:15 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Nice Avi

I bet it's a bit nose-heavy in the corners though
Old 07 June 2008, 11:04 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That is a nice bit of machinery
Old 07 June 2008, 02:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I bet a Mk1 would be great with a remapped PD diesel in it.

Must be loads about from crashed vw's and as they dont break they wont be that sought after. Imagine a tonnes worth of Mk1 with 300 lbs/ft
Old 08 June 2008, 11:47 AM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Just picked him up, amazing after a year and a half it started.... Got a new bonnet and 2 wings thrown in rest of the car is pretty solid, just needs total respray and the optional engine upgrade.

Need to upgrade the breaks for starters - rear drums WTF! lol
Old 08 June 2008, 05:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Smart, I love MK1 GTI's. I had one many moons ago.. my 2nd car when I was 18.
Old 08 June 2008, 07:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mozzaITA
Just picked him up, amazing after a year and a half it started.... Got a new bonnet and 2 wings thrown in rest of the car is pretty solid, just needs total respray and the optional engine upgrade.

Dont forget the bell crank linkage that actuates the servo, thats where a lot of problems creep in, bloody awful arrangement, can be adjusted and it improves matters though total upgrades are where its at on mk1's, the brakes were marginal when new.
Old 08 June 2008, 09:21 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Dont forget the bell crank linkage that actuates the servo, thats where a lot of problems creep in, bloody awful arrangement, can be adjusted and it improves matters though total upgrades are where its at on mk1's, the brakes were marginal when new.
The brakes themselves work fine. It's the linkage to the servo on the other side of the bulkhead that gives them poor pedal feel. Agree that judging them against todays brakes their overall performance is poor. Other thing to check is where the clutch cable comes through the bulkhead. A badly adjusted clutch will cause the bulkhead to flex and bend. Oh and if the gearbox is reluctant to go into gear there is a cheap fix (an old 10p ) which makes it feel like new. I had 2 Mk1s, a Guards red 1.6 GTI and a Helios Blue Metallic Campaign. Still dream about the Campaign now..finding it in the garage after I'd forgotten about it...
Old 08 June 2008, 09:57 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mozzaITA

Well done on your purchase

Nothin wrong with drum rears - 90% of stopping is done by the fronts so sort them instead - unless of course you cant stand the look of them
Old 08 June 2008, 10:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
The brakes themselves work fine. It's the linkage to the servo on the other side of the bulkhead that gives them poor pedal feel. Agree that judging them against todays brakes their overall performance is poor. Other thing to check is where the clutch cable comes through the bulkhead. A badly adjusted clutch will cause the bulkhead to flex and bend. Oh and if the gearbox is reluctant to go into gear there is a cheap fix (an old 10p ) which makes it feel like new. I had 2 Mk1s, a Guards red 1.6 GTI and a Helios Blue Metallic Campaign. Still dream about the Campaign now..finding it in the garage after I'd forgotten about it...
I had two of them (plus 4 mk2s) and the brakes were rubbish on all of them, as new they were acceptable but once it got a bit older they went a lot worse. The Mk1 would run rings round a Capri 2.8 in the bends but the Capri would stop better, I sorted my gear change with a kit, a selection of 20 or so assorted bungs, grommets and bushes, was miles better after that. the brakes werent big enough for the car really, used to fade to nothing in hard use.
Old 09 June 2008, 10:37 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

A modified Bias pedal box from a Sierra Cossie was the route I took to better braking, a lot of work, but worth the effort

Don't knock the drums on the rear, they are the reason Mk1s turn nicely on the handbrake, when Mk2s, with their poxy discs, won't
Old 09 June 2008, 12:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
A modified Bias pedal box from a Sierra Cossie was the route I took to better braking, a lot of work, but worth the effort

Don't knock the drums on the rear, they are the reason Mk1s turn nicely on the handbrake, when Mk2s, with their poxy discs, won't
Yes, it will, thats true, but the handbrake cable becomes the weak link, I speak from (alarming) experience and the knowledge that a Mk1 will hit a kerb hard without sustaining any major damage apart from loosing its little goatee beard spoiler
Old 09 June 2008, 12:59 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

My Gti in the early 80's when I was in my yooof
Zender kit was all the rage back then although looks a little tacky now.

Old 09 June 2008, 05:47 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/Image036.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/Image037.jpg

Im going to keep the drums obviously refurb them - Have a whole host of problems to deal with first - just a couple of pic - if you look closly you can see my impreza in the garage (its on the drive now lol)
Old 09 June 2008, 06:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I havent seen those period Pirelli 'P' wheels for years!
Old 10 June 2008, 10:57 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Both my Mk1s and my first Mk2 had those Campaign wheels on
None of them ever had Pirelli tyres on though

There are two types of those wheels too, the original ones, as fitted to the later Campaign Mk1s, had the word Pirelli cast into the wheel, behind the centre cover. Those fitted to the early Mk2s were close copies made directly for VW, they didn't have the Pirelli branding cast into them, and the 'P's around the rim were slightly shorter, resulting in a bigger gap between them, those on that particular car are the later copies.
One earlier wheel will generally sell for about the same as a set of 4 of the later ones
Old 10 June 2008, 11:03 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

PS, good solid looking car there Mozza

A 1.8? Going off the Y plate resting on the dash in the second photo

When you take the front wings off make sure you get all the underseal off where the inner wings join the bulkhead and the A pillar, and get plenty of waxoyl on the underside of the scuttle at the windsreen corners.
Old 10 June 2008, 05:32 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Yeah 1.8 indeed,

Yeah have 1 wing to replace and going to tackle it at the weekend.

Waxoyl? Ive never done anything like this, what does it do? sorry im a learner! lol
Old 10 June 2008, 06:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Wings are dead easy, trouble is what you find under it !

Done a few, they all need a patch here and there, waxoyl protects the metal, make sure you get seam sealer and clean all the old stuff off properly otherwise it wont fit, take time to line it up well otherwise it will look ropey, paint it inside with Schultz stone protect and then get busy with the waxoyl.
Old 11 June 2008, 08:37 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by AllanP
My Gti in the early 80's when I was in my yooof
Zender kit was all the rage back then although looks a little tacky now.

I was never a big fan of the Zender kit myself, the one fitted to VW's own press fleet Mk1 ruins the car IMO

I did always want one of those little tailgate spoilers Zender did for them though, they still do look the part
Old 12 June 2008, 01:25 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I was never a big fan of the Zender kit myself, the one fitted to VW's own press fleet Mk1 ruins the car IMO

I did always want one of those little tailgate spoilers Zender did for them though, they still do look the part
Yes know what you mean, although I remember in the 80's it was very popular. This was an ex reps car, I bought it from where I worked when it was about 18 months old. The guy originally wanted a Corrado but the company wouldn't let him have one, so he bought this and spec'd it up. Webesto roof and a total raid of the Zender catalogue, even had the dodgy number plate conversion on the rear.

Was a great car
Old 12 June 2008, 01:51 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the '80s equivalent of the Lexus tail-lights

'Inspired' by Porsche's restyling of the 911's rump if I remember rightly

They were a real favourite of the XR2/XR3i brigade round our way, a shining example of turd polishing
Old 15 June 2008, 11:54 PM
scooby88
Scooby Regular

excellent cars i had a mk2 golf gti i loved it so much ive got the parts in my back garden lol i used to work for vw an have to say the mk1 an 2 were vw better built vehicles now they got shoddy fall apart cars

Quick Reply: Going to buy a Mk1 Golf Gti