Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Second hand BMW 335i - Matteeboy will know

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 10:04 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second hand BMW 335i - Matteeboy will know

I've been test driving cars all weekend and have decided the 335i M sport coupe is the one for me in white. Few questions:

When are they bringing out a new 3 series?
What are the chances of the alloys cracking? Can you tell by looking at them? Does this happen to 1% or 50% of the 19 inch M sport alloys?
Any options a must have? I only really want leather as the standard is awful imo?
What should I pay from a BMW dealer for 2007-2008 models with 12 - 35k on the clock?
Have been told a 2k premium is on for white cars as they are so popular. Is this correct?
Are the pcp plans the best way to finance one rather than hp?

Cheers

p.s - don't try to make me change me mind as it's taken this long to decide on the colour/engine etc.
Old 14 March 2010, 10:15 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

He doesn't like Msport derivatives, imitating proper M cars with their big wheels, multiple exhausts yada yada yada
Old 14 March 2010, 10:55 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I know that's why I stipulated that he can't try to change my mind.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:07 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
I know that's why I stipulated that he can't try to change my mind.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:22 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

The 19" rims WILL crack. If not today then a few 1000 miles down the road. They crack on the inside edge of the alloy- these cars seem to be running too aggresive an angle on the rear wheels- if you go for 19's get the geometry set to its limits to reduce the camber as much as possible on the rear wheels.
The spec you mention would be looking at arond £20k to £22k.
Here is one examlpe 2006 BMW 3 SERIES COUPE 3000 cc 335i SE 2dr Auto
BMW are litterally releasing a new 335i as we speak with a twin scroll single turbo that actually delivers 1bhp more than the twin turbo current version.
The issue with the 335i (twin turbo) is that it has a problem where the block has a tendancy to crack, right between the oil and water galleries- causing symptoms of a blown head gasket.
BMW finance is where the salesman makes his money- they want you to be in debt to them! I'd say go to the bank and get a loan- it's much safer, and you'd probably get a better rate.
Leather is i must on this car, autos drive absolutely beautifully.
Anything else you need to know just ask.
Regards
Matt.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:55 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rooky. Sound like right ****ters these BM's, so much for reliabilty. Will them alloys above crack? I can't be doing with spending 1000's every year on new alloys as I only like the 19's (sorry Mattee). Looks like I may have to re think the BM now.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:06 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Its just the 335i twin turbos that suffer from this problem- hense BMW releasing the new single turbo engine (coded as the n55) This engine is a much stronger variant.
Old 15 March 2010, 08:27 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Have a read of this....

BBC - Watchdog: Are some BMW wheels all they're cracked up to be?
Old 15 March 2010, 10:30 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rookymatt
Its just the 335i twin turbos that suffer from this problem- hense BMW releasing the new single turbo engine (coded as the n55) This engine is a much stronger variant.
I can only afford a second hand 335i though which will have the twin turbo.

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I have read that link. Is there a fix for this. i.e get new alloys and fit non run flat tyres, or does this not work?
Old 15 March 2010, 10:43 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Jim - worth checking E90post.com (the UK section) as there are some VERY knowledgeable folk on there.

With the alloys - the worst are the SE 19" ones (five spoke), followed by the 19" M Sports then the 18" M Sports for cracking. It's a big headache and although they do look amazing (especially on a Coupe), they have caused legal actions against BMW. I'd be nervous. My little shopping trolley wheels may not be the "coolest" but they are absolutely rock solid!

New 3 series coupe is coming out right now but due to EU regulations, it has wing mirrors the size of barn doors and looks a bit odd. Otherwise the changes are very small visually. A few reports seem to indicate that the new single turbo isn't as good as the twin turbo to drive but then if it's more reliable, that could be useful. TBH I don't think the 335i engine issues are common but they are pretty bad. Seems worse in the US too.

Leather is a must - all sorts are decent (always Dakota or the even plusher "Individual" leather). I love my Terra (slightly reddish brown) leather but black is good as is beige, saddle brown and a few others. Avoid grey. And avoid any wood.

£2k premium sounds daft - seen loads of white ones around and they do "work" in this colour. The fad will soon die out though.

No idea about finance!

The 335i Coupe is a cracking (excuse the pun) car but you need to get the right one. The auto is great and very common - apparently manuals are actually a lot harder to sell. It's a great 'box though (the auto).

RookyMatt does it again - nice one!

Oh and tyres - I stuck non RFTs on mine and the difference is amazing - they are essential. But they are harder to get in the right sizes in 19s so looks around carefully. The 162 alloys (18") are very strong and look great - worth getting these maybe?

Last edited by Matteeboy; 15 March 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 10:56 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I'm by all means not trolling the 335i by the way, i just see the bad ones don't forget!! hehe. There are some very nice examples around and with the new m3 out, alot have been part exchanged. So there are some real jems about.
Jim whats your budget? i'll have a look on my sales log to see whats in.
Oh and to answer your question about the tyres- yes the non run flats will help and improve the ride
however i don't feel they are a real preventative measure to ensure against cracking these poo 19" rims.
I'd go for 18" as the only damaged ones i've delt with have been over some monumental potholes!!

Last edited by rookymatt; 15 March 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: More info
Old 15 March 2010, 11:18 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Budget wise I've been looking at cars from £22k to £28K. I am umming and arring now as the engine issues don't seem too regular so not really a problem.

It's just the alloys I can't get my head around. For the wife and I it has to be the M Sport alloys. Can you get an M Sport with 18's as I may have a look?

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a fix for this but if i spend 1k plus on some new alloys and they crack again in a years time I'd be fuming. Are BMW still selling these alloys?

I could wait for the Audi S5's to depreciate a bit more

Last edited by Jimpreza; 15 March 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:20 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure they have stopped selling them as an option on new cars- but yes they still produce these wheels. I'll have a look now for you.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:27 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt and Mattee for the advice.

Rooky I didn't realise you worked for BMW. What do you do there?
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Right........ we have an e92 57plate 335i m sport in sapphire black with red coral leather. Prof nav+tv, heated seats, AC schnitzer alloys (20"!!) aero body kit (bmw fit not some pikey version), bluetooth, business stereo, sun protection glass (slight tint) 12,200 miles on the clock 28,995. Thats just one dealer example- all of the others we have are silver with grey leather!!
BMW tech mate.
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I think they E92 M Sport comes with 18s as standard (182s I think) - they aren't as bad as the 19s but still have issues.

For wheel types, check this link:

Felgen-Katalog - BMW-Treff - der Treffpunkt für alle BMW-Fans und -Fahrer

Wheels affected are (in order of how likely they are to crack) - 230s (SE), 193s (M Sport) and 225s (M Sport).

Last edited by Matteeboy; 15 March 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:43 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

in case you missed it see post 15
Old 15 March 2010, 11:46 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Approved Used BMW

Out of my price range, but the car above has the wheels I like. Are these the least likely to crack out of the big wheels? I haven't told the missus yet about these issues but what are the chances of the above wheels cracking 50/50? I am just worried as my car park has pot holes all over it.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:56 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They are 225s and are prone to cracking unfortunately - not as bad as 230s but worse than the 18s. They do look stunning though

Worth checking this post - Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com
Old 15 March 2010, 11:59 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

These are an affected style yes. However of the magnitude of wheels we've had in, this design has been one of the least numbers. That is for a london dealer with absolutely toilet roads.
Thats practically a new car hence the 31k price tag! These are about 40k new with that spec (educated guess- might be even more)
Old 15 March 2010, 12:01 PM
magneel1
Scooby Regular

I had a 3-series convertible with 19Inch M-Sport alloys, Lasted me 2 years with no probs before i sold the car.
Very nice and stable drive...

Neel
Old 15 March 2010, 12:52 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I am just reading all the links and articles on the alloys now. Has anyone put after market alloys on and had a problem? It just seems that we don't know if it's run flat tyres, the alloy or the camber of the wheels. Do all tyresd wear down so badly on the inside of the rears?
Old 15 March 2010, 12:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Jim - not if you make sure they are set up okay and keep the pressures spot on.

It's worse on the bigger tyres but can still be reduced. I think it's the camber of the wheels that does it rather than the alloys - there's a lot of negative camber needed. Even mine on 17s looks quite "splayed" from certain angles!

Many out aftermarket alloys on but yet to see any that I really like.

This place is good for quality reps:

BM Autosport :: New
Old 15 March 2010, 02:22 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

What do you mean by set up correctly? Do you mean buy one with non runflats already fitted?
Old 15 March 2010, 02:32 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Think he means, the geometrey. Basically it's quite easy for camber to be put to a negative state thanks to influences such as....
1. Humped speed humps (those shorter ones you can put between the wheels if you know what i mean)
2. Hitting kerbs- most suspension components are made of soft alloys these days
3. Pot holes taling a toll
4. run flat tyres are very hard in construction- which means any harsh impact isn't absorbed by the side wall, thusly transferring the shock through the wheel and into the suspension.
5. Tyre pressures being wrong can have the same effect as item 4.

I actually had a chap from bridgestone come down and we set up a customers car with as positive a camber as possiible to see if that could resolve issues (this customer had bought 6 wheels from us due to cracking!!)
Not herd from the customer as yet!! So fingers crossed

As to aftermarket alloys- seen lots of these ac schnitzer rims fitted and not cracked- but have seen a few buckled!!!
Hope thats of some help.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:40 PM
magneel1
Scooby Regular

I am just reading all the links and articles on the alloys now. Has anyone put after market alloys on and had a problem? It just seems that we don't know if it's run flat tyres, the alloy or the camber of the wheels. Do all tyresd wear down so badly on the inside of the rears?

Its normally the cambers and depends how you drive too...
I got a new set of rear tyres for my E46 convertible and lasted about 18Months untill they needed changing. This was with driving harshly, rear wheel donuts etc too .
Old 15 March 2010, 02:45 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Don't know if you remember an episode of top gear where they compare an m3 amg merc and an audi? Clarkson managed to destroy the inside of one of the mercs tyres due to general hooliganism and he only covers about 100miles. Hard cornering puts alot of strss on the edges of the tyres and thats due to the fact that the tyres are litterally holding on for grip on those extreme points. Hense the uneven wear.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:47 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks. So if I do go ahead and buy one with my heart and not my head what do you suggest.

1. Ask for a geometry set up with as much positive camber as possible (how much does this cost? does it affect the handling and ride at all?
2. Put non run flats on.
3. Ask them to check if the alloys are cracked already.
Old 15 March 2010, 03:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Jim -
1)The car should be set up correctly by BMW but do ask them. I wouldn't mess with the camber if possible. Expensive and might stuff it up. Mine has a fair bit but it's spot on. It came like that. I had my wheels balanced twice but it now seems fine. I think with cars like these, it's easy to get too picky and never get it right. Some spend £350 on laser alignment for example!!
2) Mine came with the Bridgstone RFTs. As they are smallish, the ride wasn't as harsh as 18s or 19s BUT they tramline like mad. As soon as my tyres got anywhere near worn (3mm), I replaced all four. The difference was huge and the car is now spot on. The minor downsides are if you get a flat (I have a 12v air compressor and some Tyre weld) and I think the non RFTs (Conti SC3s) are a bit noisier.
3) Definitely get the alloys checked - after fighting hard, I think BMW now realise they cocked up and are trying to do something about the issues. Check them yourself too. Some have even managed to get some kind of guarantee/agreement in case the alloys break.

A slightly random thing - the rear tyre pressures are much higher than the front - 2.1bar front, 2.6 bar rear on mine but even higher for bigger rubber. I still find that really odd!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 15 March 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 15 March 2010, 03:10 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

No dealer will put the car on a geo setup unless there is something wrong. Same thing with the tyres. (there is a profit to be had remember! hehehe)
Matteeboy....
Don't forget when you used to pump up your push bike tyres as a kid they were at like 4.2bar!! The smaller the sidewall- the generally higher the pressure.

Quick Reply: Second hand BMW 335i - Matteeboy will know