Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Chris Harris - kicking off BIG time about Ferrari......

Old 16 February 2011, 05:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris Harris - kicking off BIG time about Ferrari......

http://ca.jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Old 16 February 2011, 08:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Hmm, very interesting. I knew a Ferrari pit crew tag along with every test drive (as pictured in magazines), but didn't know they took 2 cars, 1 being tuned for straight line speed.

I guess this does take the shin off ferrari for me a little bit. Would I own one? Damn right I would. But I wouldn't be confident about just how fast it was anymore.
Old 16 February 2011, 08:04 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I guess this means any test between the 458 & MP4-12C will be unfair and one sided.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:05 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

And it still lost in the Autocar Driver's Car of the Year/evo Driver's Car of the Year.

I remember that 360 test - it is was 2s faster to 100 than any of it's competitor's or any customer car. Pretty impressive.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:26 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

an interesting read, nothing really jumped up off the page as a massive shock though.
Old 16 February 2011, 10:28 PM
DannyM
Scooby Regular

anyone remember the whole Porsche vs Nissan saga over Nurburgring times?

sadly, they all do it.

Last edited by DannyM; 17 February 2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 11:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Now, now!

We all know the Nissan was simply supernaturally quick
Old 17 February 2011, 06:47 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

nowt surprising...but nicely written, got time for Harris he certainly doesn’t seem to suffer fools.
Old 17 February 2011, 11:22 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

This is classic Kettle calling the (blank)...Hypocritical really, the makers have all been playing this game with the magazines since the 90's. Now Ferrari plays extra dirty and the boys get mad. We need a free press, that is not funded by the car industry for god sakes,j
Old 18 February 2011, 11:17 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Did I hear summat about the E types released to the press were all super quick in comparison to customer cars?

Regardless, I don't understand the fuss about car reviews, Top Gear included. I wouldn't buy a car recommended by anyone, a magazine, a TV show, Schumacher, Loeb... I really don't care what anyone else thinks, I buy cars that I like!
Old 18 February 2011, 12:15 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
This is classic Kettle calling the (blank)...Hypocritical really, the makers have all been playing this game with the magazines since the 90's. Now Ferrari plays extra dirty and the boys get mad. We need a free press, that is not funded by the car industry for god sakes,j
Think you are missing the point tbh; common sense would dictate press cars are always as good as they can be and you can't knock manufacturers for that really...however the point Harris is making is that Ferrari have gone too far...just like in F1 they seem to have become a law unto themselves and have no regard for reality\truth of the situation.
Old 18 February 2011, 12:23 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Requiring permission to test anyone's Ferrari really is VERY silly.

Probably nervous because they all break down a lot.
Old 22 March 2011, 08:57 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

a bit more now...

http://jalopnik.com/?utm_source=Jalo...rrari-responds
Old 22 March 2011, 09:47 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Are the readers (and more importantly) people who comment on Jalopnik on LSD?

Have you read those comments?
Old 22 March 2011, 09:49 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

And the reality is, Chris is not the first person to hint at the blatant manipulation of press cars by Ferrari.

Witness the Autocar DCOTY test = they turned up with a full engineering team to 'optimise' the car. They have two cars, one for track and one for road.

It's not exactly a surprise.
Old 22 March 2011, 10:00 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

not seen the comments Trout...can I trouble you for a link?

I know there has always been a bit of a dark feel around Ferrari with their alleged mafia links and obsessive road test control tendencies but the organisation seems to have jumped the shark over the last few years...a bit like a well loved child star on crack.
Old 22 March 2011, 10:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

A link to?

There have been comments peppered around the press ever since a 360 was 2s faster to 100mph than any other 360 ever in history!
Old 22 March 2011, 10:22 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

sorry phone trauma\fat finger attack...my guess is most of them are actually American.

I think that's the point, its expected that Ferrari will cheat just not to the extent they now do...or perhaps its just so obvious now it's got peoples' backs up
Old 22 March 2011, 10:28 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I am with you now!! The comments are below the article!
Old 22 March 2011, 10:41 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I am with you now!! The comments are below the article!

senior moment
Old 22 March 2011, 12:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A link to?

There have been comments peppered around the press ever since a 360 was 2s faster to 100mph than any other 360 ever in history!
do people buy these cars based on figures in mags.

maybe one or two idiots, but most surely look beyond manufactors propaganda
Old 22 March 2011, 12:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I remember Clarkson hinting towards Ferrari's press car tactics when compared to other makers. However I wonder how far this goes. I recall the Holden/Vauxhall HSV VXR8s had a dedicated support team, as do some of the specials/supercars.

Also I wonder why BMW has "press preparation" on the car's order code - what does that tag actually entail? All the options? Better engine map? Stiffer shocks/springs? Stickier tyres? Who knows!

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 March 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 22 March 2011, 02:12 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
do people buy these cars based on figures in mags.

maybe one or two idiots, but most surely look beyond manufactors propaganda
There is propaganda and blatant misinformation. It is big difference. It goes to the integrity of the brand.

And of course people are influenced by magazines and the press it would seem naive to deny it.

Look how long it took Skoda to reposition itself - irrespective how good it's cars were.

Being realistic there is no way I would have spent a fortune on an RS if every magazine on earth had said this was the worst/slowest/most rubbish Porsche ever. Did I buy it because they said it was the best, no, but it does ease the way.

Imagine if I now discover that Porsche press cars are secretly 100bhp more than the customer cars? I would be pretty pissed off as an owner.
Old 22 March 2011, 04:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

There is propaganda and blatant misinformation. It is big difference. It goes to the integrity of the brand.

And of course people are influenced by magazines and the press it would seem naive to deny it.

Look how long it took Skoda to reposition itself - irrespective how good it's cars were.

Being realistic there is no way I would have spent a fortune on an RS if every magazine on earth had said this was the worst/slowest/most rubbish Porsche ever. Did I buy it because they said it was the best, no, but it does ease the way.

Imagine if I now discover that Porsche press cars are secretly 100bhp more than the customer cars? I would be pretty pissed off as an owner.
agreed BUT, we are not talking about general opinions here, just the minutia of various timings (down to the level where a normal human could not tell the difference).

Surely what matters is most people agree the Ferrari’s are great to drive – and interestingly the guy who is a member of the car club and recently posted all the cars he has driven on here said if he could keep one it would be the fezza

I am not defending Ferrari's tactics; they do seem a little OTT (I am sure all manufacturers do it to some degree)

It’s just that it only really matters to a few journo’s -- not the average fezza owner

it's not as if you order what you've read about in the mag - and a Fiat turns up on the flatbed 13mnths later
Old 22 March 2011, 04:38 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
agreed BUT, we are not talking about general opinions here, just the minutia of various timings (down to the level where a normal human could not tell the difference).

Surely what matters is most people agree the Ferrari’s are great to drive – and interestingly the guy who is a member of the car club and recently posted all the cars he has driven on here said if he could keep one it would be the fezza

I am not defending Ferrari's tactics; they do seem a little OTT (I am sure all manufacturers do it to some degree)

It’s just that it only really matters to a few journo’s -- not the average fezza owner

it's not as if you order what you've read about in the mag - and a Fiat turns up on the flatbed 13mnths later
Actually that's exactly what happens!

They are so badly made (even now) that they'd make a Fiat look like an 80s Merc for build quality.
Old 22 March 2011, 04:46 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

I disagree Hodgy: their dishonesty reflects poorly on the brand and undermines its value...both financially and esoterically.
Old 22 March 2011, 05:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Actually that's exactly what happens!

They are so badly made (even now) that they'd make a Fiat look like an 80s Merc for build quality.
lol --- maybe (I defer to your experiance on that Mattee)

Trails -- maybe your right, but I can't help thinking this is just a "technical" argument between the press and Ferrari's press team, a bit of "handbags at dawn"

and is irrelevent to most people
Old 22 March 2011, 09:08 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is the minutiae.

I think it was the 360 press car. Did 0-100 in 7.8s. Not other 360 got remotely close to that time. That is a hell of a difference in the driving experience. You would feel that amount of difference on the road.

If they did that to the engine - what about 'optimising' the suspension.

So I buy a car that I believe it quicker than a 911 Turbo and it turns out it is slower than the N/A GT3, at least in a straight line. If true, and it seems to be, that is deceit at best, fraud at worst.
Old 22 March 2011, 09:32 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Indeed and let's face it, when buying a supercar, you're buying it because it's meant to be "better" than pretty much anything else. So that sort of "lying" is pretty much out of order. And where does it stop? Will they BS about bhp and other stuff important to any supercar buyer?
Old 22 March 2011, 09:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is the minutiae.

I think it was the 360 press car. Did 0-100 in 7.8s. Not other 360 got remotely close to that time. That is a hell of a difference in the driving experience. You would feel that amount of difference on the road.

If they did that to the engine - what about 'optimising' the suspension.

So I buy a car that I believe it quicker than a 911 Turbo and it turns out it is slower than the N/A GT3, at least in a straight line. If true, and it seems to be, that is deceit at best, fraud at worst.
but it not about out an out speed is it, otherwise you would have bought a GTR

I asked my neighbour - a Porsche fanatic, he has a GT2 and his wife a Boxter what is the better drive his 360 Scud (he has a Ferrari too) or the Porsche

he had no hesitation that the Ferrari was a better car/drive (not faster, better)

know I confess to knowing fvck all really, my point is Ferrari make great cars (as do Porsche), a Journo gets the hump because they are manipulative and v v competative about their product -- is that such a big deal really

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 22 March 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chris Harris - kicking off BIG time about Ferrari......