ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Anti Lag Kit (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/101703-anti-lag-kit.html)

boyband_pete 03 June 2002 03:21 PM

I know I know, it is bad for the turbo, but the noise it makes.

Does any one know of any threads about this or what is required, I sooooo want it..

Sad Puppy Pete

Katana 03 June 2002 05:10 PM

Its illegal. You'd think that I wouldn't have put it in my car if it wasn't. :D

wacky.banana 04 June 2002 01:53 AM

Katana,

What makes anti lag illegal please?

hanks

WB

SoreHead 04 June 2002 10:32 AM

What the hell is an anti-lag kit?

Big Bear 04 June 2002 10:53 AM

Anti-lag is the thing used by rally cars to keep the turbo spinning in between gear changes and under braking , it is probably illegal because 1 the noise and 2 it fires flames out the exhaust .

If you want anti-lag you will need another ECU that supports it , like MoTeC , gems or pectel etc . It is useless on the raod aprt from scaring tailgaters and old ladies , it also ruins turbos with prolonged use and blows the baffles out of the exhaust , not that I would know I've not got fitted to my car ;) ;)

Big Bear ( with granny scaring capabilites )

SoreHead 04 June 2002 11:05 AM

How does it manage that? Sounds interesting.

Katana 04 June 2002 11:11 AM

Sorry, what I meant to say is that its not road legal. Personally, I can't see why and would've have one in my car. Oh well, shall we have a group buy on superchargers instead? :D

edit~ Wnat your turbo to spool up a bit quicker? Get rid of your dumpvalve. Again this isn't good for the turbo.

[Edited by Katana - 6/4/2002 11:20:42 AM]

Danny Fisher 04 June 2002 11:50 AM

It will ONLY put flames out, if you have already removed the CATS, thus making it illegal anyway.

Dan

SoreHead 04 June 2002 12:28 PM

Still don't understand how it goes about this wonderful task?

Big Bear 04 June 2002 12:48 PM

Sorehead
It does it by retarding the ignition so it fires after TDC , as the exhaust valves open , only works below 4000rpm .

Danny
My car is perfectly legal running no cats goes through the MOT no problem :D

rnr 04 June 2002 09:22 PM

how do rally cars get between stages if it's ilegal?Rich

NENO 04 June 2002 09:47 PM

rnr,

you gonna hate me, but they switch it off when they are on the public highway!

On a related point. The latest issue of RallyXS sees them taking a Hyundai WRC back from the Rally Catalunya. Let me quote 'cos I just loved this story. :D These blokes have got the car back to Paris and have taken it out on the streets, they have a crowd around them, including the local police.

"They even ask for a demo of what a turbo anti-lag system sounds like and JR finally allows us to flick the switch labelled 'Stage'. Fireworks erupt from the exhaust - the crowd love it."

Talk about cool, I want anti-lag. :D

Anyone with it fancy coming to the Surrey meet to show it off ?

DMB 06 June 2002 04:18 PM

http://www.worldrallying.com/if_tek_antilag.php

just for info really

:D

SoreHead 06 June 2002 05:03 PM

I'm getting one of them ;)

boyband_pete 06 June 2002 05:54 PM

DBM thanks for that, now you see why I want one.

ScoobyJawa 07 June 2002 11:08 AM

Having been round Prodrive a week or so ago....

What I remember is that antilag is turn on and offable on the WRC cars. The antilag works by squirting unburnt fuel into the exhaust by the turbo and igniting it so the explosion keeps the turbo spinning. Not good for the turbo. Prodrive said they get through 1 a day when on a rally :eek:

SoreHead 07 June 2002 11:45 AM

Yeh but who needs more than one a day :D

Jan Shim 07 June 2002 01:41 PM

There's no doubting that Anti-Lag System (ALS) sounds really cool both but they are not road legal for one very good reason - braking power is greatly compromised due to ALS taking up most of the vacuum. We have quite a number of WRX and STi running ALS and there had been many near misses because they owners thought it was cool to show it off on the road but didn't realise the car nearly had no brakes.

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/galle...1228269405.jpg

Here's a pic of the PossumLink ALS aluminium "choke" adapter. This device is specially made to ensure the throttle butterfly valve is opened at around 30 TPS while the ALS chip does the rest of the fuel and ignition timing trickery. This cable runs to the throttle butterfly and goes to the spare slot to which Cruise Control is fitted.

Another downside to running ALS on extented periods is not only the turbocharger suffers damage from excessive heat, the entire gallery where the hot gases travel post turbo is affects too. ALS also damages exhaust manifolds and dump pipes. I have personally witness a JUN ex. manifold glowing red hot within just 30 seconds of activating ALS and this was from a cold engine!

To give you an example of the power to do damage from an ALS, we smoked two 450-hp Garretts in a very short time. But there's plenty of power to be had from ALS, it's simply breathtakingly. We had an STi 4 Type R running stock VF24 turbo and with ALS, the car spun all four wheels while the catless exhaust was spitting flames several foot long.

So yeah guys, if you have the money and itch to run ALS, it's FUN while it lasts, coz it never does!

Jan

boyband_pete 07 June 2002 02:31 PM

do you do a kit?