ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Brick effect tiles for kitchen!?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/107992-brick-effect-tiles-for-kitchen.html)

Mossman 26 June 2002 01:53 PM

Hi all,

I am looking to give my kitchen a once over and want to have the bare brick walls - I wish I had an old house with original thing but no such luck. So, soes anyone know where you can get brick effect tiles or something like them!?!

Any answers much appreciated!

Mossman
:)

Scooby Snax 26 June 2002 03:28 PM

so my mate says, on daytime TV he saw they stuck this plastic stuff on the wall and put some like glue stuff on it and painted it and jobs a gooden looked ok. Think you get it from theatre type places. Maybe an arty farty shop.
Of course i never saw this tv program just so you know :D

David_Wallis 26 June 2002 03:43 PM

you can buy hardboard that trys to look like brick... but think whatever you do will look a cnut.. best bet would be to get some thin bricks... but would be expensive..

David

Philip Attaway 26 June 2002 05:05 PM

YUK dont do it ;)

Phil

Your Home Magazine Art Director :p

Brendan Hughes 26 June 2002 05:46 PM

Surely most builders' yards sell facing bricks? Often used for covering up houses made of breezeblocks. About 15mm thick, I guess.

Problem is, they'd look new, you probably want the "distressed" look.

Are you sure it's a good idea on a Barratt Home estate?;):D

Blue 26 June 2002 09:39 PM

Mossman
What you seem to be thinking of is Brick Slips - these are about 15-20mm thick and can be bought pre made in panels. It won't be cheap though - but does look like real brick ('cos they are :D: )

Another way could be to grit blast/jet blast the bricks you have exposed to get a cleaner look.

Neither are jobs I'd like to tackle in my house - why can't you tile it, paper it or paint it like a normal person????

Dr Hu 27 June 2002 09:40 AM

I'm with Mossman on this one......I think old distressed brick walls in a kitchen look the dogs.

Very farmhousey, they look warm & inviting & add a lot of charcter to essentially a very functional room.

Good Luck!

Mossman 27 June 2002 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replies all!
Do you know where you can get the brick slips??!
Mossman
Thanks Dr. Hu!

Blue 27 June 2002 04:26 PM

Mossman, can you leave it with me for a couple of days and I'll make some enqiuries, I don't know if its possible to get them in such small quantities
Blue

Mossman 27 June 2002 04:28 PM

Thanks Blue. Pls email me at jon.moss@smith-nephew.com if u have any luck.
Mossman

tonybooth 27 June 2002 08:35 PM

Mossman

Check out your local Yellow Pages under either Garages or Sectional Buildings as they will be able to supply you the same stuff they use to clad concrete garages.

Cheers

TONY