ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   catalytic Converter Law (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/115516-catalytic-converter-law.html)

n5pug 22 July 2002 07:46 PM

I have been using various search engines to find information on Cat emissions and the uk law surrounding them.
I have failed to find any proof that you *actually* require a cat to be fitted to your vehicle during an MOT test.
the only thing I'm sure of is that it must pass the actual emissions test itself. As I read it, If the "sniffer" records levels of emissions within the critera specified then you should obtain a pass.
Questions are,
Would the "sniffer" be able to pass a vehicle without a cat?
Would a well tuned engine be able to pass the test without a cat ??? (same qustion but worded better)

Ruminations below please :)

pslewis 22 July 2002 07:49 PM

You cannot pass an MOT on emmissions without a CAT - there is only ONE engine in the world that would pass easily without a CAT.

If a CAT was fitted NEW then the vehicle MUST retain a CAT.

As I understand it

Pete

n5pug 22 July 2002 07:51 PM

Is that one engine a Scooby 2.0l turbo :D :D :D
Show me where you are quoting this from please, I need a copy

EDIT : I just need the "white paper" with the wording on so that I can take it to the garage, because...... see post further down

[Edited by n5pug - 7/22/2002 8:22:10 PM]

pslewis 22 July 2002 08:09 PM

Emissions

Vehicles sold in several parts of the world (especially the Middle East, Africa and South America) often do not meet European emissions standards. Please note that petrol-fuelled cars manufactured after August 1992 are required to meet standards that can currently only be achieved by a catalytic converter.

This is from the Dept of the Environment

Oh, yes, the ONLY engine that COULD pass without a CAT is one which ISNT running!! ;)

Pete

Dave T-S 22 July 2002 08:14 PM

In the UK, all cars sold in the home market have to pass the MOT or roadside emissions test to get UK/Euro Type Approval.

It doesn't matter how it achieves that, but as said no modern petrol driven car is likely to pass the current emissions test without a 3 way closed loop catalytic converter - so by default it has to have one (or more) cats.

n5pug 22 July 2002 08:29 PM

Went in the garage this afternoon to ask why the cat that was in the boot when I paid a deposit on the car, was not in the boot when I picked it up !
Answer was.... (after trotting off to the service dept)
"I dont know but he (sevice gentleman sculking in service bay) says that you don't actually need the cat. I'm sure we can sort something out when you bring it in for an MOT".
"I think you'll find you do need a cat" I said "it's not joe public you can fob off here" (hope that bit wasn't too harsh, he was such a nice bloke when making the sale :D ) "I would like the cat that was in the boot when I viewed the car" (salesman goes a little pale here hehe) "I'll look into it" he said.
I promtly left....
Did I do the right thing

Chris.Palmer 22 July 2002 08:46 PM

I know I've been sniffing a few "White board dry marker pens today" but...

with respect to n5pug...

either the punch line for the joke is "no the tabby is an optional extra"!?

or

I've completely lost the point?!

Please explain (pref. using words of less than 1 syllable - coz its been a verrrrry long day)

Thanx in advance.....

Chris

[Edited coz 5th glass of whisky & all is weeeellllll!!!??)

[Edited by Chris.Palmer - 7/22/2002 8:49:39 PM]

n5pug 22 July 2002 09:00 PM

Cat = catalytic converter, the honey comb thing up the exhaust pipe that prevents you from dying if you happen to sniff that too much :D

Chris.Palmer 22 July 2002 09:33 PM

Ok,

Why IS the Cat in the boot of your car - and depending on MY where ARE the other one(or two) Cats?

chrisp 22 July 2002 09:46 PM

Okay all MY's all models had a cat in the Downpipe

UK pre MY01 also had one in the centre exhaust section

MY01 onwards have in the uppipe as well (making 3 cats I think)

MY02 STI Uk only have two cats I think (no uppipe one just dp and centre)

The PPP removes the centre cat hence the reason it was in the boot as the car has been PPP IIRC ;)

It also appears the previous owner of N5PUGs car may also have fitted a decatted downpipe. This means that N5PUG has two options either get a centre or downpipe cat to pass the emissions test. Either would mean the car should pass. Its easy to swap the centre and a lot more difficult to do the downpipe.

Not sure about law wise but I thought every petrol car had to have from 1992 onwards.

[Edited by chrisp - 7/22/2002 9:48:16 PM]

Summy® 22 July 2002 10:03 PM

All engines must have one, it reduces Carbon Monoxide in the atmosphere and this is how. The catalytic converter is a compartment in the engine that contains oxygen. This is how the reaction occurs, Carbon Monoxide is 1 Part Carbon and One part Oxygen, while Carbon Dioxide is one part Carbon and 2 parts oxygen. When the Carbon Monoxide passes through the catalytic Converter it is oxidised meaning that Another oxygen atom will be added to it, causing The Carbon monoxide to have one part Carbon and Two atoms of oxygen, therefore turning the Carbon Monoxide into Carbon Dioxie. I will Tell You a Secret though, Most of the Carbon Monoxide pollution in the world doesn't come from cars. It comes From Tree leaves when they go through a process called 'Leaf Necrosis' which is when leaves turn from Green to yellow and get dry and crumple up, they release Carbon Monoxide during this process.

[Edited by Summy® - 7/22/2002 10:07:47 PM]

n5pug 22 July 2002 10:08 PM

Cut down all deciduous trees

Hooray for Coniferous trees :D

Chris.Palmer 22 July 2002 10:10 PM

chrisp,

Interesting deduction my dear Watson...

So you think its a PPP hence the Cat in the boot...

That would explain it.

byeeeee,

Chris

Summy® 23 July 2002 03:51 PM

Don't get scraed, I'm not a nerd or Geek or anything like that. I am an Environmental Health Officer so I know this kinda stuff.

normarker 23 July 2002 09:46 PM

If you want a proper explanation of how these things work try
www.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

CataIunya 23 July 2002 10:04 PM

So lets get this straight......A car has to have cat even if could pass an emmisions test without one ?
Has anyone had there impreza turbo legitimately pass an MOT with no CATS ?

scoobycar60 23 July 2002 10:34 PM

yes my old sti2 (no cats) got thru an MOT by the skin of its teeth. No idea how though.

RON 23 July 2002 11:35 PM

The reason the STI2 got through would be because there are dufferent rules for uk cars, and ones that are imported.
They are unfortuneately, less stringent on imports.
Ron.
MY00 decatted!!

mutant_matt 24 July 2002 08:43 AM

Summy.

Don't get scraed, I'm not a nerd or Geek or anything like that. I am an Environmental Health Officer so I know this kinda stuff.
LOL. And I believe that mankind accounts for only 2% of the Carbon Dioxide created on the planet!!! So all these ever increasing emmissions clampdowns are doing a whole host of good huh??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Matt :)

Dave T-S 24 July 2002 08:50 AM

Catalunya
I thought I had explained in my previous post......but no, a car does NOT have to have a cat in the UK. But it won't get through the Euro 3 or 4 emissions regs, and get Euro Type Approval to be sold in the UK without one (or two) cats.

boomer 24 July 2002 08:58 PM

Summy®

I will Tell You a Secret though, Most of the Carbon Monoxide pollution in the world doesn't come from cars. It comes From Tree leaves...
But sadly the manufacturers of "cats" would not make billions of pounds worth of profit out of tree exhausts, so they screw the motorist instead. :(

mb

graham pritchard 24 July 2002 10:54 PM

PS L quoting his usual uninformed stuff again.
My 98 with full decat has just passed legitimately
it's MOT, although it was warm when I took it in.

Fuzz 24 July 2002 11:03 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
sure it wasn't rigged