ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Snooper SD815iS Radar Detector??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/11770-snooper-sd815is-radar-detector.html)

kelvin 17 June 2001 07:35 PM

Does anyone have any experience with one of these??? Just seen one advertised in a magazine for £299.95 and it appears to be very good:-

Gatso's up to 100 yds
Radar and Laser Guns up to 2 miles
Mini Gatsos up to 600 yds

Question is, are they worth buying?? Pretty much made up my mind to get one but is this the model to go for? And is this a reasonable price?

Also, from a legal point of view where will I stand - I don't have a clue about these things!!

Any opinions/suggestions will be gratefully received http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif - more info on it can be found on

WREXY 17 June 2001 07:49 PM

Judging from most on the bbs the Bell Euro 550 is the best, going for 320.00 GBP, but only after quoting the bbs group buy to David Baxter on 01555 666 444 from

JW390898 17 June 2001 08:35 PM

I bought one second hand not so long back, still not sure how good they are only had one laser to test on and i had seen it as it bleeped anyway (did sense it though) its irritating in a very built up area as i finud the city mode a waste of time as it cuts out more than just the crap i suspect (just anyting under certain strength and by then it could be too late) I live in fairly rural area and if you can put up with bleeps at certain types of traffic lights (same ones oin my journeys but not all so presume some vary in frequency!?) then id rather have a warning then not at all but I wouldnt pay more than the £130 notes I did to be honest, at £300 id be more inclined to go for one of the group buys going on for the laser jammers, watch for gatso markings and on A roads and motorways beware of whats round bends - be patient as i see them come up on here second hand - i found mine looking on loot website, at half price theyre not bad £300 nah id leave it alone - dont know what the bell is like.

X SOOOBY 17 June 2001 08:41 PM

i`ve got one yeh i`m glad i got it but it dose have its limits ie gatsos about 50 metres and the rest i`m not sure about the most annoying thing about it is that it goes off at virtually every set of traffic lights becouse of the radar i paid £299 for mine but i suppose if it saves one speeding then its worth all the false alarms

Phil 17 June 2001 09:18 PM

I have had mine since they first released it

I admit traffic light radar is annoying but I have a clean license

PS I also have a snooper deflector

Phil

G8WEB 17 June 2001 11:20 PM

I've had one or similar for over a year. I think they are as good as any but...

They are good at telling you have gone past one or that there is one on the other side of the road. Not so good at telling you you are approaching on but do give you a bit of a warning.

the false alarms mean you ignore it sometimes when you shouldn't!

They are not good at hand held lasers (like Police use on bridges etc as the laser guns register your speed in a split second. Also they are not good more recent cameras which face you which seem to be triggered by wheels passing over a sensor.

All in all they are OK but a long way from fallible. I did see one based on GPS advertised - it knows where you and all the cameras are and you get updates via the web.

Bit pricey though

hutton_d 17 June 2001 11:41 PM

I have the 715 and it has probably saved me from a few points over the last couple of weeks. Not the most expensive out there but it does detect live Gatos (if radar operated!!). Travelled out of London at very late hours the last two weekends (like between midnight and 3am..). Sort of time where you can travel quite safely at 70 on 50 signed roads (like the A3 south to the M25) because there is almost zero other traffic.

As I don't travel these roads so often now I forget where all the cameras are. BUT I do know they are there and I know what the limit is. A couple of times the 715 has bleeped and I've slowed and then seen the camera. Good investment in myopinion. and a LOT less than other detectors on the market.

The others are right. It does get a lot of false alarms BUT mainly in town and so they only really bother passengers.

Not had a laser pointed at me yet but those ar so quick I wouldn't be surprised if I got caught out.

Dave

WREXY 18 June 2001 12:37 AM

Would someone please answer my question posted above.

WREXY.

WREXY 18 June 2001 09:34 AM

Does the radar detector pick up laser only when it is directed to your car or does it also pick up cars that are ahead of you. Say you're 1 mile behind a few cars and the police aim at the first car will the detector pick up the signal?

WREXY.

Dragon 18 June 2001 09:53 AM

I had a 715 model and thought it was rubbish, so sold it.

In retrospect, I'd have paid a little more and had the Bell model instead as these are excellent and worth the additional cost.

Jim.

blp 18 June 2001 10:47 AM

Ive got one. Gatsos & hand held is fine. Yes, it does go off when it spots a traffic light with a box on top. Interestingly enough it did not pick up a laser gun the other day, but another bit of kit that i have did. Ive heard that a lot of gatsos have had there power turned down nowadays, and i am a little suspisious as to wether its picking up all lowe power gatsos.

networx 18 June 2001 11:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kelvin:
<B>Does anyone have any experience with one of these??? Just seen one advertised in a magazine for £299.95 and it appears to be very good:-

Gatso's up to 100 yds
Radar and Laser Guns up to 2 miles
Mini Gatsos up to 600 yds

Question is, are they worth buying?? Pretty much made up my mind to get one but is this the model to go for? And is this a reasonable price?

Also, from a legal point of view where will I stand - I don't have a clue about these things!!

Any opinions/suggestions will be gratefully received http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif - more info on it can be found on

Dragon 18 June 2001 01:23 PM

Wrexy,

As already stated, I had an older model which I didn't think was much cop - however they may have made the 815 better, I don't know.
If I was to buy another R/D then I would definately have a Bell.

Secondly, they aren't illegal to buy or use, this was revoked a few years ago, however the Police etc. are trying to impose this again.

Jim.

networx 18 June 2001 04:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by WREXY:
<B>Would someone please answer my question posted above.

WREXY.[/quote]

No

The further the distance the bigger the scatter of the laser signal will get.

networx 18 June 2001 04:42 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dragon:
<B>Wrexy,

As already stated, I had an older model which I didn't think was much cop - however they may have made the 815 better, I don't know.
If I was to buy another R/D then I would definately have a Bell.

Secondly, they aren't illegal to buy or use, this was revoked a few years ago, however the Police etc. are trying to impose this again.

Jim.

[/quote]

Definetly buy Bell forget about snooper ask the 550 group buy guy's for their opinion.

Detectors are perfectly legal.

Don't listen to anything other wise

WREXY 18 June 2001 05:27 PM

Sorry Networx for being thick but I'm confused. Is that, no, my radar detector will not pickup if I'm a few cars behind? http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/confused.gif

If the laser signal is scattered that means it would pickup, right? http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/confused.gif

Sorry for being a nuisance but I'm trying to decide whether to buy a R/D which if yes, would be the Bell 550

In my town laser is used a lot and the police have just started to use gatso's, however in Athens both are used and I head over there a fair bit.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 19 June 2001).]

PhilH 18 June 2001 07:14 PM

Why not get a cheap but very effective BEL 855STi before I part-ex (probably this week).

See

networx 19 June 2001 09:25 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by WREXY:
<B>Sorry Networx for being thick but I'm confused. Is that, no, my radar detector will not pickup if I'm a few cars behind? http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/confused.gif

If the laser signal is scattered that means it would pickup, right? http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/confused.gif

Sorry for being a nuisance but I'm trying to decide whether to buy a R/D which if yes, would be the Bell 550

In my town laser is used a lot and the police have just started to use gatso's, however in Athens both are used and I head over there a fair bit.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 19 June 2001).][/quote]

With the Laser beam been scattered that means that a Radar Detector would pick up a weak laser signal and give you a low reading on the Detector.

And as for Gatso camera's again the same concept Radar signals in the air etc,etc

Hope this helps

WREXY 19 June 2001 09:50 AM

Cheers Networx,

You've cleared it up for me now. Looks like I'll be ordering one with the group buy from David Baxter. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

WREXY.

WREXY 27 June 2001 12:01 PM

I have decided to buy the Bell Euro 550 and it has been ordered, well yesterday now, with the group buy. I'd like to thank one of my good friends on this bbs who helped me out by ordering the detector for me and who will be bringing it to me when he comes here for a holiday. He decided to order one for himself too.

I'd also like to thank Networx for his valuable information.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 27 June 2001).]

WREXY 27 June 2001 03:02 PM