ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What's Chorley like? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/270376-whats-chorley-like.html)

Up_North 11 November 2003 01:17 PM

I'm relocating from Teesside to the North West. Working in Southport. Can probably (just) afford something in Southport but it seems if you go slightly further out you get a bit more for your money. Chorley looks easily commutable and property prices reasonable. Would appreciate any thoughts on the area.

Cheers

Ian

Andy McCord 11 November 2003 01:34 PM

not 2 bad good muni golf course :D

yoza 11 November 2003 01:39 PM

I get thoughts of the Hovis advert when Chorley is mentioned.

Driven through loads of times, but never sampled the culture.

Doesnt look too inviting to be honest.

LG John 11 November 2003 01:42 PM

Well, shorting its pretty good and gives you a pretty good hit it can wreck your nose......... Oh chorley, I thought you said charley ;):D

Hanley 11 November 2003 02:13 PM

Local radio station is good

Chorley FM....coming in your ears!!!!

:D :D

TopBanana 11 November 2003 02:16 PM

The best thing about chorley is the drainage system. Very efficient

RRH 11 November 2003 02:27 PM

I have a lovely flat to rent in Southport if you're looking;)

simon:D

Up_North 11 November 2003 02:38 PM

Simon,

Thanx - company rents me a flat in Birldale for the next 3 months - but I'm looking for something bigger to buy.

Ian

blue172 11 November 2003 03:53 PM

Ian,

I live in Chorley... If you have any questions let me know

Cheers
John

GaryCat 11 November 2003 04:13 PM

I grew up in Chorley but moved down south at the age of 20 so most of my experience is about 18 years out of date. It's well situated for bigger towns like Bolton, Preston, Manchester, Blackpool but small enough itself. It rains alot, like many towns west of the pennines but the area is nice and has plenty of amenities.

Have a look here http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/la.../chorley/info/ or http://www.chorleyonline.com/index.asp for more info

Up_North 11 November 2003 04:26 PM

Thanx for the info guys.

John,

Just glancing through an estate agents web site - any comments on these areas:
Lower Burgh Way/Burgh Meadows
Dunrobin Drive
Cherryfields
New developments at Buckshaw village and Gillibrands

Cheers

Ian

misty 11 November 2003 04:54 PM

Hiya m8! worked in Chorley for nearly 20 years now, It's always feckin cold!! Don't do Gillibrands!!! A bit ruff just above it (liptrott). All else not to bad. Have you thought of Leyland a little nearer to Southport 16 miles, warmer than Chorley, and I live here!!!
davehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_6_25.gif

stu200 11 November 2003 05:30 PM

I work there ... but live somewhere else.

It has its own weather system that, to this day, still defies the best efforts of the Met Office. A local bookie once took bets on whether it would rain tomorrow in Chorley, but nowhere else within 100 miles - he took a lot of bets and closed (penniless) two days later.

Like most towns of its size it has good and bad areas.

South East - Mainly small terraced houses, the Asian quarter.
North East - Ex-council estates and terraces, the Trisha/Kilroy quarter.
South West - Ex-council estates and terraces, the prison visit quarter.
North West - Semi's, detatched & bungalows close to Ashton Park - the Daily Mail quarter.

If sprawling suburbia is your thing, they're building hundreds of houses on the site of the old munitions works at Euxton, just NW of Chorley. Probably cheap and only a slight chance of an unexploded bomb being set off by the barbeque ;)

Once you get away from the town limits, though, things are generally less grim and there's some loveley places out towards Anglezarke and Rivington.

If, however, getting pi55ed and fighting in the streets on a Saturday night is your cup of tea, then a chap in the office has got a town centre flat for rent that's within crawling distance of the high street and only a 4 quid taxi ride from A&E.

If you go to the baker's, always ask for an Eccles Cake and if challenged, explain you don't want an inferior knock-off product when they try to sell you a Chorley Cake. Don't expect to find any butter in a Butter Pie.

[Edited by stu200 - 11/11/2003 5:32:29 PM]

RB5-Black 11 November 2003 05:39 PM

coming in your ears!!!!
:eek:

CLSII 11 November 2003 06:57 PM

It's worth ringing the local police and asking about what the crime rates are like.

I've done this before and they were very helpful.

CLSII

NACRO 11 November 2003 07:02 PM

quote: "they're building hundreds of houses on the site of the old munitions works at Euxton, just NW of Chorley"

Lovely brown field, ex MOD site where the land has been certified free of contaminants, so they say. Don't bother.
Some nice countryside around the area you'd do better to live out there a bit IMHO. Chorley is rough, Liptrot folk are reknowned for being inbred, Leyland died when the motor industry left. As I say some beautiful areas of countryside to live in.

Having said all that about Chorley it could be worse, after all Preston is only 10 miles down the road.

[Edited by NACRO - 11/11/2003 7:03:08 PM]

mj 11 November 2003 08:24 PM

Can't ever say I've been to Chorley myself so can't really comment, but it sounds a bit ropey, bit like Manchester :D.

Have driven through Ormskirk a few times, looks quite a nice place.

Whatever you do though, dont go south of Southport -

http://www.dodgy-scouser.com/scousers.jpg

Flat 4x4 11 November 2003 08:41 PM

Kenny, get me a Zantac

blue172 11 November 2003 10:12 PM

Ian,
Dunrobin drive is a nice cul de sac located in Euxton just outside of chorley. I use to have a mate who lived there, they are pretty new houses and a resonable size 3/4 bedrooms..
Not very big rooms though! But5 minutes down the road towards southport there is some really nice houses in small quite areas.

Buckshaw village is a new development on the old ROF site.
To be honest I would try and find out abit more info, as I worked there for a while and there was plenty of problems with the land being very swampy!!

I would try and stay away from the houses near chorley town center
As there is some real rough areas!! Liptrot rd etc..

If I was you I would head outside of chorley..
Eccleson is a pretty nice area which is just outside of chorley towards southport..

Sorry for the quick scribble.. but Ive just finished watching wifeswap :-)

Thanks
John

blue172 11 November 2003 10:29 PM

Stu200..Pissin myself here your comments are sooo true..

RRH 11 November 2003 10:38 PM

oi mj, I'm south of southport- only by six miles, in footballer belt freshfield.

shame I can't be doing with footballers really;)

pilkster 11 November 2003 11:19 PM

Nice place m8y, I know plenty of people who are buying the new houses on the gillibrand estate and they are all made up with the area. Listen to advice from a CHORLEY lad rather than outsiders!! "Chorley, the little town with the big heart" :D

Cord 12 November 2003 12:47 AM

I live just a few miles from chorley (mawdesley) and personally I would rather live in one of the small villages outside of the town. Try Euxton, Eccleston, Heskin, Wrightington, Parbold, Mawdesley, Croston.

p.s. we'll tune your car for you when you get here!!!!

gregjd 12 November 2003 10:32 AM

CHORLEY FM, wher the listener always comes first :)

Up_North 12 November 2003 10:47 AM

Cord,

I spent 4 long years staying at the Mawdesley Eating House and Hotel!!! I know all of those villages very well. Definite scoob roads!!!

The idea of a village appeals, but, er so does the idea of bradband internet and I get the feeling most of those villages ain't cabled up or are beyond the range of ADSL.

Ian

EvoBarry 12 November 2003 11:09 AM

I live just a few miles from chorley (mawdesley) and personally I would rather live in one of the small villages outside of the town. Try Euxton, Eccleston, Heskin, Wrightington, Parbold, Mawdesley, Croston.
I agree, having lived in Parbold for fifteen years, but prices are getting a tad silly in the villages now and if your struggling to find a place in Southport I reckon you will struggle with these places too. Parbold is handy for Southport (12miles/30 mins) yet is only five mins from the M6, which can be very useful. All the above villages are very pleasant though. Not sure about the rest but I think Parbold is nearly up to its quota for broadband.

Small world tho, one of my mates from school days used to be the manager at Mawdesley Eating House :)

Cord 17 November 2003 12:07 AM

Eating house is 2 mins from my house, what was your manager friend called? Not Eddy Newton by any chance?

EvoBarry 17 November 2003 10:39 AM

No, hes moved on to a place in Euxton now, it was Duncan Holder. Not sure when he left tbh, I only caught up with him in April at a mates wedding.

His mum lives round the back of the Eating House I think. Strangely I've never actually eaten there that I can remember, I much prefer the Eagle & Child in Bispham. Superb pub that. :)

Just noticed the RB Motorsport link, don't suppose you deal with second hand alloys do you? I'm after some 15s for the Sunny ;)

[Edited by EvoBarry - 11/17/2003 10:41:09 AM]

Cord 17 November 2003 08:58 PM

ha ha ha small world!!

I know Dunc, am actually going snowboarding with him in March. We are based a few doors up the hill from dunc's mum's but sorry no alloys.

EvoBarry 17 November 2003 10:21 PM

Cool! how do you know him then? I went to school with the little guy :D He should remember me ;)

Small world indeed...