ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   penalty for having no MOT? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/321487-penalty-for-having-no-mot.html)

zesty 22 April 2004 06:51 PM

penalty for having no MOT?

My brother inlaw got pulled a couple of days ago and given a producer, trouble is that when he looked at the MOT he found that it had run it in January this year, he will get a new MOT for when he goes to the police station but what penalty is he likely to get?

bartmanuk 22 April 2004 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by zesty
My brother inlaw got pulled a couple of days ago and given a producer, trouble is that when he looked at the MOT he found that it had run it in January this year, he will get a new MOT for when he goes to the police station but what penalty is he likely to get?

a couple of hundred quid fine would be the norm...

BM

stevebt 22 April 2004 07:02 PM

if he produces a valid MOT at the police station i cant see why it can go any further, as he has just renewed his mot and whats to say he didnt have one before they are not going to check back with dvla and find out

corradoboy 22 April 2004 07:06 PM

If the MOT was issued between the producer being given and the documents being produced they will want proof of MOT at the time of issue of the producer. I had this once where I was just 1 week out, and they considered doing me, but let me off. Being several months out I can't see them being so lenient.

papascooby 22 April 2004 07:52 PM

i think insurance is invalid if you don't have a valid MOT. Pssible 6 points for that?

bartmanuk 22 April 2004 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by papascooby
i think insurance is invalid if you don't have a valid MOT. Pssible 6 points for that?

you would have to be very unlucky to get done for no insurance,this is normally the case if you have an accident with no mot...

but if they did want to take it that far then 3-9 points for no insurance,as well as a fine up to £1000,plus the £200-£250 fine for the no mot...

BM

zesty 22 April 2004 08:14 PM

I told him that they could be hard and have him for no insurance. I feel sorry for him as his/my father inlaw sold him the car and told him it had an MOT.

Bandit127 22 April 2004 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by zesty
I told him that they could be hard and have him for no insurance. I feel sorry for him as his/my father inlaw sold him the car and told him it had an MOT.

As someone who's been done for no MOT more times that I've got the fingers to count on - the following is true:
If your mate produced valid insurance then he can't be convicted of having no insurance. Regardless of what p*ssass small print he's got on his insurance certificate - you can't be convicted for having no insurance if you have a valid certificate for when you were stopped.
Your mate will get NO POINTS for no MOT. Zero. Zilch. Nowt. Not having MOT is NOT an endorsable offence.
(The idea is that you break down in tears upon arrest, tell the arresting officer you've got no MOT and then he pulls the car in to the Police Garage for a good check over. Then you get 3 points for each brake light bulb not working/bald tire/empty washer bottle....)

In my time (it was a few years ago) it was a standard £40 fine and that's it.

Jim

P.S. Funny thing getting old - used to think insurance was a p*sstake - went without for a good 5 years. Wouldn't go out for a packet of fags without it now...

Turbotits 22 April 2004 09:25 PM

Totally agree with bandit. You cant get points for no mot. Its just a fine as long as the havent found that the car is in an unroad worthy condition which i gather they haven't. Points often given when a car is found to have no mot are for defects. Tyre's bald,Lights not working that kind of thing.

Mal K 22 April 2004 10:18 PM

He could even get a caution. I kid you not!

THE M25 FLYER 22 April 2004 10:47 PM

Years back i got a producer and my MOT had expired,so i MOTed it asap and took it to the plod shop and to cut a long story short got taken to court and fined a whole £10.00 and no points ....

cong 22 April 2004 11:45 PM

i ve been caught with no mot on numerous occasions my exscuse was

"it was stolen a couple of days ago but i ve got one now!"

just go get a legit mot and when you goto the station say your car got broken into but you quickly got another one asap. if they ask why you didnt want to report it just say you didnt want to waste police time. works fine! as long as you do get one you should be let off

scoobyrob 23 April 2004 08:22 AM

no mot

i been caught for no mot b4, just got fined £90 wrote a letter just explaining that i forgot and that i was able to produce all other required docs. should be ok.