ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Driving Dynamics (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/)
-   -   Difference in driving style in a STI compared to an Evo (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/599403-difference-in-driving-style-in-a-sti-compared-to-an-evo.html)

matty_s 17 April 2007 08:07 PM

Difference in driving style in a STI compared to an Evo

Just wondering if driving style should be altered slightly with driving a scooby sti compared to the electronic gadgetery of the evo?

Cheers,
Matt

dynamix 30 June 2007 12:19 PM

yep :) - every car is different IMO

VTR Bondy 30 June 2007 05:18 PM

yeer evo's are pants ;)

Only kiddin

dynamix 30 June 2007 05:49 PM

the hawkeye has very similar electronic gadgetry to the evo but all cars handle differently, the evo is very good handling car - better than the subaru I have to say IMO.

scoobynewbie72 30 June 2007 06:04 PM

your best throwing the evo in and it sorts it out, most scoobies take some driving skill which is why I bought 1 over a Evo.

prana 02 July 2007 05:29 AM

I found it the other way around.

I found the evo a lot more willing sideways, whereas the wrx was more of a plough, you swing its weight one way, it continues to move that way, hesitant to change directions. Behaves more like a front driver than evo. I could not handle the evo on mud where the wrx simply ploguhed through so I bought the wrx instead (yes my driving skills are modest to say the least). If I was more controlled with my opposite lock, I'd had taken the evo.

pimpalicous 17 July 2007 01:17 AM

evo=yes sit back and let the evo drive u aka pants
scooby=drive it as your in control

J_sca001 20 July 2007 05:41 PM

Thats easy!

Hammer both, wait for the Scooby's engine to go pop then drive the Evo and wait for the Evo's gearbox to break :D

gillyz20let 21 July 2007 03:08 PM

all you need to do in a ayc equipped evo is steer no over/understeer or weight transfer like the scoob. just keep you foot planted until all 4 tyres start smoking and you start 4wheel drifting towards the kerb you can hit some serious cornering speeds and every thing is so focused and acurate but it does get a bit boring not being able to play with the weight of the car like the scoob.

also find the scoobs to be a bit boaty with fast direction change where as the evo would change direction as fast as you could turn the wheel.

my 05 sti with prodrive springs, adccd, whitline antiroll bars and powerstation setup still wouldnt touch my old evo6 round the twistys.

carnivorous 27 July 2007 10:04 AM

Evo's are quicker unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I always tend to trust Tim Schrick, IMO one of the best road testers on the planet at the moment and a pretty successful DTM guy. He is faster in an STI over varied terrain, but not by much.

As for driving style, it's pretty hard to put into words as it's alot about feel. IMO Evo's aren't much quicker but they FEEL alot quicker. Subarus feel quite planted and safe (unless you're braking hard - OMG - LOL), whereas I find Evos feel a bit floaty but better/pointier on direction changes. With my scoob, I can tell when it's going to break traction and at what end, and I can mess around with it a bit. In an Evo, it feels like the whole thing lets go and the gadgets are taking you round the corner - don't adjust anything just floor it and steer. At least the Evo doesn't understeer like the scoobs.

Both are amazing cars and the Evo probably has a slight edge for the average driver. I still think the scooby, even my lowly WRX PPP, feels MILES better. But then this is ScoobyNet, what did you expect?

https://www.scoobynet.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

s66sha 11 January 2008 07:59 AM

Differences

I have had the fortune of driving EVO 6 (Tommi Mak) 7/8/9 regular. I Own STI 8 PPP. All mentioned cars are fantastic. However, For driving reward then there is nothing better than getting the STI on the ragged edge and keeping it there. The Evo in standard form displays very little understeer meaning beginners and newly qualified drivers can drive fairly quickly fairly soon with predictable oversteer (Much easier to control and rectify) The scoobs has a tendency to understeer which requires more often than not driving skills or technique (Like scandinavian flick) to unsettle the car whilst you balance it using the throttle. This in turn means you find yourself entering corners a little quicker than you might feel comfortable with and committing 100% (This can and will bite you at some point) The end result fairly equal performance with completely different technique. (well it would be boring if they were both thye same, wouldnt it!):norty:

dynamix 11 January 2008 08:01 AM

In real life testing, admittedly not by me, but comparing evo to 2006 sti, the following was recorded:

Red arrows represent lift/downforce at air flow of 144km/h
Blue arrows represent lift/downforce at air flow of 200km/h
http://user.chollian.net/~sa12/evostidownforce.jpg

This shows the downforce on the car at speed compared to an evo. It demonstrates that the car is engineered to go light at the front with speed and thus create more understeer as this is acknowledged as being the safest for normal use. It also shows that the rear spoiler/roof spoiler/improved under floor panelling and diffuser on the 2006 STi are actually functional items.

STiFreak 11 January 2008 09:06 PM

Very interesting info that :thumb:

dynamix 11 January 2008 09:26 PM

With the V Ltd front lip spoiler the front downforce is increased :D

JamesVTS 13 January 2008 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by J_sca001 (Post 7124689)
Thats easy!

Hammer both, wait for the Scooby's engine to go pop then drive the Evo and wait for the Evo's gearbox to break :D

haha in my experinace, evo's rear diff/ayc system, gearbox and bottom end to all let go LoL!

I Had an evo before my wrx, was nice to drive tho a very stiff ride, handling was something else, loved going sideways and gripped well, best car driven tho you couldnt make a mistake in it as the ayc sorted it all out which got a bit boaring, now the wrx is much more of a drivers car, although it dosent go sideways as much ( prob due to the power difference) itis in the drivers control, can feel the car more and are in a lot more contol of it to the evo...

in my opinion, scoob was the best decission :norty:

magicgreg 13 January 2008 04:44 PM

Interesting info that Dynamix, nice one.

G

STiFreak 14 January 2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 7552816)
With the V Ltd front lip spoiler the front downforce is increased :D

Very true. I fitted my front lip spoiler this week and the first time I took the car out, the difference was quite noticeable even at 60mph. Keeps the nose down very well on bumpy roads ... and let's face it, looks cool too :D

magicgreg 14 January 2008 12:59 PM

If it does the business then sweet, I got mine because it really finishes the front end of a Hawkeye off.

G

dynamix 14 January 2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by magicgreg (Post 7560344)
If it does the business then sweet, I got mine because it really finishes the front end of a Hawkeye off.

G

thats why I bought mine but it does have a purpose aswell :D

magicgreg 14 January 2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 7560373)
thats why I bought mine but it does have a purpose aswell :D

Your motor looks good mate, just had a peek, like the graphics/decals.

What bhp/torque are you running at the moment?

Future mods?

G

dynamix 14 January 2008 01:21 PM

Thanks

Currently running at around 400/420.

Current plans are underway .... https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ck-2008-a.html :D

magicgreg 14 January 2008 01:26 PM

Blimey you aren't doing things by half are you!

Thats a pretty impressive spec and I imagine an impressive outlay.

I know figures are irrelevant to a certain extent but what are you hoping for after the work has been completed?

G

dynamix 14 January 2008 01:32 PM

The final figure doesnt ultimately matter to me but will be around 500 bhp/500 lb/ft (on pump fuel) depending on how we decide to map it, what fuel I use and what rev limit I stick on it. But it will be over 400 lb/ft from 3k to redline - which is fairly nice :D

Not bad for a shopping car :lol1:

rickya 27 February 2008 12:22 AM

Interesting topic :)
Pretty much what I suspected, & why Im not getting an evo!

rosswalker 28 February 2008 03:10 PM

I have never read so much bollox in all my life *shakes head*

Duncan is the only one with some sensible input.

dynamix 28 February 2008 03:26 PM

Cheers Ross

Originally Posted by gillyz20let (Post 7126779)
all you need to do in a ayc equipped evo is steer no over/understeer or weight transfer like the scoob.

Just spotted this gemlet.

How exactly does the EVO get around weight transfer with an AYC?