ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   anti-lag system (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/661241-anti-lag-system.html)

subaruturbo_18 19 January 2008 01:37 PM

anti-lag system

where can i obtain an anti-lag system, and how much would they be. would they even be worth it?

Bern 19 January 2008 01:44 PM

Worth it for the noise, performance etc but not if you can't afford a new turbo every now and then. :p

ZEN Performance 19 January 2008 02:12 PM

are you rallying the car? If not forget it for the gains, if you want the noise and flames then it can be done, typically with an aftermarket ECU which supports ALS such as a Motec, Autronic, GEMS, Simtek, Link and so on.

JamesVTS 19 January 2008 02:29 PM

for the noise and acceleration yes :D tho wrecks turbos depending on how often use it

scoobytyson 19 January 2008 03:19 PM

Would ALS be any benefit on the 1/4 mile?

pnbond007 19 January 2008 03:37 PM

Yes it would indeed......

Plus I want it on my RA too, just for the crack.....and not to be used around Mcdonalds etc....

Any idea's of prices guy's...

scoobytyson 19 January 2008 03:41 PM

Like Paul says you need an ecu to support it which are around £1500 fitted

ZEN Performance 19 January 2008 03:44 PM

ALS is unlikely to be any benefit on the 1/4 mile, if it is, you're changing gear too slow! Better for 1/4 mile is full throttle shift, which can be triggered by clutch or ignorance, and can provide no loss of boost between gears.

mark28 19 January 2008 04:16 PM

as said above an als system is only any good for a real rally car NOT a road car.

if you just want the pops and bangs then go for it! we did and we did it with a motec system which was supplyed and fitted by zen performance.

ex-webby 19 January 2008 04:48 PM

As already stated various options are available. One of those is the HYDRA EMS. Again as already been stated, whilst I asked about the use of this, both PowerStation and Tracktive said it is useless unless you are rallying. Since I am a big kid it has been activated by Tracktive on my HYDRA though. :D As also stated, things like flat shifting is more beneficial along with launch control (for 1/4m and track use).

subaruturbo_18 19 January 2008 04:54 PM

well i will be starting my motorsport engineering course late this year/next year so fitting wont be a problem :norty: :thumb: i was just curious of prices and whether some people thought it was worth it. i was really just attracted by the noice and the flames TBH though!

ZEN Performance 19 January 2008 05:03 PM

fitting? An anti lag system is not a device, and a motorsport engineering course isn't going to give you the knowledge you need to properly map an ecu for it. Do a search and find out what you can about what ALS actually is, or can be, or sometimes isn't, and what you need to get it on a car.

Anders_WR1 19 January 2008 05:07 PM

If it's pops and bangs you want, then your mapper may be able to create an ALS effect using ignition retard (or something like that). I don't know if it can be done on your ECU - I know it can be done on a newage ECU.

Anders

T5OLF 19 January 2008 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by pnbond007 (Post 7577620)
Yes it would indeed......

Plus I want it on my RA too, just for the crack.....and not to be used around Mcdonalds etc....

Any idea's of prices guy's...

£1100 should just about cover it. Believe me it's loud :)

Leg@cy 19 January 2008 09:06 PM

as above...

I had it activated on simtec..... great at first... pops and bangs....at the touch of a button..

only had it on a hand full of times..... it does where off.... but still nice to say you have it though !!! :norty:

.........and it will bang at the touch of a button ;)

osborne 19 January 2008 09:49 PM

Hydra Ecu's are worth looking at. Give Innovate Performance a call and speak to James about it. He's very good.

He's currently putting an ecu on my mates 320 bhp (at the wheels) mk3 astra gsi. Hoping to take it to 400bhp. About 470 if the nos is used!

He's going to have launch control and anti lag on it.

Give the company name a search on google to get the details.

pnbond007 20 January 2008 10:59 AM

So fitting an ALS does the risk factor sit around turbo failure or are there other area's of risk to consider.

I should imagine it gives your exhaust system a fair workout, though with a complete and decent system fitted should damage be minimal, if non what so ever...

pnbond007 21 January 2008 08:45 AM

any info guy's...

T5OLF 21 January 2008 10:04 AM

If you only run a mild AL map and don't use it to often it will be fine. The exhaust does run hot in a short space of time, 5 mins and it's very hot but soon cools once you have switched it off. I made my own exhaust system and it seems to be holding up ok. There is some baffle rattle that was not there before the AL was fitted so I may just nip the back box in a vise to fix that. I'm sure it will be fine on your car......it never does enough miles to damage anything :) bit like mine really.

pnbond007 21 January 2008 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 7582445)
I'm sure it will be fine on your car......it never does enough miles to damage anything :) bit like mine really.

What you tryin to say, I don't use it enough.......tell me about it....400 miles in 19 months....I've gotta get it out there and play...

Appreciate your info, I've gotta have this fitted....cause i'm a 47yr old big kid...and the next time someone passes by laughing at my mudflaps I'll flame em..lol

And yes, my mudflaps are due for an update....so watch this space

Tidgy 21 January 2008 11:25 AM

other thing not mentioned is it can fry your exhaust valves as well

T5OLF 21 January 2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by pnbond007 (Post 7582542)
What you tryin to say, I don't use it enough.......tell me about it....400 miles in 19 months....I've gotta get it out there and play...

Appreciate your info, I've gotta have this fitted....cause i'm a 47yr old big kid...and the next time someone passes by laughing at my mudflaps I'll flame em..lol

And yes, my mudflaps are due for an update....so watch this space

Get some nice black mud flaps. The wife always laughed at my red ones, said they looked like carpet tiles :) The black ones look a lot better IMO.

GazTheHat 21 January 2008 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1 (Post 7577881)
If it's pops and bangs you want, then your mapper may be able to create an ALS effect using ignition retard (or something like that). I don't know if it can be done on your ECU - I know it can be done on a newage ECU.

Anders

I had this done for many months. It's even more extreme than ALS i reckon, noise-wise/frequency.

So if it's just the flames (check my scooby <---) and noise you're after check if it can be mapped in.

Easy enough to remove too.

(* Just wish it was switchable!!!!!!)

subaruturbo_18 21 January 2008 02:24 PM

am i right in guessing that if i set up an ALS i would need to put my decat back on? im guessing it may do damage to it if it can do other damage to an exhaust? i could be completely wrong i just don't know much about ALS

T5OLF 21 January 2008 03:07 PM

I think it would burn the cat out due to the heat. You don't want cats anyway.

filfy 21 January 2008 05:10 PM

ALS is the muts nuts:norty: I have a gemms with Anti-Lag on my RA and i love it:luvlove: It does'nt kill your turbo if only used in short blasts,I do not run mine for more than a couple of minutes a time,but in those few minutes its a right laugh:lol1: you see cars in you mirrow change lane as they feel the blast of the pops n bangs and then the flame comes and they can only think your cars about to blow up:D So if its that what your after then get one,you can get the cheeper option of having a map done that can give you some pops n bangs on your ecu (i had it done on my old uk classic) but trust me its not even in the same leauge as a propper ALS:thumb:

Now useing it for track use i didnt notice any diffrance to my 1/4 mile times with the ALS on or off.im now starting hillclimbing this year and now this will benefit the use of Anti-Lag.

subaruturbo_18 21 January 2008 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 7583281)
I think it would burn the cat out due to the heat. You don't want cats anyway.

i know i have just had my mot though and am finding the time to fit it back on :D

pnbond007 21 January 2008 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by filfy (Post 7583645)
ALS is the muts nuts:norty: I have a gemms with Anti-Lag on my RA and i love it:luvlove: It does'nt kill your turbo if only used in short blasts,I do not run mine for more than a couple of minutes a time,but in those few minutes its a right laugh:lol1: you see cars in you mirrow change lane as they feel the blast of the pops n bangs and then the flame comes and they can only think your cars about to blow up:D So if its that what your after then get one,you can get the cheeper option of having a map done that can give you some pops n bangs on your ecu (i had it done on my old uk classic) but trust me its not even in the same leauge as a propper ALS:thumb:

Now useing it for track use i didnt notice any diffrance to my 1/4 mile times with the ALS on or off.im now starting hillclimbing this year and now this will benefit the use of Anti-Lag.

Fantastic comment regarding folk following you with ALS armed....how funny is that.

I will either go for Motec or Gem's....not gonna mess with my ECU, plus I want it switchable

10/10 filfy

tiny gsy 21 January 2008 06:36 PM

The simtek supports switchable maps as well as anti lag and launch control if you want it, I had mine fittted and mapped by Martyn at Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner :) It is good for a laugh and for scaring kids on scooters that try to sit on your back bumper.

Got a bit of a soundclip of mine with the als switched on:

Video of scoob - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

T5OLF 21 January 2008 09:25 PM

And another, Simtek this time:

YouTube - Subaru impreza type RA antilag