ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   decat problems??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/753689-decat-problems.html)

sexylucyloo 17 March 2009 06:55 PM

decat problems???

ive had a second decat put on today (the middle section on a 97 2.0 sport) and it sounds awful, far to much baffle?? the 1st cat was taken off before i had the car so i dont no what diffrance that made to compare it to??
so is this a common problem or simply a faulty decat???

many thanks.

uk300scoob 17 March 2009 07:42 PM

describe the noise it makes? shouldnt sound awful and its a better free flowing exhaust with no cats in it better power gains and it sounds like its a faulty decat if you say it sounds awful either that or your too fussy

sexylucyloo 17 March 2009 08:38 PM

lol its not a blowing sound like its got a leak, its more like a old motor bike, its started poping when im slowing down which i quite like but when i put my foot down its sounding very ruff, when it only had one de cat it sounded very smooth although it was still agressive sounding? im sorry, i cant think what to compare it to, its a shame i cant record it?

sexylucyloo 17 March 2009 08:41 PM

its not a de cat like you could buy off ebay, i had a pipe fitted to replace it by a powerflow dealer? so its been welded on rather than fitted with spring loaded joints/ fittings? dont no if that would make a diffrance?

uk300scoob 18 March 2009 12:15 AM

i think its maybe you are not used to so much noise try get a video clip sometime

maydew 18 March 2009 12:32 AM

has it made it sound very tinny/rough sounding ,the girlfriends sport sounded like this with the afterburner bk box fitted on her sport ,it sounded even worse when it was cold .i fitted a ninja back box and made the sound deeper,i have always found stainless has a tinny noise any how.do you have the unequal length headers on too

sexylucyloo 18 March 2009 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by uk300scoob (Post 8583954)
i think its maybe you are not used to so much noise try get a video clip sometime

okey doke, il tru do it tomorrow, it just dosnt sould healthy to me, if another car drove past me soundin like that i would cringe!

sexylucyloo 18 March 2009 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 8583992)
has it made it sound very tinny/rough sounding ,the girlfriends sport sounded like this with the afterburner bk box fitted on her sport ,it sounded even worse when it was cold .i fitted a ninja back box and made the sound deeper,i have always found stainless has a tinny noise any how.do you have the unequal length headers on too

yes it has made it sound quite tinny, il try get a vidieo clip of it 2morow because i cant realy explain how it sounds? almost like its popping but the repatition of pops is alot more frequent and the horrid sound only crops up when i accselerate? its started popping (normaly) when i slow down which dosnt bother me, and yes it has got unequal headers which gives it a unique sound but this dosnt sound like any scooby ive seen! :confused:

maydew 18 March 2009 02:40 AM

have you bolted a turbo system onto the sport system as these are 2 different sizes ,also check the headers where they bolt onto the head as the threads on the sports a very weak and they might have disturbed it so its blowing a little,

my advice is put the cat bk on,get a custom centre section made up so it mounts onto a turbo 2 1/2" back box and go for a scoobyworld racebox or ninja and you will get the sound you are after it may help to wrap the headers too ,you just need to dampen the sound a little

sexylucyloo 18 March 2009 11:41 AM

its not got a turbo on it? and the decat was costom made at a powerflow dealers? i was told that if a put a turbo on it that i would have problems with the head gasket as the engin isnt designed or tuned for that sort of bhp?