ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Police Producers.. Why? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/760293-police-producers-why.html)

davegtt 17 April 2009 02:47 PM

Police Producers.. Why?

So the misses got stopped last night and theyve gave her a producer, can I ask why? I reckon theyre just being ar$eholes because they saw her driving licence on the evening, the computers they have now should be able to tell them if its insured and who owns the car and she had a valid tax disc on display :confused:

r32 17 April 2009 02:49 PM

Why? Because they can ........ But did your wife ask them why she was stopped?

davegtt 17 April 2009 02:51 PM

I know why she was stopped, its irrelevant to the question ;)

Oh and, she might have been stupid enough to be stopped but Im not stupid, shes not my wife ;)

r32 17 April 2009 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8646847)
I know why she was stopped, its irrelevant to the question ;)

Oh and, she might have been stupid enough to be stopped but Im not stupid, shes not my wife ;)

Sorry I took missus to mean wife.....
Sometimes they issue a producer just to piss the driver off, as a bit of a punishment.

Timwinner 17 April 2009 02:55 PM

It is an offense to fail to produce a driving license and certificate of insurance upon request by an officer.
You are issued producers as a grace period as its not practical for everyone to carry there papers all the time.
It might be a pain when it happens if your all above board but not everyone is above board.
Producers are slowly vanishing but at the moment its a necessary evil in order to help police the roads. Hope that helps ;)

Hanley 17 April 2009 02:57 PM

But if you have your driving licence with you, they can check right on the spot if you have tax and insurance so why issue a producer in this case?

fatherpierre 17 April 2009 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hanley (Post 8646863)
But if you have your driving licence with you, they can check right on the spot if you have tax and insurance so why issue a producer in this case?

Yes, they can.

But they can still make you produce.... Seems pointles, I agree.

davegtt 17 April 2009 03:01 PM

That was my point, she produced her license, nothing more though. Just didnt make any sense and thought they were just being an ar$e.

ALi-B 17 April 2009 03:02 PM

I had one because I had no ID on me that gave proof as to my identity.

Car was taxed/insured, and the name (mine) I gave them came up clear. But silly me left my wallet at home, and all I had was my mobile, add that I happened to be wearing an old Corperate fleece advertising my mate's business (which unfortunately for me was named after himself).

So I had a wee bit of difficulty getting them to belive I was who they said I was :o

PITA though - I didn't even get any form of reciept at the police station :mad: I had to ask to write me one as I didn't trust them.

fatherpierre 17 April 2009 03:04 PM

I guees it's the fact that it's a offence not to produce at the roadside as specified in the RTA means they still do it.

Probably to p1ss her off. Maybe;)

Leslie 17 April 2009 03:53 PM

Is it an offence then? Did not realise that. I assumed that if it was on the computer all I needed was my driving licenec with me.

Les

fatherpierre 17 April 2009 05:09 PM

Yes, but there's the provision of the HORT1 producer to allow for 99.99% of people who don't carry all their documents with them when driving.

Mark1983 17 April 2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8646962)
Is it an offence then? Did not realise that. I assumed that if it was on the computer all I needed was my driving licenec with me.

Les

It's also an offence in most of Western Europe hence you are required to carry both parts of your licence, insurance certificate, MOT certificate if applicable and in some countries your V5.

Last time I was given a producer they threatened to prosecute me for driving without a licence as I only had my card part after I misplaced my paper counterpart. I now carry all my documents in the car.

I agree it's inconvenient having to produce documents when they have the ability to check the PNC, DVLA etc. but they have the power to do it and I have the necessary documents.

Bonehead 17 April 2009 06:02 PM

Sometimes PNC might not hold the full details.
Or the officer might be getting hassle off of his/her line manager for process
Or your missus did/said something that irked the Plod

cster 17 April 2009 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mark1983 (Post 8647127)
It's also an offence in most of Western Europe hence you are required to carry both parts of your licence, insurance certificate, MOT certificate if applicable and in some countries your V5.

Last time I was given a producer they threatened to prosecute me for driving without a licence as I only had my card part after I misplaced my paper counterpart. I now carry all my documents in the car.

I agree it's inconvenient having to produce documents when they have the ability to check the PNC, DVLA etc. but they have the power to do it and I have the necessary documents.

But surely it will be a lot more inconvenient if someone breaks into or steals your car?

Mark1983 17 April 2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 8647616)
But surely it will be a lot more inconvenient if someone breaks into or steals your car?

Getting a replacement insurance certificate is the least of my worries if my car gets stolen/broken into. Having lived in Germany and travelling across France/Belgium a lot I was stopped regularly so became a formally producing documents at the roadside.

pimmo2000 17 April 2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8646838)
? I reckon theyre just being ar$eholes because they saw her driving licence on the evening

:cuckoo: I dont understand that sentence ?

Boro 17 April 2009 10:01 PM

Get this... my g/f got a producer while I WAS PARKED IN A CARPARK lol. She was out of the car talking to some friends when the police arrived, asked whos car it was (registered in her name), she said hers and he issued her with a producer. License, mot and insurance.

1. She was even in the drivers seat
2. It was even being driven
3. She' already shown him a valid insurance certificate but he made her produce that too

I complained while producing and the copper behind the desk couldnt believe it and asked if i wanted to make a formal complaint. Turned out the dumb cop was a special and didnt really know what he was doing.

Moral of the story is expect the cops to make life as hard as possible for you, afterall they were all bullied at school and this makes them feel more of a man.

Stainy 17 April 2009 10:23 PM

Moral of the story - The special made a mistake - get over it and get a doctor to remove that nasty shoulder chip of yours :Whatever_

fatherpierre 17 April 2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 8647868)
Get this... my g/f got a producer while I WAS PARKED IN A CARPARK lol. She was out of the car talking to some friends when the police arrived, asked whos car it was (registered in her name), she said hers and he issued her with a producer. License, mot and insurance.

1. She was even in the drivers seat
2. It was even being driven
3. She' already shown him a valid insurance certificate but he made her produce that too

I complained while producing and the copper behind the desk couldnt believe it and asked if i wanted to make a formal complaint. Turned out the dumb cop was a special and didnt really know what he was doing.

Moral of the story is expect the cops to make life as hard as possible for you, afterall they were all bullied at school and this makes them feel more of a man.

I was never bullied.

I love that accusation that makes the bullied feel better:lol1:

skid11 17 April 2009 10:30 PM

Or get your girlfriend to do it

phil_wrx 17 April 2009 10:40 PM

isnt the answer the same as

why do dogs lick there balls............. because they can :D

skid11 17 April 2009 10:42 PM

same as:lol:

Leslie 18 April 2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mark1983 (Post 8647127)

Thanks for the info', did not realise all that. Never liked to carry them in case they got lost.

Les

pimmo2000 18 April 2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 8647980)
I was never bullied.

I love that accusation that makes the bullied feel better:lol1:

but surely you're not one of the petty minded idiots ??

Or at least I would assume you're not.

fatherpierre 18 April 2009 01:17 PM

One tries not to be;)

It's only a job at the end of the day. Pays the mortgage etc.

pimmo2000 18 April 2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 8648889)
One tries not to be;)

It's only a job at the end of the day. Pays the mortgage etc.

IMO this would sum up 90% of Police.. as with everything, the other 10% are the ones that get noticed.

SteveScooby 18 April 2009 02:47 PM

BBC NEWS | England | London | Officer dies after robbery chase

Nothing to do with ths thread, but i wonder how much national press coverage and column inches this story will get compared to a protester being given a back hander and a baton strike

billythekid 18 April 2009 11:34 PM

Well at post #1, what boxes are ticked on the HOTR/1 for production?

5 & 6 or 1,5 & 6?