ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   EJ205 AND EJ20 DIFFERENCES? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/765048-ej205-and-ej20-differences.html)

ScoobyNudge 10 May 2009 06:30 PM

EJ205 AND EJ20 DIFFERENCES?

As above really!

Im need to know the differences between them as the info on my car says I should have a EJ205 engine although it says Ej20 on th block case

is this an engine swap or is this perfectly ok?

My car is a 1999 t plate turbo 2000 MY00

AndyC_772 10 May 2009 06:44 PM

I'm pretty sure they all just say EJ20 on them

STI_Baly 10 May 2009 07:58 PM

What Car have you got?

The EJ205 was standard block for a WRX
EJ207 was the block used in a STI

They all have EJ20 written on them it's mainly the pistons and rods that vary on these i believe. I cannot recall if the EJ205 block was semi closed or not, i'm guessing it was a Open deckl block, where as the EJ207 is semiclosed for sure.

Hope this helps...

joz8968 10 May 2009 08:22 PM

Yeah, you have the correct EJ205 motor for your car.

As said, the EJ207 is the MY99/00 STi block... the EJ205 is for all other MY99/00 non-STi applications.

See Pat Herborn's - mapper extraordinaire - more comprehensive explanation of the Classic engines' coding:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-question.html

ScoobyNudge 11 May 2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8694709)
Yeah, you have the correct EJ205 motor for your car.

As said, the EJ207 is the MY99/00 STi block... the EJ205 is for all other MY99/00 non-STi applications.

See Pat Herborn's - mapper extraordinaire - more comprehensive explanation of the Classic engines' coding:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-question.html

yea cheers guys!

thing I was worried about was under the inlet manifold it said EJ20 but on th plates and paperwork it was a EJ205 so I was wondering if it had an engine swap!

Thanks guys for putting my mind to rest its not easy when you have never experienced a scooby before its all a bit different from BMW's like what Im used too

cheers u legends and joz can always rely on you mate for a great explanation!

joz8968 11 May 2009 10:01 PM

As said, all 2.0 litre engines are EJ20 (the '20' for 2.0 litre)... then the rest of the code letters/numbers is code for MY, variant, etc, etc....

Check the driver's side black cam cover - it might still have the white sticky label intact. If you have the original cam cover, the label should have the correct full engine code printed on it, "EJ205.. blah...blah...".

I think the VIN plate on the passenger front turret has the full engine code too...

SCOOBY2104 14 February 2012 08:03 PM

i have a 2002 wrx which on vin.plate says it is a ej205 engine is this different from the ej20 and if so what difference as my engine has blown and i need a replacement

johnlogie 14 February 2012 10:19 PM

Is there a code stamped on the block? apart from just EJ20, basically can you tell its an STi bottom end without stripping it?

joz8968 15 February 2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SCOOBY2104 (Post 10487897)
i have a 2002 wrx which on vin.plate says it is a ej205 engine is this different from the ej20 and if so what difference as my engine has blown and i need a replacement

The EJ205 is the non-STi engine from MY99>on, so presumably it's the same engine carried forward to the Bugeye WRX.

If it's the bottom end that's gone, then a replacement from a Hawkeye STi is a good, relatively cost effective, fix/upgrade, as it has stronger rods than the preceding years. Or you can fit Hawk STi rods and any New Age STi pistons into your existing block if it's salvagable. You'll also invariably need a new crank if a big end is shagged (regringing a Subaru crank is considered a no-no by most of the big guns on here).

Obviously if you do go "mixed and matched", then the CR has to be carefully worked out, so at to choose the correct thickness HGs. Also, as a matter of course, use STi-spec MLS HGs (or Cosworth, Cometic, etc.)

scoobyman2104 15 February 2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SCOOBY2104 (Post 10487897)

the engine code is EJ205NW4BB

scoobyman2104 15 February 2012 03:45 PM

ENGINE

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE IS SELLING A EJ205NW4BB ENGINE AS MINE KNACKERED AND I NEED A REPLACEMENT

DemianLara 16 November 2012 04:53 PM

Hello everyone, I was looking for some info about the EJ20's and on the web I couldnt find the info I need, so I'm coming to see if anyone could help me out,

The thing is,

My Subaru Impreza, is a 2liter N/A 2011, EJ20 naturally aspirated ( automatic ), and I'd like to improve it's performance by a bit, acceleration and retake acceleration, I know that the engine can handle over 250 perhaps over 300HP, but I'm quite confortable with about 200-230HP, would be more agile than my mom's 3.0R Legacy so that would be enough for me,

But the problem is that are many ppl who says they can "do" a turbo kit for it, and I dislike the idea of doing something without engineering put on it, and as for the Subaru WRX or STi when using EJ20's I figger Subaru used alot of engineering to produce/fabricate that, so I'd like to use and standart kit for a WRX to mount on my EJ20,

The problem so far is that I can't find someone who knows about them, to check if is just switch the original parts and install the WRX kit, and work the ECU, or if there's any other difference I need to work on and make a different part or buy a model part for that switch,

The ECU I figger I need to use the same one because of the gearbox, maybe switch with a new WRX aut ECU's, but I'm thinking about using a Fueltech ECU, that would allow me to use several maps and perhaps chance a bit the performance while using the car and not requiring me to get to the garage to make such change,

But the WRX kit, and by that I mean the exhaust from the block to the turbine, the turbine, the intake to the compressor and from that to the intercooler, the admission from the intercooler to the block, and all peripherics required, is what is making me trouble sleeping about it, I'd try to the maximun to use original parts, for not look like tuning, I like the stealth mode of the original, and well, it is already a pretty over power look, at least here in Brazil,

So if anyone could answer me that, I'd be very much pleased,

Thank you for your time, and sorry about any mispells on my english xD

Demian Lara

DemianLara 16 November 2012 05:01 PM

One thing I forgot to say/ask is about the diff over the EJ20 and the EJ25, some guy told me the exhaust pipes from the block to the turbine are pretty much the same from a EJ20 and a EJ25, so, would it be possible in case the changes are internal to the block, no idea if they are or not, to fit a EJ25 turbo kit from w WRX to the EJ20 of my car,

Just ask because is really easier to find an EJ25 from a wrx here than from a EJ20 wrx, they are coming to Brazil only at EJ25's from 2008 and up, and to get an WRX EJ20 kit I'd need an import or used/old one, and if need to go for an used I'd go for a newer one if possible,

Thanks

Demian Lara

Jamie46 20 May 2020 12:55 PM

Difference between ej205nwzke and ej205nxwbb

Hey guys I’ve got a 98 forester gt had a blown ej205nwzke swapped engine for a ej205nxwbb have swapped manifold due to loom short and egr..changed over boost control solinoid end plug on engine loom....swapped crank gear and sensor and cam sensor car will crank over but not start fuel pump works seems to have spark at coil pack also I swapped the individual coils to an single as that suited my loom do I need to also swap the cam gear where the sensor plugs in ??any help to what I have missed thanks

Don Clark 20 May 2020 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie46 (Post 12081250)
Hey guys I’ve got a 98 forester gt had a blown ej205nwzke swapped engine for a ej205nxwbb have swapped manifold due to loom short and egr..changed over boost control solinoid end plug on engine loom....swapped crank gear and sensor and cam sensor car will crank over but not start fuel pump works seems to have spark at coil pack also I swapped the individual coils to an single as that suited my loom do I need to also swap the cam gear where the sensor plugs in ??any help to what I have missed thanks

Your EJ205NXWBB engine comes from a MY01 Automatic model, which as you have found out has individual coil packs as against the single inlet manifold mounted coil pack version of the earlier models.
Crank and cam sensors are the same for both model years,
Knock sensor is different.
Why would you need to change over boost solenoid plug?? as you would be retaining the old setup.
All you should really need to do is use just the "new" long engine block with all the original ancilliaries including engine loom, inlet manifold, turbo etc.

Jamie46 21 May 2020 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12081270)
Your EJ205NXWBB engine comes from a MY01 Automatic model, which as you have found out has individual coil packs as against the single inlet manifold mounted coil pack version of the earlier models.
Crank and cam sensors are the same for both model years,
Knock sensor is different.
Why would you need to change over boost solenoid plug?? as you would be retaining the old setup.
All you should really need to do is use just the "new" long engine block with all the original ancilliaries including engine loom, inlet manifold, turbo etc.

thanks for the information mate I was told to change the end plug on the manifold loom as it was the only one that didn’t plug straight in..the crank gear has different sensor points (teeth) on the back so thought maybe that was throwing out my timing??would the difference in knock sensor stop my car from starting?thanks again any information is greatly appreciated

stockcar 21 May 2020 08:47 AM

a new-age crank gear will NOT work with an older style ECU...........

you can basically use the new style engine BUT swap your full inlet manifold, ancills, etc. over and ensure you are using the early style crank trigger

Don Clark 21 May 2020 09:17 AM

Yes the crankshaft sprocket changed for the 01 so changing it a good idea.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d211ebf73a.jpg
But so did a lot of other things. including the ECU
Knock sensor - probably a different impedance.as it changed when the new ECU's arrived.

Still not sure which engine loom you are using the old or the new??? If you were using the old there would be no need to change plugs.
What does this actually mean "have swapped manifold due to loom short and egr." ??
and in reply to my question "Why would you need to change over boost solenoid plug? you reply "I was told to change the end plug on the manifold loom" when the boost solenoid plug is part of the bulkhead loom not the engine loom??

The 98 engine didn't have Tumble generator valves, so using the new loom you would have extra wiring thats not needed also wiring for the individual coil packs.

Jamie46 21 May 2020 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12081331)
Yes the crankshaft sprocket changed for the 01 so changing it a good idea.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d211ebf73a.jpg
But so did a lot of other things. including the ECU
Knock sensor - probably a different impedance.as it changed when the new ECU's arrived.

Still not sure which engine loom you are using the old or the new??? If you were using the old there would be no need to change plugs.
What does this actually mean "have swapped manifold due to loom short and egr." ??
and in reply to my question "Why would you need to change over boost solenoid plug? you reply "I was told to change the end plug on the manifold loom" when the boost solenoid plug is part of the bulkhead loom not the engine loom??

The 98 engine didn't have Tumble generator valves, so using the new loom you would have extra wiring thats not needed also wiring for the individual coil packs.

car is running just had to swap cam gear just idling high think it’s a vaccum leak thanks for the help