ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Does anybody know which phone shops will buy out my contract? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/767462-does-anybody-know-which-phone-shops-will-buy-out-my-contract.html)

subaruturbo_18 21 May 2009 08:05 PM

Does anybody know which phone shops will buy out my contract?

I have about 8 months left on my contract, and i know that carphone ware house used to buy people out of there contracts if they moved to a contract with them, but does anybody know if they still do this? or if not them, then somebody else?

It may sound crazy to some people but retailers like carphone can get paid up to 500 in commision for connecting a new handset. i wouldnt mind taking out insurance also, and possibly a sole trader business account so i would be seen as a 'high valued' customer (not that big companies value any of their customers these days :lol1:)

scoobyvirgin 21 May 2009 08:25 PM

Pass on that, but I do know someone that buys neon washer jets if that is any help?!?

mj 21 May 2009 08:32 PM

Just out of interest, what would one do with a 2nd user, neon washer jet?

mj 21 May 2009 08:34 PM

I wasn't calling you a neon washer jet then, or enquiring what you would do with a 2nd user, by the way. Bad grammar on my part.

mj 21 May 2009 08:35 PM

Soz, by the way, I did it again. :(

Ray_li 21 May 2009 08:51 PM

500 pound commision but they also have to deduct the value of the handset from that so you get a free phone

stevebt 21 May 2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 8717925)

It may sound crazy to some people but retailers like carphone can get paid up to 500 in commision for connecting a new handset.)

I hope that is pence ??? as most quality phones are near £500 so once you add minutes etc I'm sure £35 a month is bare minimum????

I'm sure thats why contracts are 18months and others 24months as the phones are getting that expensive ???

TonyBurns 21 May 2009 08:55 PM

First time ive heard of that! and its not exactly legal to buy someone elses contract as its binding between that person and that company, and it can only be broken by that person or that company.
If you have 8 months left then you will either have to forfeit your contract and pay the penalty or wait until the 8 months is up before going to a different company for your phone :)

Tony:)

TonyBurns 21 May 2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 8718043)
I hope that is pence ??? as most quality phones are near £500 so once you add minutes etc I'm sure £35 a month is bare minimum????

I'm sure thats why contracts are 18months and others 24months as the phones are getting that expensive ???

Pretty much :) its basically a way around giving you a phone every 12 months foc, so now they change the contracts for a couple of reasons, 1 being that they dont make that much on the handsets anyway and 2, it keeps customers for longer (as a vast majority of people like their phone provider and stick with them for years :D)

subaruturbo_18 21 May 2009 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8718050)
First time ive heard of that! and its not exactly legal to buy someone elses contract as its binding between that person and that company, and it can only be broken by that person or that company.
If you have 8 months left then you will either have to forfeit your contract and pay the penalty or wait until the 8 months is up before going to a different company for your phone :)

yeah that is true, but you phone up in store verify security etcetc then they can take over and pay it. i know it has definately been done before, and it definately was in carphone ware house as a mate told me, but im not too sure if they still do it..(don't want to look cheap going in there :D)

what would scooby do 21 May 2009 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8718050)

It is called novation or assignment in contract law

simples :D

zip106 22 May 2009 12:25 AM

I've just done it today!
Went into CPW, showed them my completely knackerd Nokia.
I've got 5 months left of my contract with O2/CPW.

To buy out my contract would have cost me £141.03, CPW gave me £100, a brand new Samsung Tocco Lite touch screen on a £30 pm contract with 700 mins and 700 texts a month with T-Mobile.

So it actually cost me £41.03.

It'll do me :)

Boro 22 May 2009 12:52 AM

They dont actually buy your contract, as zip said, they work out exactly how much you would pay until the end of the contact, for eg, 8 months x £35 per month = £280 and give you it as cashback.

It is then up to you whether you pay off your contract in full, or leave it run and pay the £35 a month until the end.

£400-£500 commission is not uncommon for high end tariffs and if you only wanted a cheap handset you could get a big cashback amount. Different shops will want to make different profits, its all about how much you can get from the assistant on the day.

Some places offer instant cashback, others you have to claim over a period of time.

Hope that helps.

subaruturbo_18 22 May 2009 11:00 AM

last two comments are great help, :D

Boro 22 May 2009 02:35 PM

Have a look here from some of the best cashback deals.

All these mobiles come with Guaranteed Cashback, from £10 to over £220!

With Automatic Cashback you are 100% guaranteed to get your money. There are no claims to make and no vouchers to send back. We pay your money directly in to your bank account. It couldn't be easier.
Click the Cashback deals link on the righthand side >>> Intek Mobile Phones - The best mobile deals

Hanley 22 May 2009 02:39 PM

I've got 4 months left on my Vodafone contract at £25 per month.

I'm going to pay a visit to Carphone Warehouse this weekend as I want to get an I-Phone, I'm going to ask if there's anything they can do about the remaining 4 months of my contract e.g. cashback deal.

Hopefully as myself and my wife will be getting one they may be interested.

:)

SCOsazOBY 22 May 2009 04:57 PM

Phones for you buy out contracts, my friend works for them and she said if you go in an afternoon and find a female assistant, do a bit of flirting and you will get a good deal (plus if she is fit she knows your new number) Its somethiing to do with daily targets and so if they have had a good retail day then they can give you a better offer ;)