ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   impreza versions! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/828352-impreza-versions.html)

wwp8 18 April 2010 09:26 PM

impreza versions!

can anyone educate me?
i got a bugeye which i think it is the version 7 ?
so am i correct in saying that the blobeye is v8, and the hawk would be v9 and the hatch is version 10?

i'm asking cos when i look in pistonheads, they say that the hawkeye is version 10's in some adverts.
and i'm confused

dunx 19 April 2010 07:50 AM

The Versions stopped with V6 to be completely accurate...

But I describe mine as a V7 'cos it's logical, the problem is that there are two spec's for the blob-eye....

Hence the confusion.

IMHO

dunx

The Trooper 1815 19 April 2010 09:01 AM

V1 to 6 are Jap Imports.
UK Turbo is just that all in the classic shape.

Newage cars started in 2000/2001. Bugeye has round headlights and lasted 3 yrs, Blobeye from late 2003 - and then Hawkeye.

We then have the Hatchback.

Splitpin 19 April 2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by wwp8 (Post 9352594)
can anyone educate me?

You don't need educating. It's the people who use this version number thing on a bugeye or newer who could do with some of that! :D

No, you've got a bugeye which will be a 2001 or 2002 model year (fourth character in the applied model code = A or B) car.

As Dunx says, Subaru officially/publicly stopped using the version number (which originally arose from rally homologation) after the classic was phased out. The only correct/inconfusible way to refer to a non-classic is by its model year, because, as you've found, nobody seems to understand the system or refer to the different cars properly.

so am i correct in saying that the blobeye is v8, and the hawk would be v9 and the hatch is version 10?
As above, there's no such thing as versions 7/8/etc officially, and the reason why it's so confusing is that different people use different versions of this system, so it really does make no sense. Some, as you say, regard blobeye as "8" and hawkeye as "9". Others regard the 2003-2004 MY blobeyes as "8", the 2005MY wide track blob as "9", hawk as 10, so on. It becomes completely meaningless when different people have different ways of describing the same car!

i'm asking cos when i look in pistonheads, they say that the hawkeye is version 10's in some adverts. and i'm confused
Easy to see why you're confused, but as soon as you understand that *all* this version number thing is bullsh*t on a non-classic (and also bullsh*t on a non-STi classic), you'll find it a lot easier to deal with. In truth it's not you that's confused, it's prat who described the car you're looking at as a "version 10". They might as well have described it as a version 134.6251 for all the difference it makes.

If there is a "correct" version numbering system, it would follow the logic established by STi and Prodrive for the original classic Impreza rally homologation, and continued right to the present day. That increments the version number every model year. So the 2001MY is 7, 2003MY (first blobeye) is 9, first Hawkeye (2006MY) is 12, first hatch (2008MY) is 14. This year's Group N car is called the N16.

However, even though that system is technically the only correct and logical one, as you've already found out, nobody outside rally teams actually use it. As such, if you don't want to get confused, just stick to model years - it's the only way to work out exactly what you're buying/looking at without relying on someone else's misinterpretation of a non-existent "system" ;).

wwp8 19 April 2010 11:55 PM

so the numbering doesn't really apply to newage cars then?
DOH!

Splitpin 20 April 2010 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by wwp8 (Post 9354676)
so the numbering doesn't really apply to newage cars then?
DOH!

Correctamundo. All this largely proves is the ability of the clueless to copy something they saw written on a web forum without thinking about it.

If you want to have a laugh why don't you email the seller of the car you're looking at and ask why it's a "version 10". ;)

Midlife...... 20 April 2010 04:41 PM

If you think Splitpin is a pedant there was someone on here called Greasemonkey (who I'm sure is splitpin :) ) who would be even more explicit about the "numbering" of the newage impreza LOL

Shaun

PS Splitpin is correct :D

GC8 20 April 2010 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by wwp8 (Post 9352594)
can anyone educate me?

i'm asking cos when i look in pistonheads, they say that the hawkeye is version 10's in some adverts.
and i'm confused

Version numbers only apply to Classic STI models and they dont equate directly to WRX production models. For example, there wasnt an STI Version 1 and the first model Subaru described so was the Version 2, which equated to the C2-Series Impreza (so either the Impreza version 3 or version 4, depending on how you view it).

Subaru stopped using this naming convention when they introduced the New Age Impreza and people now randomly and incorrectly make up their own version numbers in ignorance. It all starts with the 'Version 7' STI Type-UK which wasnt a version 7 by any reckoning, and it gets worse from there...

Simon

GC8 20 April 2010 07:49 PM

Hmmm. Does Splitpin have a mullet?

Steve Whitehorn 20 April 2010 09:08 PM

Greasemonkey..... now that is a name from the past!

Midlife...... 20 April 2010 11:04 PM

.......like a herd of cows jumping on an unfortunate scooby LOL

I'm sure Splitpin is actually greasemonkey LOL

Shaun

Splitpin 21 April 2010 12:01 AM

Who? No mullet here I'm afraid, although frequently a trout, and the odd salmon.

Oh - edited to add, what's pedantry in this case, btw? Surely it's the folks who've unnecessarily complicated the whole thing via non-existant and confused "systems". ;)

GC8 21 April 2010 02:18 AM

Greasemonkey - Its not having a mullet, approaching 40 and living with his mother still, nor playing too much PlayStation World Rally Championship 'in his room' that bothered me. It was being too f*cking stupid to prevent Fifth Gear from filming and representing him as such. What on earth made him think that that was a good idea?

Festa 28 April 2010 07:03 PM

Now then Mr Splitpin.

Im trying to find out what "Version" my car is for the reason ive found a cambelt kit for the version 3/4. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Its a 1998 S reg UK Turbo Wagon.

Thanks matey. :thumb:

Midlife...... 28 April 2010 07:35 PM

Only Jap STi's came as "Versions" ......The Classic UK cars were never numbered, not WRX's or STi's and are known as Turbo 2000 AWD or named as special editions.....P1, Terzo, Catalunya etc.

It's the Model Year you need :D

Shaun

Festa 28 April 2010 07:40 PM

Ahhh right, im just going on the E-bay advert saying that the kit fits UK turbo verions 3 and 4 inc LTD editions. :confused:

Midlife...... 28 April 2010 07:58 PM

I'd PM Tonyburns or wait for him to pop up LOL

Shaun