ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Sti engine into WRX help (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/842056-sti-engine-into-wrx-help.html)

Petbeemer 16 July 2010 11:42 AM

Sti engine into WRX help

Hi people,
Ive just bought a JDM 2002 STI engine to fit to my 2002 WRX, now my question is what's the easiest way to do this, can the AVCS heads stay on and just not operate? or can the cams be replaced with the cams from the WRX or is it just easier to swap heads?
Ideally i'd like to leave the motor in one piece and just drop it in, i have seen a conversion to get the AVCS heads to work here http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0311...ion/index.html but planned on doing this at a later time if it was possible?
Whats your thoughts?

bunsofsteeeel 16 July 2010 12:43 PM

my limited knowledge says you will need a sti ecu and a sensor will have to run to the gearbox so probaly a wiring loom aswell.

Petbeemer 16 July 2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel (Post 9498150)
my limited knowledge says you will need a sti ecu and a sensor will have to run to the gearbox so probaly a wiring loom aswell.

But shouldn't if you don't wire the solanoids up on the heads?

micaredwrx 16 July 2010 05:40 PM

You'll need a STI ECU and the transponder chip (to match) for your key, Then just follow the instructions in the link you posted.
I did the same a while ago and haven't looked back :D
If you're not confident with wiring then get an auto electrician to do it (I did).

Petbeemer 16 July 2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by micaredwrx (Post 9498644)
You'll need a STI ECU and the transponder chip (to match) for your key, Then just follow the instructions in the link you posted.
I did the same a while ago and haven't looked back :D
If you're not confident with wiring then get an auto electrician to do it (I did).

So what your saying is it's just easier to change the heads, as i don't have the loom nor ecu

micaredwrx 16 July 2010 09:36 PM

When did i mention changing the heads?
Buy a STI ECU and wire it up (most Subaru breakers will have one). It's really not rocket science!

gallois 16 July 2010 10:11 PM

advice with an attitude, i like it.

Petbeemer 17 July 2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by micaredwrx (Post 9499145)
When did i mention changing the heads?
Buy a STI ECU and wire it up (most Subaru breakers will have one). It's really not rocket science!

I know it's not rocket science, but your assuming im just after power when im not, my need is for speed, time wise nothing more

dabow 17 July 2010 09:52 AM

you will need the ecu mate, if your after just the power
get your car mapped. the engine will be stronger.

i've put an sti v7 block in my uk classic.but have different heads (sti v4)
works a charm, but as aboth, you need to source an ecu to make use of your new engine.

Petbeemer 17 July 2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by dabow (Post 9499673)
you will need the ecu mate, if your after just the power
get your car mapped. the engine will be stronger.

i've put an sti v7 block in my uk classic.but have different heads (sti v4)
works a charm, but as aboth, you need to source an ecu to make use of your new engine.

No, you all seem to be missing the point, i need to fit this engine now to get the car running again, im not bothered that it has STI heads i just want to know the quickest way to get it fitted and running, if i can leave the heads disconected and just run it like that then thats fine, i'l worry about wiring the heads up after

f4la k 17 July 2010 12:55 PM

No you cant just put the eng in. your best bet is to swap the heads.

dabow 17 July 2010 12:58 PM

about to put that my self.
if you use the engine as is, you need all the wiring inc ecu, with the ecu you'll need the transponder.

where as if you use the block, and put another set of heads on, you'll be fine.
but may/will need a map due to different compresion ratios and set up

Petbeemer 17 July 2010 01:19 PM

Ok so why? as the cams are obviously pressure driven via solanoids which presumably retards them higher up the rev range, what else is different?

If the solanoids don't operate then the cams are static again

JDM_Stig 17 July 2010 01:46 PM

your wrx ecu will flag a fault code up as there is no tumblers on a sti as mentioned there is on a wrx

Petbeemer 17 July 2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 9500041)
your wrx ecu will flag a fault code up as there is no tumblers on a sti as mentioned there is on a wrx

Im using my manifold so that should be ok?

JDM_Stig 17 July 2010 02:05 PM

yes, I thought you were trying to use the whole lump, will get my coat lol

Petbeemer 17 July 2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 9500075)
yes, I thought you were trying to use the whole lump, will get my coat lol

No didn't buy the inlet as i saw no point, just wanted the bottom end

micaredwrx 17 July 2010 03:28 PM

Surely it's easier/faster to source a STI manifold/ECU and bolt/wire it in rather than swapping heads over etc
Tbh when I fitted an STI engine in to my WRX I'm sure I read somewhere that you can block up the AVCS oil feeds and run it without, Although the performance will suffer (but as you said your not that bothered).
Personally it makes sense to me to do it properly first time round, But I don't know your circumstances.
Seems a shame to lose the advantage of the AVCS.

Petbeemer 17 July 2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by micaredwrx (Post 9500190)
Surely it's easier/faster to source a STI manifold/ECU and bolt/wire it in rather than swapping heads over etc
Tbh when I fitted an STI engine in to my WRX I'm sure I read somewhere that you can block up the AVCS oil feeds and run it without, Although the performance will suffer (but as you said your not that bothered).
Personally it makes sense to me to do it properly first time round, But I don't know your circumstances.
Seems a shame to lose the advantage of the AVCS.

Time and money are the key factor here, the motor thats in it now was forged recently but has spun a bearing, so after laying out for that then buying this new motor it's starting to weigh heavy on the pocket, ilooking at the STI motor i couldn't see any reason why it won't just slip in 'as is' oil feeds shouldn't need capping as there operated by solanoids so cams would just be 'flat' rather than 'dynamic' but that shouldn't matter, but it looks like no-body has actually done it

Sc0oby 17 July 2010 04:05 PM

2002 jdm sti engine doesnt have an immobiliser. better to put evrything in including the harness

Minjeeta 17 July 2010 11:03 PM

wire the avcs solenoid (5 wires) into the tumble generator valves (3 wires solenoid and 2 wires position sensors) - or swap the intake manifold over. or get an STi ECU.

Jolly Green Monster 17 July 2010 11:21 PM

for speed you need to swap the heads.

You could lock the cams in place but the car would need a remap to suit and iti s a pointless route.

You either need to fit the whole engine and wire the avcs in but assuming you don't have the sti injectors, turbo you will need it mapping anyway.

easier to just fit the wrx heads to that bottom end.

I would spend the slight extra and small amount of time to strip the short engine once heads off and replace the bearings though. As the pistons are different it would need mapping but in theory it should be okay on the standard wrx map.

Simon

Petbeemer 18 July 2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Minjeeta (Post 9500993)
wire the avcs solenoid (5 wires) into the tumble generator valves (3 wires solenoid and 2 wires position sensors) - or swap the intake manifold over. or get an STi ECU.

Have you been down this route? its basically what the link i posted shows which is what i was thinking of doing but just not straight off, i just nee to get it mobile and quickly

Simon: why "lock the cams" presumably they are already set in position the solanoids just operate electronically and oil pressure then moves them? or have i got this wrong

f4la k 18 July 2010 01:34 PM

I thought this was all about speed (time). the amount of time youve been on here you could have swapped the heads and had the engine in. you asked the quickest way to get it running and i told you along with others.

Petbeemer 18 July 2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by f4la k (Post 9501674)
I thought this was all about speed (time). the amount of time youve been on here you could have swapped the heads and had the engine in. you asked the quickest way to get it running and i told you along with others.

This is true, but i also have to wait for weather at present as im doing it at the side of the road due to circumstance!

Nor have i got a definate answer as no one seems to have tried just running the motor 'as is' or understand how the AVCS works! just comments

micaredwrx 18 July 2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Petbeemer (Post 9501765)
Nor have i got a definate answer as no one seems to have tried just running the motor 'as is'

If no one has tried it, Then doesn't that tell you something!

Petbeemer 18 July 2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by micaredwrx (Post 9501923)
If no one has tried it, Then doesn't that tell you something!

Not really no, i asked for advice not sarcasm, but now perhaps i can see why theres so many Subaru forums and i thought the MLR was bad!

Jolly Green Monster 18 July 2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Petbeemer (Post 9501643)
Have you been down this route? its basically what the link i posted shows which is what i was thinking of doing but just not straight off, i just nee to get it mobile and quickly

Simon: why "lock the cams" presumably they are already set in position the solanoids just operate electronically and oil pressure then moves them? or have i got this wrong

they are activated by the oil solenoid but may not be in the same position or remain in the same position and need locking so the timing doesn't vary..

but if you don;t have the sti manifold, injectors, turbo, ecu, etc it seems a bit of an outlay plus small hassle adding the wiring etc..

Simon

mike81 18 July 2010 06:57 PM

i'd swap the heads over and sell the sti's heads. Could make some money back:thumb:

Petbeemer 20 July 2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mike81 (Post 9502116)
i'd swap the heads over and sell the sti's heads. Could make some money back:thumb:

Apparently not as Paul's had some for sale for ages and no takers, engine's fitted now anyhow, complete