ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   VW group 140 TDI engines (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/859669-vw-group-140-tdi-engines.html)

Jamescsti 12 November 2010 09:19 PM

VW group 140 TDI engines

Due to my MG ZT getting written off by someone rear ending me i'm looking for a new car.

Very interested in the Leon Reference Sport and the Golf GT TDi, both with the same VW 140 TDI engine, probably the Leon to be honest as I prefer the looks,

Anyone got any comments on the engine though, any problems?

I commute 50 miles per day so a diesel is a must for me

BLU 12 November 2010 09:24 PM

My missus does 50 miles a day too, in her Scooby :norty:

The engines themselves are fairly good (we've just sold a 140TDi Touran)
Watch out for the intake flap valve (throttle body) problem. Very common, it jams, pops a fuse and pings up an engine light. £200 part plus labour.

stilover 12 November 2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jamescsti (Post 9709528)
Due to my MG ZT getting written off by someone rear ending me i'm looking for a new car.

Very interested in the Leon Reference Sport and the Golf GT TDi, both with the same VW 140 TDI engine, probably the Leon to be honest as I prefer the looks,

If you can, get a 170TDI Golf. I had a GT Sport, and they are suprisingly quick.

TonyBurns 12 November 2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jamescsti (Post 9709528)

just look on the vag forums ;)
Injector issues (more common than you think, even on lower mileage cars), egr valves etc, its not the most reliable diesel out there tbh.

Tony:)

Jamescsti 13 November 2010 03:35 PM

Put a deposit down on a 07 plate Leon Reference Sport, loved the drive of it, fealt really light and responsive on duel carriage way, very well put together and looked the dogs nuts in metallic black, picking it up next weekend

TonyBurns 13 November 2010 11:03 PM

Ensure you take out the extended warranty ;)
Nah, they are not too bad, if you do the miles that is ;)
Everyone I know has had issues with the VW diesel engines (1.9/2ltr tdi's) or clutches on them.
Would go on about my mate with the Seat Leon 2ltr tdi with low miles, injector went just outside the warranty (low miles), Seat were brill about it and just charged for labour (400 quid :eek: ) then you see the price for the part, £900 quid :eek::eek::eek: so take the warranty out ;)

Jamescsti 14 November 2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 9711211)
Ensure you take out the extended warranty ;)
Nah, they are not too bad, if you do the miles that is ;)
Everyone I know has had issues with the VW diesel engines (1.9/2ltr tdi's) or clutches on them.
Would go on about my mate with the Seat Leon 2ltr tdi with low miles, injector went just outside the warranty (low miles), Seat were brill about it and just charged for labour (400 quid :eek: ) then you see the price for the part, £900 quid :eek::eek::eek: so take the warranty out ;)

12 month warranty with the AA comes with the car so should offer some protection.
I used to own a Mondeo TDCI so am familiar with the Dual mass flywheel issues of diesel engines, hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons though

ALi-B 14 November 2010 11:19 AM

There are two types of 2.0 TDi140 engine depending on year. One is a 16valve PD (pumpe-duse) and the other is a 16valve Common rail (both not to be confused with the old 8valve 1.9 PD ). Whilst they are both based around the same block and have almost identical outputs, they have very different cylinder heads and fueling systems.

The PD is more punchy and has better low down torque, but the CR is better on fuel.

Flywheel issues as per usual on any modern VAG car. Whilst that is warrantied it often has to have the clutch replaced too, and they often won't warranty the clutch as its wear and tear item.

Petem95 14 November 2010 11:43 AM

Pretty sure these have common issues relating to the turbo.

I had a 2004 A3 2.0TDi until about 3 years ago, and it slowly developed a 'woooooo' noise from the engine/turbo. Known as the 'owl noise' on forums - not the usual turbo whistle. At the time some people on forums said turbo on its way out, others some valve - but nothing definitive.

Dealer said it wasn't an issue, but I thought otherwise and sold the car (as it was out of warranty). Took a serious hit on depreciation, but that's another story!

Someone at work with a 2007 Leon company car with the same 2.0 140bhp engine started getting the same noise - again dealer said nothing to worry about, but the engine blew up about 6 months later. Required a new turbo.

Someone else at work with a 2007 Golf GT TDi, also the 2.0 TDi has just had a new turbo fitted under warranty as that had started doing the woooo noise.

I tend to hear quite a lot of VW/Audi's in car parks making that noise so there is clearly some sort of common fault here.

Other than that, although unrefined I felt the engine was economical. Used to average 50mpg overall on my commute (by comparison get just shy of 44mpg from a 330d), but if you really tried you could get amazing MPG from the 2.0 TDi - once managed a 72mpg on the trip computer doing a constant 60mph from Bristol to Leeds!!

ALi-B 14 November 2010 12:30 PM

I don't think that "woo" noise any indication of anything - most turbo cars do it, but is often unheard/silenced due to the induction/exhaust system design and sound insulation, some with inferior induction silencing will make a moan under light load. The key is how loud it is.

A faint "woo" noise off-boost just off idle (under light load at 800-1200rpm, like when pulling way gently) is pefectly normal and just the nature of a turbo as it starts to spin up to speed but not producting any boost pressure. However If it made the noise whilst on boost at higher revs, or it was very loud. then thats a bad thing, and would be a cause for concern. High speed noises under heavy load/high boost are indicative of leaks or chipped blades.

FYI a 140ps TDi wiith the PD fueling/head will be code BKD or BKP. But the common rail will be code CBxx or CAxx where "x" is alternate letter depending on spec. Different engine - fitted depending on model year (old cars = PD, newer ones = CR).

The PD version does use a little oil - so keep it checked and topped up between services and DO NOT overfill it (too much will kill it), and its vital to use VAG 505.01, 506.01 or 507.00 rated oil.

Jamescsti 14 November 2010 12:55 PM

Can anyone recommend a decent owners forum for either Seat or VAG cars in general?
Did a google search and the ones I looked at all appeared absolutely dead

ALi-B 14 November 2010 01:01 PM

VW vortex is pretty informative. And there is a clan of VW nuts on Tyresmoke (although mainly R32/GTi).

Cupranet is not a bad Seat one, but not so busy.