ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MAF / Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor different (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/861231-maf-mass-air-flow-meter-sensor-different.html)

Ciaran 23 November 2010 09:29 PM

MAF / Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor different

Right I have recently sold a "MY99 green label MAF"

Basically the buyers says I have sent him a MY99 Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor and not a MY99 green label MAF as I said. Am I being stupid or is that the same thing??????

Im just intrested as I am going to re-advertise and don't want to be selling something as something it's not

Here is a link to the thread and yes I have just edited but only to what the original post said just so you can see
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...label-maf.html

prodriverules 23 November 2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 9730339)
Right I have recently sold a "MY99 green label MAF"

Basically the buyers says I have sent him a MY99 Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor and not a MY99 green label MAF as I said. Am I being stupid or is that the same thing??????

Im just intrested as I am going to re-advertise and don't want to be selling something as something it's not

Here is a link to the thread and yes I have just edited but only to what the original post said just so you can see
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...label-maf.html

Its the same thing Ciaran,MAF is just short for 'mass air flow':thumb:

Jamz_ 23 November 2010 09:38 PM

Why you should always take pictures of what you are selling... that way the buyer cannot complain its the wrong item, unless its different from the picture...

Maybe the buyer thought it was a MAP sensor?

Ciaran 23 November 2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9730362)
Its the same thing Ciaran,MAF is just short for 'mass air flow':thumb:

Thought that. Did you get Green Label MAF's MY99 onwards ONLY??? OR did you possibly get them on earlier cars?

prodriverules 23 November 2010 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 9730374)
Thought that. Did you get Green Label MAF's MY99 onwards ONLY??? OR did you possibly get them on earlier cars?

They are on 95/96's as well i think but i could be wrong?

FB Tuning 23 November 2010 09:45 PM

1992-1996 Imprezas have what is typically referred to as a 'Green Label MAF'

The 1999/2000 part is completely different to the earlier 92-96 one. - Subaru put a small dot of green paint on the later types of this MAF, after they revised the design of this unit.

Ciaran 23 November 2010 09:47 PM

Im am guessing thats it then as his username had something about 96WRX. Alss noticed I didn't mention the year of MAF in my for sale post.
Never mind he is sending it back and I will give him a full re-fund plus the cost of his postage as it's only fair seeing as it obviously my cock up

prodriverules 23 November 2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by FB Tuning (Post 9730396)

The 1999/2000 part is completely different to the earlier 92-96 one. - Subaru put a small dot of green paint on the later types of this MAF, after they revised the design of this unit.

Cheers Richard:thumb:Hoped you be along

Ciaran 23 November 2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by FB Tuning (Post 9730396)

Cheers people.

Anybody want to buy a MY99/00 Green MAF sensor (ps for cars MY99 onwards)

willsy369 23 November 2010 10:04 PM

my MAF has a green stripe on it i think its the newset type, the one before had a green dot, car is 98 V5 sti

Splitpin 23 November 2010 10:30 PM

Slight addendum to earlier comments. As has been said, 99-00 MAF sensors don't have a stuck on "label" in the way the earlier units do.

In addition, Subaru have fitted/distributed three (not two) distinct revisions of the 99-00 sensor. The original one that was fitted to the cars in the factory doesn't have any notable distinguishing marks.

The "version 2" was distributed through the parts system, presumably in an attempt to improve the reliability, and has a dab of bright green paint on the underside of the sensor head.

Both the v1 and the v2 sensors have five pins in the wiring connector and two unused metal prongs sticking out of the top near the mounting. These are to accept an optional air temperature sensor - which other manufacturers utilise but Subaru don't.

The version 3 sensor was introduced in late 2004. The IAT thermistor prongs are deleted - and so the connector now has four pins instead of five. The dab of green paint on the top corner of the mounting flange. It also has the manufacturer part number C36-700 R92 printed in white ink down one face of the flange, and a four (or maybe now five) character date code on one of the other faces. The first number of this code is the year of manufacture.

The version 1 and version 2 sensors have a reputation for being unreliable, and the best place for one nowadays is the bin. The fact that it is possible to tell how old the revision 3 sensors are via the date code is also very handy, as if you are unsure of the sensor's condition, if you know it's old you can replace it on an elective basis.

It might help if you described which type of green spot sensor you have Ciaran - the 2 or the 3, and if it's a 3, what that date code is. Although, with no slight to you intended, if anyone ever asks whether they should buy a secondhand sensor, personal recommendation is always to get a new genuine one, as in practice it is usually the only way to be certain you can rely on it.

Chris 9-5 23 November 2010 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Splitpin (Post 9730548)
Slight addendum to earlier comments. As has been said, 99-00 MAF sensors don't have a stuck on "label" in the way the earlier units do.

In addition, Subaru have fitted/distributed three (not two) distinct revisions of the 99-00 sensor. The original one that was fitted to the cars in the factory doesn't have any notable distinguishing marks.

The "version 2" was distributed through the parts system, presumably in an attempt to improve the reliability, and has a dab of bright green paint on the underside of the sensor head.

Both the v1 and the v2 sensors have five pins in the wiring connector and two unused metal prongs sticking out of the top near the mounting. These are to accept an optional air temperature sensor - which other manufacturers utilise but Subaru don't.

The version 3 sensor was introduced in late 2004. The IAT thermistor prongs are deleted - and so the connector now has four pins instead of five. The dab of green paint on the top corner of the mounting flange. It also has the manufacturer part number C36-700 R92 printed in white ink down one face of the flange, and a four (or maybe now five) character date code on one of the other faces. The first number of this code is the year of manufacture.

The version 1 and version 2 sensors have a reputation for being unreliable, and the best place for one nowadays is the bin. The fact that it is possible to tell how old the revision 3 sensors are via the date code is also very handy, as if you are unsure of the sensor's condition, if you know it's old you can replace it on an elective basis.

Excellent info Splitpin :thumb: