My old car...be warned

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2014, 12:15 AM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My old car...be warned

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xample/2261728

Half the things advertised are not on the car,it's also got a dodgy maf and electrical/immobiliser starting issue (which I'm pretty sure they won't have sorted). I'm only sticking this on here because the dealer is shocking. And the price is waaaay over what it should be.
Andy
Old 27 April 2014, 08:22 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call doing this, but exactly what's not on the car, that they say is? Ie: have they magicked up service history etc?

Jamo
Old 27 April 2014, 09:59 AM
madhou5e
Scooby Newbie

Looks a lovely car TBH even though it is a bit pricey.

So MAF and starting aside what's wrong with it?
Old 27 April 2014, 10:19 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All dealers are pricey, they have to make money somehow....

Personally with 3 month warranty it doesnt matter the maf or alarm is knackered because you just keep taking it back until it is sorted. It looks clean enough and im sure with a bit of haggling you will get it for a nice price, and then they can fix all the faults

There isnt a whole load of mods listed so what is missing?
Old 27 April 2014, 10:43 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chieftain333

Half the things advertised are not on the car,it's also got a dodgy maf and electrical/immobiliser starting issue (which I'm pretty sure they won't have sorted). I'm only sticking this on here because the dealer is shocking. And the price is waaaay over what it should be.
Andy
Lol, you p1ssed because they only gave you £2k and now it's up for £4k.

Only joking buddy.
Old 27 April 2014, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

All dealers are pricey, they have to make money somehow....
But they don't have to be........why hang on to a car for four months to squeeze the last £100 out of it?

Happened to me locally. Went for a 08 plate Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150, priced at £7950.
Asked him for £100 off for no partexchange. He refused.

I bought a 58 plate, same mileage for £7400 from Donny.

The local dealer still had that same car four months later...that's 4 months valeting, advertising etc...which I would have said equated to more than £100 I asked for.

In addition, I shall now think thrice before I use him in future.
Old 27 April 2014, 11:08 AM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

This looks nice and i'm sure that any dealer with half a brain would have sorted this out.........what does a MAF and an electrical issue cost to sort? Couple of hundred quid at most?
I really love the attitude of some people, lets wedge it into a garage and then slag them off when they have to fix it and God forbid actually make a profit?!! Do you go to work for free?? I doubt it very much
Let's say you got £2k for your part ex, cost to fix and prep lets say £250, VAT on profit (this is from purchase to sale point not after what you spend on it) around £360 then tax at 20% and the £2k mark up isn't so great is it? This then excludes an 'enthusiastic' driver who breaks things that they then have to fix, now that's something to think about
Old 27 April 2014, 11:08 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Of course dealers are going to be more pricey, a 3 month warranty, valet, insurances, premises, profit margins, wages, the list goes on.

I would never use a stealer anyway because I dont want all the added rubbish that you are paying for!
Old 27 April 2014, 11:15 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

dealers or traders will look for between 1-1.5k profit on everything they sell don't forget they are a business not a charity.

you need to state whats really wrong with it as a dodgy maf and immobiliser are an easy fix tbh
Old 27 April 2014, 12:20 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Lol, you p1ssed because they only gave you £2k and now it's up for £4k.

Only joking buddy.
Old 27 April 2014, 12:31 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Andy
Just out of interest, how much did they give you for it against your new car ?
Lovely example but they could do with giving the engine bay a good clean.
Old 27 April 2014, 01:00 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
But they don't have to be........why hang on to a car for four months to squeeze the last £100 out of it?

Happened to me locally. Went for a 08 plate Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150, priced at £7950.
Asked him for £100 off for no partexchange. He refused.

I bought a 58 plate, same mileage for £7400 from Donny.

The local dealer still had that same car four months later...that's 4 months valeting, advertising etc...which I would have said equated to more than £100 I asked for.

In addition, I shall now think thrice before I use him in future.
Agreed, I've had similar situations in the past, I looked at a car with 8 months tax on tried to haggle too hard I think and then he started back tracking, ie saying no finance and tbe stereo is coming out, then walked past the local garage around a year later, car on forecourt with lower price and new £190 car tax
Old 27 April 2014, 01:24 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

But surely any dealer, the same as any private seller sets a price expecting a £500 or so knock off for a £4k car? If this still has a starting/MAF problem then it would show itself on a test drive.
Old 27 April 2014, 01:27 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic wagon 4 grand hehehehe sti new age nearly
Old 27 April 2014, 01:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by deanb1980
dealers or traders will look for between 1-1.5k profit on everything they sell don't forget they are a business not a charity.

you need to state whats really wrong with it as a dodgy maf and immobiliser are an easy fix tbh

Not all of them are like that.

One of the guys we do alot of work for basically makes a few hundred quid, and works on selling lots of cars cheap rather than a few at a larger profit.

He does well out of it. But he's one of the more honest guys out there, he calls a spade a spade, which is rare with salesmen.

Works well for us becuase he gets in the cars, we fix any minor issues (quick and easy fixes is where the money is at), and he sells them. If they are major/costly issues, the car just gets flipped back to the auctions.
Old 27 April 2014, 02:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I gather your average "3 month warranty" isn't really worth the paper it's written on
Old 27 April 2014, 02:11 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

well when you break it down he will be close to 500 in profit once sold and thats if he sells it at the price advertised

£2000 for the car
£40 for mot
£200 for maf problem
£500 for new alarm
£40 for valets
£700 put aside for 3 months warranty
£150 tax
£100 for service/pdi

that's £3730 that the car could owe him and if someone comes and offers him £4000 he would take it leaving him £270 profit until the 3 months is up and that's if it doesn't break and it costs less than £700 to fix
Old 27 April 2014, 02:18 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

regarding the part ex...yes I got 2k which I totally expected from a stealer so im far from pissed lol. the reason im doing this is because of their customer service,stuck my deposit down and said id have the money the following week...all good.
rang the dealer the week after and said ive got the money when will the car be ready? he said "tomorrow 100%"...thought brilliant ill cancel the wagon insurance to swap over to the new motor.
drove down from bradford to be told the car failed its MOT for wiper blades and a bulb and wont be retested until the day after...no phone call to tell me this and I told them my insurance ran out that day,not their problem.
had to get a days insurance on my wagon of 40 quid which I asked back and they said "no problem" (I didnt even ask for the 30 quid fuel back).
paid for the new car and was told that they wouldnt take the £40 off as their "gaffer" wouldnt allow it so got £20 off from the dealers commission...not happy.
no tax on the car (they had a week to sort out),so one of the dealers minions rushed off to the post office,car virtually had fuel fumes and the dealer put a gallon of unleaded as no super unleaded local.
saw that one of the alloys had a huge scrape that wasnt there when I first looked at the car,the car on the way home only hit 0.5 bar (luckily it was the ECUTEK low boost setting),tracking was meant to be sorted...which was not done.
car hadnt been cleaned inside or out as promised.
I know alot of you will say "take it back" but im a stubborn ******* and when I want a car I just want to get it home and look after it like an abandoned/ill treated dog.
regarding the wagon the maf issue only raises its head when its raining/cold due to water getting onto the induction kit through the bonnet vent and the starting issue is intermittent so many start when looked at.
the things not advertised/wrongly advertised are-
sti up pipe is an unknown jap part
short shift gearbox?....nope
doesnt have a HKS valve controller
no baileys dump valve has stock valve
its had recent pads not disks
only has 1 key not 2
doesnt have tein lowering springs has bilstein suspension all round
it doesnt have lots of japanese history,it has the service book and manual...thats it.
I wouldnt usually do this but me and the missus were fuming with how they treated us and dont want anyone on here being treated the same...id just avoid this dealer
Andy
Old 27 April 2014, 02:26 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

regarding the part ex...yes I got 2k which I totally expected from a stealer so im far from pissed lol. the reason im doing this is because of their customer service,stuck my deposit down and said id have the money the following week...all good.
rang the dealer the week after and said ive got the money when will the car be ready? he said "tomorrow 100%"...thought brilliant ill cancel the wagon insurance to swap over to the new motor.
drove down from bradford to be told the car failed its MOT for wiper blades and a bulb and wont be retested until the day after...no phone call to tell me this and I told them my insurance ran out that day,not their problem.
had to get a days insurance on my wagon of 40 quid which I asked back and they said "no problem" (I didnt even ask for the 30 quid fuel back).
paid for the new car and was told that they wouldnt take the £40 off as their "gaffer" wouldnt allow it so got £20 off from the dealers commission...not happy.
no tax on the car (they had a week to sort out),so one of the dealers minions rushed off to the post office,car virtually had fuel fumes and the dealer put a gallon of unleaded as no super unleaded local.
saw that one of the alloys had a huge scrape that wasnt there when I first looked at the car,the car on the way home only hit 0.5 bar (luckily it was the ECUTEK low boost setting),tracking was meant to be sorted...which was not done.
I know alot of you will say "take it back" but im a stubborn ******* and when I want a car I just want to get it home and look after it like an abandoned/ill treated dog.
regarding the wagon the maf issue only raises its head when its raining/cold due to water getting onto the induction kit through the bonnet vent and the starting issue is intermittent so many start when looked at.
only has 1 key not 2
it doesnt have lots of japanese history,it has the service book and manual...thats it.
I wouldnt usually do this but me and the missus were fuming with how they treated us and dont want anyone on here being treated the same...id just avoid this dealer
Andy
if this would of been your original post we could of all stopped wasting our time you only originally said it had a maf and immobiliser issue now you have listed them its a good reason to dish the dirt
Old 27 April 2014, 02:35 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

So you are upset about stuff that they havent done, yet you havent taken the car back?

They are laughing all the way to the bank and you are going to spend a fortune sorting it out yourself.
Old 27 April 2014, 02:40 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I've known chieftain for fair few years, there's very few more laid back people than him so if he has felt the need to post this then there is something very wrong with that place.
Old 27 April 2014, 02:47 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
So you are upset about stuff that they havent done, yet you havent taken the car back?

They are laughing all the way to the bank and you are going to spend a fortune sorting it out yourself.
a fortune? the wheels are getting redone because I want them a different colour,thats it. this isnt about the car its about the dealer....cant you read?
Old 27 April 2014, 02:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Some people are like that - I know people who'd rather use their own garage than take their car back to somewhere for warranty work...even main dealers with manufacturers warranty! They'd rather pay to have it fixed by someone they trust, rather than have to deal with the anguish of trying to get it done for free.

I'd probably be like that myself if I wasn't such a tight ****

I did once poo poo a thread about one of my old cars when I caught the dealer selling it for nearly £6K more than what I sold it to its last owner for. I listed every fault, ding, scratch and repair I knew about. (was a good car, just overpriced)
Old 27 April 2014, 02:54 PM
ELUSIVEJIM
Scooby Regular

only has 1 key not 2
Andy

I feel for you mate.

Yes dealers have to make profit but why do some operate in this way which then give the whole dealership community a bad name.

If you are honest and sell proper cars people will come back to you even if your profits are lower.

Some dealerships really have no idea.
Old 27 April 2014, 03:03 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

a fortune? the wheels are getting redone because I want them a different colour,thats it. this isnt about the car its about the dealer....cant you read?
Yes I can read, although maybe your punctuation skills could do with some working on, we arent perfect but I dont throw insults about it

You listed faults with the car -

Tracking not done
Not cleaned inside/out
Wheels scuffed
car not ready and taxed when said it wa sdone
etc

So you are making out that you have been hard done by, well the stealer should be paying for these faults, yet you are paying for them out of your own pocket.

It seems like sour grapes to me, the list of faults with the white one,

sti up pipe is an unknown jap part - it is an uprated version then? just sales talk and if it is a part that is upgraded then it seems like slight exaggeration.

short shift gearbox? okay so it might not be.

doesnt have a HKS valve controller blatantly obvious when looking at the car

no baileys dump valve has stock valve - thats a good thing anyway

its had recent pads not disks Maybe the garage did discs?

only has 1 key not 2 again not hard to get a key cut?

doesnt have tein lowering springs has bilstein suspension all round still uprated, incorrect brand then?

So just out of curiosity did you inform the garage of these maf problems etc before you sold it to them?

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Some people are like that - I know people who'd rather use their own garage than take their car back to somewhere for warranty work...even main dealers with manufacturers warranty! They'd rather pay to have it fixed by someone they trust, rather than have to deal with the anguish of trying to get it done for free.

I'd probably be like that myself if I wasn't such a tight ****

I did once poo poo a thread about one of my old cars when I caught the dealer selling it for nearly £6K more than what I sold it to its last owner for. I listed every fault, ding, scratch and repair I knew about. (was a good car, just overpriced)
Why would anyone pay for something that isnt their fault or problem?!!?!?!?!?
Old 27 April 2014, 03:13 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

lol,are you a dealer glanza?
I've said my piece...the deals done and i'm letting people know on here what experience ive had with this dealer and what problems there are with my old car...very rare thing when looking at a car to buy from a dealer.
Andy
Old 27 April 2014, 03:16 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

lol,are you a dealer glanza?
I've said my piece...the deals done and i'm letting people know on here what experience ive had with this dealer and what problems there are with my old car...very rare thing when looking at a car to buy from a dealer.
Andy
Definitely not a dealer.

So you never answered my question, did you tell the dealer about the maf problems etc?
Old 27 April 2014, 03:22 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Definitely not a dealer.

So you never answered my question, did you tell the dealer about the maf problems etc?
no,and why would you? 2k part ex...what would you expect. If it was a private sell id be the decent seller and either sort the problem out or inform the possible buyer of the issue. The cars worth 3k all day.
Old 27 April 2014, 03:26 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

The car is not worth 3k all day long, because no one would buy a car with all the issues you have listed for 3k, id knock you down to 2k so I could fix the issues myself.

The car is only worth what someone will pay.

2k was a fair deal from the stealer. So you are going on about the way the stealer treats you? Imagine how he is feeling when he realises you have stitched him up....
Old 27 April 2014, 03:27 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

The car doesn't have maf problems. He stated it plays up when it gets wet, im pretty sure a brand new maf will play up when wet.

Quick Reply: My old car...be warned