ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sold the scoob for clk

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2014, 11:38 AM
ppprodrive
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sold the scoob for clk

well i sold my second blob which was a prodrive and miss it loads especially as i only had 2 days of driving it with the original recirc valve back on which i never knew the last owner had in the boot. with the dumpvalve on i thought the car was fast untill i changed to the recirc it was a flying machine.
but got real fed up of seeing the petrol garage all the time so now bought a 54 plate clk 270 cdi and must say lovely car but performance wise is just sooooooo boring. i know the tuning box i want which i have had before will give the car atleast 40bhp so should make a difference hopefully
Old 29 August 2014, 11:51 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Wow, that must be a diametrically opposed driving experience.... something tells me you will be back in a Scoob before long petrol woes or not
Old 29 August 2014, 01:28 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have solved the problem by having both, a petrol CLK 320 and a 400+bhp Bug. The driving experiences are totally different of course. The Merc is a bit boring but so nice to climb into when I've got a long dreary journey ahead of me. It has the tiptronic auto box too so I can give it a bit of a squirt when the occasion demands.

Performance is streets away from the Bug, but on the plus side so is the fuel consumption - 30mpg on a Motorway run with the Merc, 20 at the very best with the Bug, but dropping to 15 or worse when it's given the beans. The Shell garage App is vital for any serious journey in the Bug.

I have to remember which car I'm in when in traffic too. The Bug can be past a long line of cars in a flash, the Merc can't make it past two or more without plenty of room. Doesn't do to forget that!
Old 29 August 2014, 10:22 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

lol the shell garage app comment made me laugh but so true. I recently took a 400 mile trip to my parents (800 mile round trip) and that was the first thing I did plot a route that included plenty of Shell garages, by the time I got home not only was I sick of the sight of the neon yellow shell sign but almost bankrupt!, more than happy to climb back into the soulless Saab Aero Auto I use everyday.

You are right though, it doesn't take long before you are itching to jump right back into it and although it is now an old car, with some decent upgrades it always feels so much more planted and direct (the Scooby) than the assortment of newage cars I get to drive.

How often do you think when you are stuck behind <insert qty here> cars "I'd be past all of this crap if I was in the Scoob already" when you are in your daily? but thats good right!
Old 29 August 2014, 10:33 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted my scoob on lpg, I was thinking about clk 270cdi or scoob 5 years ago and I did experiment with lpg kit.
That what You loose when You sold bug and bought merc will give You lpg convertion.
Unless You don't do track days,its worth to do it.
I need to sort cruise control for scoob and It will be perfect all year cruiser.
Old 29 August 2014, 11:43 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
I converted my scoob on lpg, I was thinking about clk 270cdi or scoob 5 years ago and I did experiment with lpg kit.
That what You loose when You sold bug and bought merc will give You lpg convertion.
Unless You don't do track days,its worth to do it.
I need to sort cruise control for scoob and It will be perfect all year cruiser.
I'm on my third scoob, but converted my first one to LPG, cheap as chips to run after that!

But had slight hesitation on Lpg, the Lpg garage couldn't quite match the map to my petrol map.

How does yours run? What kit have you got?