Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hello from Scooby and forum newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2014, 05:04 PM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Scooby and forum newbie!

Hi Guys
Just wanted to say a quick hello to all on here. My names Rocky and I live in Bruton, Somerset. I have never used forums before other than diagnosing previous cars problems!
After a few years of saving, I have finally saved up some money to purchase my first Impreza. I have never been in one or driven on before so it's all a bit new to me but I have loved them for a long time, and now seems a good enough time to invest in one. I have found this forum useful already with regards to finding information about Impreza models, things to look for when buying etc. As soon as I have found my first car I shall be putting up pictures and purchasing forum membership
Old 01 September 2014, 06:11 PM
sc00by_d00
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum aka madhouse from another Somerset member (yeovil.)

Somerset scoobys on F/B are a good group if you are looking for something local.lots of local meets and events along with more national events like japfest etc.

Good to see some pics of your first impreza when you make a purchase. Any preference? Classic or newage?
Old 01 September 2014, 06:23 PM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply!
Nice to know that there are some local Impreza's near to me! I will look at the group tonight on the book of face.
I am looking for a newage, it will be a hawkeye and I want to find one in blue. I have spent the last two nights up till 5am searching the net but it seems so hard to find what I want i.e price, location, service history etc
Old 01 September 2014, 07:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

The key is don'#t rush, one will turn up on your door step, normally after you have just bought another
Old 01 September 2014, 07:47 PM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

That's very sound advice! I have been searching for a while but in one way I just want to buy one asap even if it needs work doing, because I want the sound, looks and performance right now!!!!!
Old 02 September 2014, 09:33 AM
oliver dufresne
Scooby Regular

Rocky,

Welcome to the world of scooby, i am sure you will enjoy it, unless you rush of course and buy a dog, then you may hate it.
Main thing is to take your time. A scooby is for life not just for christmas.
Hawkeye's have had problems with the standard engines, you only have to look on here and dig a bit to find that out, so if you have no experience with them, get someone who does know or start reading loads before you buy, then, you will love it.
When you find something ask others to have a look to check for you.
Good luck.
Old 02 September 2014, 09:42 AM
tarquin crispin
Scooby Regular

Hi Rocky welcome to SN, you will find loads of info on this forum and lots of help, have a look in the for sale section a budget might indicate what your after also the usual sites autotrader, pistonheads etc etc, regarding the hawkeye problems they seem to happen to the 2.5 engines, however there are some 2.0 JDM hawks and blobs which are JDM cars which dont have the 2.5 problems happy hunting
Old 02 September 2014, 10:06 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Hi Rocky, welcome aboard. Steer clear of the 2.5 units and you will be fine Say hello to Apollo for me Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 02 September 2014, 10:17 AM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by oliver dufresne
Rocky,

Welcome to the world of scooby, i am sure you will enjoy it, unless you rush of course and buy a dog, then you may hate it.
Main thing is to take your time. A scooby is for life not just for christmas.
Hawkeye's have had problems with the standard engines, you only have to look on here and dig a bit to find that out, so if you have no experience with them, get someone who does know or start reading loads before you buy, then, you will love it.
When you find something ask others to have a look to check for you.
Good luck.
Thanks for the information, I had not found any info that said the hawkeye's had engine problems, although had found plenty of words of wisdom to avoid the 2.5 engines. Did the standard 2.0 WRX have any common problems then because I haven't found any info for this??
Old 02 September 2014, 10:19 AM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tarquin crispin
Hi Rocky welcome to SN, you will find loads of info on this forum and lots of help, have a look in the for sale section a budget might indicate what your after also the usual sites autotrader, pistonheads etc etc, regarding the hawkeye problems they seem to happen to the 2.5 engines, however there are some 2.0 JDM hawks and blobs which are JDM cars which dont have the 2.5 problems happy hunting
Thanks for sharing the knowledge! What is the JDM, I haven't heard of this before.....
Old 02 September 2014, 10:21 AM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Hi Rocky, welcome aboard. Steer clear of the 2.5 units and you will be fine Say hello to Apollo for me Sorry, couldn't resist
You should check out what I did to him after we last fought, check out my second movie
Your not the first nor the last to bring up a Creed joke, had them for years and still find them funny!!
Old 02 September 2014, 11:57 AM
oliver dufresne
Scooby Regular

Rocky,

The 2.0 engine generally is good. However in the newage you are looking at 2 versions, the 2.0 uk engine( available only in the bug and blob eye) or the 2.0 JDM engine( Japanese Domestic Market) ( this engine goes in all JDM models, bug, blob, hawk and hatch). The UK engine has a single scroll engine turbo which has unequal length headers which give the boxer 'burble' sound. The 2.0 JDM engine is a twin scroll turbo which has equal length headers so you dont get that boxer ' burble' sound.
Generally speaking and it is a matter of opinion the twin scroll pulls lower in the rev band beacuse of the twin scroll, whereas the Uk 2.0 tends to have a bigger turbo woosh in a narrower rev banding.
The JDM engine feels more consistent across the range of revs, but still makes your stomach churn once you get to 5000 revs, bring it on!
The JDM cars have other features like quick rack steering, darkened rear windows, rear wiper, different suspension. So they are generally more highly specced, and if you can stretch I would get one.
You will pay more.
Old 02 September 2014, 12:05 PM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

That's a great write up, thanks!
My budget is around £4k maximum at the moment so a JDM newage is not in my reach sadly. I have found some cars I like the look of but not an expert by any means of these cars so am trying to find a car inspection service to help me buy a good car, hopefully not resulting in me buying a car and having to spend thousands sorting it!
Old 02 September 2014, 12:17 PM
oliver dufresne
Scooby Regular

Rocky,

WRX 2.0 Blob eye is probably the one to look at.
The wagon is a nice stealthy WRX or the Saloon is a bit more lairy.
Go for low mileage and as few owners as possible.
The standard 2.0 WRX does need a bit of moddign to loosen the engine a bit, i had one and I remember it being a bit flat once you get over 6000 revs.
Drive a couple to get a feel, but before you buy make sure everything is in place, don't accept any excuses for missing service books or log books etc.....
Unfortunately many scoobys are thrashed and covered over before selling.
Something like a wagon 2.0 WRX is the type of car that more sensible people like farmers might have had, and used more because of the 4wd not the massive spoiler.
Old 02 September 2014, 01:22 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

What cars have you owned before?
Old 02 September 2014, 08:11 PM
Rocky_1985
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by oliver dufresne
Rocky,

WRX 2.0 Blob eye is probably the one to look at.
The wagon is a nice stealthy WRX or the Saloon is a bit more lairy.
Go for low mileage and as few owners as possible.
The standard 2.0 WRX does need a bit of moddign to loosen the engine a bit, i had one and I remember it being a bit flat once you get over 6000 revs.
Drive a couple to get a feel, but before you buy make sure everything is in place, don't accept any excuses for missing service books or log books etc.....
Unfortunately many scoobys are thrashed and covered over before selling.
Something like a wagon 2.0 WRX is the type of car that more sensible people like farmers might have had, and used more because of the 4wd not the massive spoiler.
Sadly the Mrs has told me that I can't get a wagon because she doesn't like the look of them, so annoying that she gets to drive my cars

Originally Posted by imprezaworks
What cars have you owned before?
I have owned things like:-
MK2 Astra GTE
Volvo 480 Turbo (not fast but legendary!)
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Ford racing Puma
Fiat Coupe Turbo
Ford Mondeo ST24

Out of the 36 cars I have owned they are the best/fastest I have owned

Last edited by Rocky_1985; 02 September 2014 at 08:14 PM.