Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Pros and cons of front mount intercooler please..

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2018, 09:30 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi John I wasn’t after any sort of further evidence I can assure you. My comment was to negate others may suggest it’s possible. You know how forums can be. For pricing you really need speak to Simon, it’s probably best to have a real good grasp of your plans whether it be a BHP figure in mind or as to what you want from your car so he can advice you accordingly. I think he has Hatch variants on the shelf, Newage has a fabrication time of around 2 weeks if I remember rightly. Mike that’s a great looking car you have.
Old 07 July 2018, 10:24 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Thats a better solution than a traditional FMIC Mike.

You would get better cooling from the oil cooler if you lay it at the same angle as the radiator and build a sealed box around the oil cooler sides on exit, so it forces the air through both cores without any spillage out the sides, which creates turbulence and lowers efficiency. You would be able to use a smaller oil cooler core with improved efficiency on the install, which would help further with water temps if you ever get the need for more cooling in future.

Where is your aircon radiator?

Next on the list should be a cold air intake feed, you will be sucking in a lot of hot air with that setup.

Reversing the inlet will have helped with throttle response on that setup, a non reversed install wouldn't be far off a normal FMIC in terms of loss of response, but still better. Less likely to pull in debris if you ever pop a pipe too.

As you say its not cheap, no decent install is.

Last edited by johnfelstead; 07 July 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07 July 2018, 10:28 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No problem Rorry, i didn't think you were but thought it worth clarifying if there was some doubt over the data being legit. I certainly do know how forums work, been around this one from the start, although i tend not to post here much anymore.
Old 07 July 2018, 10:51 AM
Mike L
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

John I was looking at boxing in but no need for improving oil cooling 93 max last track day and water steady 82 for a twenty min session charge temps in the 20's goodwood so 1.7 bar max 650bhp ish due to noise

Next on my plan is to box in filter and cold air feed hoping it will help with induction noise too?

John speaking of noise who would you recommend for a custom exhaust system?
Old 07 July 2018, 12:16 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Mike L
John I was looking at boxing in but no need for improving oil cooling 93 max last track day and water steady 82 for a twenty min session charge temps in the 20's goodwood so 1.7 bar max 650bhp ish due to noise

Next on my plan is to box in filter and cold air feed hoping it will help with induction noise too?

John speaking of noise who would you recommend for a custom exhaust system?
Hi Mike, sounds like that's good enough for what you need. If you ever need to increase capacity you have some info now to help which won't cost much to implement.

I think it's unlikely to improve induction noise issues as it will already be pretty well insulated in that respect, might help a little but will be minor. Turbo motors tend not to suffer from that with regards to noise meter readings, it's probably all down to your exhaust system.

My exhaust is very quiet by Subaru standards, the twin scroll headers helps a lot in that respect it seems.

For custom exhaust work on all our racing cars we use Ryan Edwards, his work is exceptional quality. http://reexhaustfabs.co.uk/index.html