Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RAC Windscreen replacement - Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 07:20 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAC Windscreen replacement - Beware!

Just had RAC Windscreens out to replace the windscreen - I followed previous advice found on here making sure it had the VIN space and that it wasn't going to be RAC-own glass.

All seemed good - guy turns up, checked screen was the right one, had Subaru wrapping paper on it - straight from dealer...great I thought. Asked him to be careful as there were no marks around the pillars, roof and bonnet so I'd be checking afterwards.

Calls me outside after 30mins...o-oh, scuttle panel still on floor! Guy tells me the screen is not right - fits top and sides no problem, but it is 1.5inches too long and so goes too far into the engine bay - scuttle panel pins have no holes to go into as the screen is covering them!

Can't take the screen back out as the sealant is wet so will go all over the place. New screen wont be here till Monday morning! Will the right one arrive?? To make things worse, there are marks along the top of the screen on the roof where he's had to cut the screen out - after I said be careful! Gutted!

So, anyone getting a screen fitted - get them to measure top to bottom in case it is too long.
Old 09 August 2007, 07:27 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

rac foocked my car up aswell bust clips all over the place thay said thay were like that
Old 09 August 2007, 09:08 PM
cos500
Scooby Regular

Mine has come away at the top of the screen after the RAC fitted me a new one, when i rang them and told them they said i had to take the car to them and they wont come out, never again.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:14 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Got them coming on Tuesday to fit a new screen on my car - gonna be standing right on their shoulders when they are doing it.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:41 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Yeah - think I'll watch him with the new one.
Old 10 August 2007, 08:39 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, on the flipside, I've had both my GTi6 and S4 windscreens replaced by them. They did a blinding job - watched them do it (moreso out of fascination tbh)

Dan
Old 10 August 2007, 09:42 AM
AndyP's_P1
Scooby Regular

They replaced my windscreen and now the rubber strips at the edge are not sitting as they should. Suspect that they have broken a couple of clips. When i informed them of it they said it must have been like that before.

Would not reccommend them.

Andy
Old 10 August 2007, 10:48 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me started on RAC windscreens!

Took 6....yes SIX attempts to get my windscreen done!

At least I ended up with Subaru glass and not an RAC windscreen.

https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-scoo...rrrrrrrrr.html

I got my money back too.
Old 16 August 2007, 10:50 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd update this thread with the latest.....

They were meant to come on Monday - I call them on the morning to find out what is going on - nothing has happened yet - eh? They said it would be here for fitting on Monday. They say two screens have been ordered in the hope at least one is right (what a joke) and they will come and fit on Weds. Get a call on Weds - the Subaru screen is damaged so they need to get another one. It will now be Thurs fitting (today).

They turn up mob-handed (3 of em). Turns out 2 are on training. One of them is going around the whole car checking for damage (not just the area around the screen, but the rear bumper an' all! I asked him if they were now branching out into paint repairs (comedy genius me). Gave these guys the full SP on what happened a week ago - guy did the wrong screen in under 30mins, etc. Totally different experience with this one. They spent 15mins and a roll of masking tape all around the screen and the bonnet and wings, taped protection mats to the bonnet and roof, even the interior - the works. Ended up with the correct Subaru screen and it took just over 1hr and no damage

I am sure I got this treatment due to the issues and the expected compo claim, but I will remember this and make sure this happens every time. I suggest you watch them too and make sure they mask up the car.

PS. I still paid the excess but will be claiming for the damage a week ago and try for the money back as I've had no scuttle panel on for a week and so not used the car or driven it like usual.
Old 17 August 2007, 07:01 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Autoglass did mine on Monday and the guy was so helpful, mined you it took 2 of them to fit it they made a top job
Cheers
Colin
Old 17 August 2007, 03:43 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

autoglass did mine a couple of weeks ago. nice tidy job
Old 17 August 2007, 03:52 PM
Bailey73
Scooby Regular

They should use protective covers on every vehicle on all occasions as it is part of their pre-installation procedure.
Old 17 August 2007, 05:21 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

They replaced my windscreen on my old Scooby a few years ago, they ended up breaking most of the clips but still fitted the plastic strip that goes over the roof. When I went on the motorway the bloody plastic strip peeled off all the way back to the rear windscreen and dangled down the side of the car causing loads, and I do mean loads of scratches to the paintwork on the roof, the boot/spoiler, and the side of my car.
When I phoned up autowindscreen and told them what had happened they said to bring to car in to have the strip replaced, which took 2 months to arrive, but they would not accept responsability for the scratches as its a subaru and they all get scratches with the way they are driven!!!!!
Needless to say I wouldn't recommend them to anyone or even send my worst enemy to them!!

Sorry for moaning Marcus
Old 17 August 2007, 07:31 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

RAC windscreens of chelmsford did my 03sti screen a few months back, they did a lovely job.
Old 18 August 2007, 12:37 AM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Turned out my screen was repairable and the boy they sent up from Inverness did a great job and was a really nice bloke.Explained what he was doing and did a top job.
Old 18 August 2007, 04:47 PM
black newage
Scooby Regular

rac did my van yesterday, great job, once they got the right glass.
Old 18 August 2007, 07:00 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Had mine done by Autoglass here in Basingstoke yesterday, he done a fantastic job.. Took him about an hour half, he didn't break one clip and he even bought spares in case he did.. Not a mark on my car either, very pleased !!
Old 18 August 2007, 08:11 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bailey73
They should use protective covers on every vehicle on all occasions as it is part of their pre-installation procedure.

I think you'll find RAC doesn't have a procedure to fit windscreens where as autoglass have full fitting instructions
Old 19 August 2007, 11:05 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Rac deal with my vans. Told them I had new shape sprinter, and gave them reg number. Took old glss out and then found out they had the old shape windscreen. Three days under a tarp!!. Got rental and expenses out of them.
Old 18 January 2008, 09:43 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Bugger. Got my windscreen chipped and cracked coming home this evening. Called the claim number and got put through to RAC. Sounds like I need to

1) Ensure they get Subaru glass
2) Have replacement clips and mouldings
3) Watch them like a hawk so they don't scratch the paintwork

Bloody worried now. Have now got the car perfect and just the way I want it and if they mess it up I'll be so f**king annoyed.

Any other tips???
Old 18 January 2008, 09:52 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
Bugger. Got my windscreen chipped and cracked coming home this evening. Called the claim number and got put through to RAC. Sounds like I need to

1) Ensure they get Subaru glass
2) Have replacement clips and mouldings
3) Watch them like a hawk so they don't scratch the paintwork

Bloody worried now. Have now got the car perfect and just the way I want it and if they mess it up I'll be so f**king annoyed.

Any other tips???
Show this thread before they start!
Old 18 January 2008, 09:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not saying anything..... ok i will
It took rac windscreens about 8 months to get my spec c windscreen, well they didnt actually get it, I went to the dealer, 3 days including fitting (one from prodrive), i wrote a nice letter to the insurance co saying what I thought of their windscreen cover (as they queried my windscreen and I told them how long it had taken).

Tony
Old 18 January 2008, 11:07 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

They did mine and it was fine. They even brought a new plastic strip for above the screen because they knew it would break. Job was good and very professional.
Old 19 January 2008, 05:35 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

The I had the reverse situation to the OP on my old bugeye. The screen was too short !

Turns out there are 2 lengths for the wagon and saloon , the saloon being shorter.....
Old 19 January 2008, 05:48 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

RAC windscreens in Chelmsford did my 03sti, they did a great job using a new filling strip and clips etc.
In fact the new RAC branded screen is better than the oem one, it has a extra shaded part around the mirror.

Top job RAC, I would use them again.

dipster
Old 19 January 2008, 05:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davedipster
In fact the new RAC branded screen is better than the oem one, it has a extra shaded part around the mirror.
The Subaru screens have this now as well
Old 19 January 2008, 08:08 PM
turbotimmy
Scooby Regular

I had an rac replacement screen, i was at work when they done it so the missus signed for it, checked it when i got home and there is a scratch on each wing, the side strips have a gap under them where it looks like they have been bent and they wont come out so i took it to them and he comes out with a box of crayons and starts colouring the scratches in! I also find that when I look out the passenger side it appears to have a rippled effect.