Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Spec-c info please so confusing !

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2010, 08:57 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec-c info please so confusing !

Now looking for a replacement car and im pretty sure its gonna have to be a white blob eye spec-c
I just thought there was the spec-c and that was it ,after looking into it more i have seen the following differences.

Spec-c v-limited ???,what should this have different ?

I have noticed some have the sti 7 all blue front seats,some have the sti 8 blue with centre black bit front seats,and some have the wr1 style dark grey/black front seats,all on the blobeye model

Also noticed some have the blak wing mirrors,some have the sti 8 style and some have the all colour sti 7 mirrors

Again, wheels i have noticed many differnt styles

Rear spoilers again many dif styles like carbon ones,small wrx ones and some with the big sti ones

other things like electric windows and aircon ??
and noticed some have the later sti spec defi style black out speedo dials,i dont wanna end up buying something that is not as it should be and wanted some info on what should come with what so all the spec c boys please give me as much info as possuble to clear these things up.

Thanks pete.
Old 22 May 2010, 09:10 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Trying to keep this simple >

Standard spec c, light weight car with lots of extra's but there areno electric windows or air con.

Spec C V-ltd, you get your electric windows and a smaller than normal air con so it is a little easier to live with day to day.

Spec C RA, as above but with handling differences, STi pink goodies!!

Spec C Arai, (my car) same as Spec C V-ltd but has strengthened suspension strut mounts

Spec C RA-R (my favourite) same as RA but with LOTS of extras, blue printed and forged engine, 18" wheels housing STi (Brembo) 6 pot brakes which I believe are now fitted to the GTR 35 skyline

Take a look at the S203 + S204 as well

Check out "Subaru winklepedia"
Old 22 May 2010, 10:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, start with the easy ones

Spec C 16 inch version.
This is the motorsport version, has a manual dccd (not auto), misses out on the brembo's for the standard subaru 4 pot front and 2 pot rears, all the interior is "throw away", not really a good base for a spec c unless you find one that has had all the bits put back on/in.
Lightest version that comes in about 1310kg.

Spec C 17 inch version.
Comes complete with aircon thats about it, has the better seats but still has things like central locking, electic windows/mirrors deleted.
Weight is about 1350kg.

Spec C limited.
2004 car, comes with black interior, electric windows, folding/electric mirrors and central locking, also has an external temp sensor and rev limit buzzer.
Comes in a choice of 3 colours, red, blue and the best, white
Weight is 1370kg.

2005 saw the introduction of the Spec C type RA, first subaru to do the Nurburgring in under 8 mins, same power output as the standard cars, has all the uprated suspension parts (all pink sti and adjustable parts), possably some ecu tweaks but the 2005 cars had revised breathing mods, output supposedly above 300bhp.
Rare as rocking horse poo, have seen 2, one sold after about 9 months, 8k miles on the clock but it was in orkney the other was in hampshire, 16k miles, lasted about 2 months to 3 months, find one and get a performance bargain as most dealers dont have a clue what these are

Just one for 555, all the spec c engines are the same, they made no modifications to any of them as they are more than capable of running silly power just the turbo's were different on cars like the RA-R, a vf42 compared to a VF36.

Tony
Old 23 May 2010, 01:52 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a hawkeye your after by the looks of things. There's four versions of the hawkeye spec c.

16" motorsport version with throw away seats rubbish brakes 4 pot at the front and 2 pot at the rear. These car's are mainly for motorsport and people who are going to be upgrading these parts for rally/racing.

17" spec c gets light weight air con system electric windows 17" alloys with bridgestone RE070 tyres and 4 pot brembo's at the front and 2 pot brembo's at the rear which are very good for road and track. It also gets sti seats and the interior is black (similar to that of the wr1)

The toshi Arai version is a 17" version and the only difference is stickers on the doors rear spoiler and the gear **** plus white alloys and the interior is blue like the standard STI . That's it there no structural enhancements as stated above.

Then there the spec c type ra which is the same as the 17" spec c ,but gets all the STI treatment in the suspension area dampers springs anti roll bars back and front wish bones trailing arms rose joints plus 17 "aluminum lightweight alloys.

Then there's the Daddy the RA-R which gets everything the TYPE RA has and more including a fully blue printed STI engine bigger inlet hose bigger turbo VF42 18" aluminum alloys to house the 6 pot brembo's with grooved discs at the front and 2 pot brembo's wuth grooved disc's at the rear (same set up as the porsches).

Immy
Old 23 May 2010, 02:24 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
2005 saw the introduction of the Spec C type RA,
Rare as rocking horse poo,
Tony
There is one for sale on e-bay Germany, can anyone confirm its the real deal? Its also been converted to LHD.
Subaru-STi-Spec-C-Type-RA

Last edited by Lee_1075; 23 May 2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 23 May 2010, 02:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

It does look like one

Tony
Old 23 May 2010, 05:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I should add, 16 inch blob, spoiler is an option, dont normally come with one, 17 inch comes with a low level spoiler, the "large" spoilers are not factory items and are aftermarket ones, if you look at the spec c for sale in scotland (he has it down as a 2004 car but its a 2003 model, manufactured 05/06 or was it 06/05 2003, up for 13k ) that is an aftermarket spoiler, as when I owned her she had a low level one and really nice BBS alloy wheels (i need some nice BBS wheels, they are not cheap new, like 250 quid each ) without the tyres!

Tony
Old 23 May 2010, 08:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Spec C WR Ltd ... 2004 car with air con & leccy windows. Made for homologation purposes so that Subaru could rally them. Only 1000 made.

TX.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	3799  
Old 23 May 2010, 08:44 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

''spec c engines are the same, they made no modifications to any of them as they are more than capable of running silly power ''

tony can I ask what power these can take on the standard internals then?
Old 23 May 2010, 09:31 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

As you can see Tony disagreed with the Type RA-R having a blue printed engine and yet juggers agreed with me, yet juggers reckons that the 06 Spec C Arai doesnt get any structural enhancements just stickers, badges and coloured seats no wonder its confusing

If you wanna know what power they can take on standard internals I am sure each person / tuner will give you different answers > I rang Powerstation who ran the 06 Spec C in both Time Attack classes in 2006 and won both. They reckon no more than 420bhp, (395 ft lbs approx) they offer tuning packages on there web site for the JDM cars.

I am there on Thursday

Good luck

Ps. I am right and there wrong
Old 23 May 2010, 10:01 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Pete what you selling the bug for?? I thought you had finally got it to how you wanted it??
Old 23 May 2010, 10:49 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Just to confuse matters even further - I have been today to have a look at and buy a 2004 Blobeye Spec C Motorsport and it has air conditioning and electric windows.

Does anyone have any recommendations on modifying the car such as exhaust system etc I believe it has a standard system with a Genome silencer, how may cats are in the system and is it worth going for a decat or sports cat fitment?

I was seriously impressed with the acceleration and until I drove it I did not realise how much better a twin scroll car was, it had been previously mapped by Bob Rawle and would be again after any modifications had been carried out.
Old 23 May 2010, 11:08 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^ Miltek appears to be a popular choice, my 06 Spec C has a TSL pulse extraction system with a sports cat, it was fitted before I bought the car.

I have just had the latest Litchfield / Turbo Dynamics twin scroll turbo fitted, there are many models to chose from, I chose the LM420-S60 and mine is now running 420bhp
Old 24 May 2010, 12:02 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 555EFC
^^^^^^^^ Miltek appears to be a popular choice, my 06 Spec C has a TSL pulse extraction system with a sports cat, it was fitted before I bought the car.

I have just had the latest Litchfield / Turbo Dynamics twin scroll turbo fitted, there are many models to chose from, I chose the LM420-S60 and mine is now running 420bhp
Plz tell me more
Old 24 May 2010, 12:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by 555EFC
Ps. I am right and there wrong
Nope, im right none of the spec c's have "blueprinted/forged" engines, they all use the same pistons (hypereuetic) and the same engines, though the breathing mods changed on the 05 models.

Tony
Old 24 May 2010, 12:28 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Nope, im right none of the spec c's have "blueprinted/forged" engines, they all use the same pistons (hypereuetic) and the same engines, though the breathing mods changed on the 05 models.

Tony
Forged is just an easier way of saying hypereuetic and the RA-R and S204 have blue printed engines says so on the site and in the press unless you know something that Subaru JP dont.

Immy
Old 24 May 2010, 12:35 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Don't test Tony fella

TX.
Old 24 May 2010, 07:43 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres the spec list translated by Japanvehicles. It should list down most of the things you need to refer to for comparison.

2001-2002 RA Spec C http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...STiRA/main.htm

2003-2004 Spec C http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...X2004/main.htm (2003 Spec C Limited also introduced with A/C and power windows)

2005 Spec C http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...05/WRX2005.htm

2006 Spec C http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...WRX06/main.htm

2007 Spec C http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...WRX07/main.htm

2007 Spec C RA-R http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...pecC_RA-R/main
Old 24 May 2010, 08:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by juggers
Forged is just an easier way of saying hypereuetic and the RA-R and S204 have blue printed engines says so on the site and in the press unless you know something that Subaru JP dont.

Immy
The Hypereuetic pistons are cast, so they cant be forged as for blue printed engines, prodrive can do you one of those, will cost you twice the price of an RA-R new built to tighter tollerences, yes, but all STi engines are so it defeats the object anyway they are all the same engines, no differences, now if you want to see which engine STI tinkered with, that would be the S202's, they did some minor changes on that, but the latest twin scroll engines dont need that, they are fantastic as they are

Tony