ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2011 wrx sti uk type lack of spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2010, 10:05 PM
fuchaimps
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 wrx sti uk type lack of spoiler

I've been a bit saddened to realize that the uk sti isn't coming with a spoiler, are we the only ones? its looks empty without it, does anyone know why?
Old 15 September 2010, 10:36 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

seen one of these on the road and i quite like them
Old 15 September 2010, 10:42 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Appently its something to do with subaru Uk Warranty
Old 15 September 2010, 10:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Darc174
Appently its something to do with subaru Uk Warranty
Give over, it's the Japs' and IM's way of increasing the price even further.

Same as when the first cars were imported here, they came without rear wash-wipe, aircon, folding mirrors, decent seats, powerful engines, decent gearboxes, but we still bought 'em.

No wonder the Japs refer to the UK as Treasure Island
Old 15 September 2010, 11:08 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not an impreza and neither is it a wrx they have droped the names. It's called a Subaru sti in uk dealers.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:02 AM
G-string
Scooby Regular

what, its not even an option?
Old 16 September 2010, 08:31 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

This is all getting a bit desperate now.

The hatch is a UK sales failure (relative to its competitors i.e. recession adjusted), then there's all the confusion over the WRX, the STI engine failures galore with no official recall and the fact that there was to be no sedan in the range and now it is coming yet in the STI variant it has no spoiler like every other STI has had.... they just don't get it any more do they?

Look I know I get a lot of stick for beng a hatch hater etc. but truly I am just saying it like I see it. I am sure the people who have bought the hatch think it is wonderful and I know it is probably safer and maybe even faster and/or better than many other Imprezas, but I have driven one twice and neither time has it felt like an Impreza. All Scoobs from the classic to the hawkeye had the same 'feel'... a little bit of rawness to them combined with something different to the rest of the motoring world... the current car is just bland in evry respect.

Subaru are flogging a dead horse in the UK at least. Things have moved on and they have lost their way as far as what the majority of their followers and customers in the UK want.
Old 16 September 2010, 09:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well said.

The lack of spoiler and the bland "Rover 25" hatch just seems to be their way of distancing themselves from everything they stood for. And stood OUT for
Old 16 September 2010, 09:59 AM
Simon Green
Scooby Regular

The lack of spoiler is a purposeful move to get away from the 'chav' image the car has had in the past and to appeal to a wider market. A few people have already placed orders where they would have put off if it had the usual high level spoiler.
A low level spoiler will be available as an accessory.
I.M are looking into offering the STI high level spoiler as an option but it will require uprated boot struts and a different boot lid! The standard boot lid will flex too much with the high level spoiler fitted.
It actually doesn't look so bad without a spoiler as the boot is quite short and slopes upwards towards the rear.
Personally I would go for the high level spoiler but maybe I'm a chav at heart.
Old 16 September 2010, 10:27 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
This is all getting a bit desperate now.

The hatch is a UK sales failure (relative to its competitors i.e. recession adjusted), then there's all the confusion over the WRX, the STI engine failures galore with no official recall and the fact that there was to be no sedan in the range and now it is coming yet in the STI variant it has no spoiler like every other STI has had.... they just don't get it any more do they?

Look I know I get a lot of stick for beng a hatch hater etc. but truly I am just saying it like I see it. I am sure the people who have bought the hatch think it is wonderful and I know it is probably safer and maybe even faster and/or better than many other Imprezas, but I have driven one twice and neither time has it felt like an Impreza. All Scoobs from the classic to the hawkeye had the same 'feel'... a little bit of rawness to them combined with something different to the rest of the motoring world... the current car is just bland in evry respect.

Subaru are flogging a dead horse in the UK at least. Things have moved on and they have lost their way as far as what the majority of their followers and customers in the UK want.
Well said that man!

Old 16 September 2010, 10:47 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I know what you are saying but Subaru don't want to sell cars to people like you anymore, if it is only enthusists that were to keep the UK sales going they would be out of the market in no time at all, in this day and age they have to open up to the mass market, none of my friends would have even considered a WR blue big spoilered saloon over their euro boxes (not me) but in a few years that is the people that Subaru want to try and encourage to look at their cars.

Raw and nimble cars are all well and good but do not make sales for Subaru anymore and are a thing of the past, if you want a new car like that stick to Lotus, if you want a quick all rounder for not that much money then Subaru are still a good option.

You just cannot compare new and old, its like putting up a 1985 S1 RST against a 2010 Focus ST, the ST is better in every single way but the purists will say its just another euro box, it is but it has to be to meet EU requirements for a modern day car, as time goes on there will be less and less old skool cars around and everyone will have to start driving these sort of cars.

I remember my dad moaning about the same things 30 years ago when the first Sierra came out on an about an A plate, how it looked like a jelly mould and nothing like what a car should look like (think he had a cortina at the time), even though it had electric windows, central locking, onbaord computer etc and was miles ahead in tech they were still not met with great eunthusim by people who only knew and had grown up with 1970's fords.

Last edited by Abx; 16 September 2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
I know what you are saying but Subaru don't want to sell cars to people like you anymore, if it is only enthusists that were to keep the UK sales going they would be out of the market in no time at all, in this day and age they have to open up to the mass market, none of my friends would have even considered a WR blue big spoilered saloon over their euro boxes (not me) but in a few years that is the people that Subaru want to try and encourage to look at their cars.

Raw and nimble cars are all well and good but do not make sales for Subaru anymore and are a thing of the past, if you want a new car like that stick to Lotus, if you want a quick all rounder for not that much money then Subaru are still a good option.

You just cannot compare new and old, its like putting up a 1985 S1 RST against a 2010 Focus ST, the ST is better in every single way but the purists will say its just another euro box, it is but it has to be to meet EU requirements for a modern day car, as time goes on there will be less and less old skool cars around and everyone will have to start driving these sort of cars.

I remember my dad moaning about the same things 30 years ago when the first Sierra came out on an about an A plate, how it looked like a jelly mould and nothing like what a car should look like (think he had a cortina at the time), even though it had electric windows, central locking, onbaord computer etc and was miles ahead in tech they were still not met with great eunthusim by people who only knew and had grown up with 1970's fords.
All of which would be valid if Subaru's sales weren't on the floor in the UK even when adjusted for the 'recession'. Go and Google the Motor Trade's figures for the last couple of years if you don't believe me.

The reason your comparison does not stand uo to scrutiny is that Subaru unlike Ford et al are still a niche manufacturer and therefore need to offer something different.... they are not doing that any more and that is why in the UK at least they are probably history.... just a matter of when not if.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:22 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Simply put, Subaru is aniche car maker, and they should be making niche cars.
If they go head to head to other big players (ex Ford, VW)with their models loosing their character, but becoming more Ford/VW like they are going to come out with the short end of the stick every time.

People bought the older Impreza's not only for it's own character, but also it was NOT like another VW//Ford.If you choose to bring the Impreza closer to Golf or Focus models you lose a part of those customers, and probably gain very few of the Golf/Focus clientele (because, let's face it VW could rivet a Golf badge to a donkey cart, and still sell it)because their clientele is usually sticking to their Golf/Focus instead of buying a Golf/Focus equivalent car from another brand.

Even if the Hatch may well be a better/nimbler/faster/more comfortable car then all it's predeccesors,is that really what counts in sales??
Looking at the statistics, most likely not.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:41 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

That's the point, Subaru do not want to be a niche market anymore, they want to apeal to everyone and if that means becoming more mainstream then so be it, loosing a few people like us because we buy the Impreza due to rally background etc and gaining a small minorty from GM/Ford/VW is I'm sure what they are after, a minority share in the mainstream market will give Subaru (FHI) a far larger income than a bigger share in a smaller (performance) market, hope that makes sense!

For Subaru this is a long term plan, they accept to loose the battle today but hope to win the war in a few years, by win I mean sell 1% of the cars VW sell which is more than they probably sell at the moment!

The car market and new tax laws etc have most probably driven them to this decision as us people who pay £400+ road tax and high fuels bills and a dwinderling bunch, that and the fact cars have to be so safe nowadays that they could not even manage to make something like the classic inpreza of years gone by anymore, pedestrian safty, crumple zones etc all play their part.

At the end of the day Subaru want to make money, and they would do this far better by selling 100 2.0L deisel Hatchbacks @ 20k than 20 STI's @ 30k, apart from the extra revenue at point of purchase they will also benefit from continued servicing, parts etc as a revenue stream. Look at ford, the sale of their performance brand (RS/ST) is tiny in comparrison to the amount of base models they sell, Subaru would love to be there and that is where I believe they are trying to head.

By the way I'm in no way saying I agree with this approach!

Last edited by Abx; 16 September 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 16 September 2010, 01:06 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Green
A low level spoiler will be available as an accessory.
I.M are looking into offering the STI high level spoiler as an option but it will require uprated boot struts and a different boot lid! The standard boot lid will flex too much with the high level spoiler fitted.
Dont understand this one....

...reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3d7mQWoCs

Old 16 September 2010, 01:09 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
That's the point, Subaru do not want to be a niche market anymore, they want to apeal to everyone and if that means becoming more mainstream then so be it,
They will never become mainstream until they can sort fuel consumption out.

The basic hatch Impreza was a screaming 4x4 bargain... didn't sell to well though...

....first let me point out, I HATE DIESELS .. but, the rumoured STi Diesel may be the saviour of the company
Old 16 September 2010, 01:16 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I think we need to see what they bring out in 2012/13, from what I've heard it a replacement for the Impreza, if they take as bigger step as they did lookswise from the hawk to the hatch we could be in for an all new subaru.

Oh, and an STI diesel would have to be outstanding for me to consider!
Old 16 September 2010, 01:20 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Autocar report... 2 years after Auto Express.... its taking a while!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...mpreza/250386/
Old 16 September 2010, 02:23 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MICAWRX
Dont understand this one....

...reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3d7mQWoCs

Perhaps now you do?
http://www.subaru.jp/wrxsti/4dr/grade.html
Old 16 September 2010, 03:40 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Nope, re: the post before...does the A line have a weaker bootlid than the 'standard' STi?

Struts, I can imagine, bootlid?

Do IM think the british public are now more conservative and don't want the spoiler?? ha, maybe 5% of Subaru owners
Old 21 September 2010, 03:55 PM
Dirty Bus
Scooby Regular

Default Drove one

Had a drive in one yesterday and I love it. Looks better without wing
Old 21 September 2010, 06:15 PM
fuchaimps
Scooby Newbie

From what I understand, the A line is a model only available in Japan, its a comfy automatic version for the more genteel market

I don't think this is what we have here, I think we have the sti wingless, though I have read that some dealers will start offering it with the spoiler
Old 21 September 2010, 09:37 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

saw one today and i really liked it..deffo more aggressive than the hatch...imo would be even better with a high spoiler....
Old 23 September 2010, 10:32 PM
HT_Autos
Former Sponsor

Tooling has begun for the UK spoiler;

Name:  DSC02862.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  DSC02864.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB

Mark @ HTAutos
Old 23 September 2010, 10:46 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT_Autos
Tooling has begun for the UK spoiler;

Mark @ HTAutos

Now thats the coolest thing i have seen in a while!!!!
Old 03 October 2010, 06:11 PM
HT_Autos
Former Sponsor

Few pics of prototype spoilers!!!

Name:  2011_saloon-Spoiler_impreza_sti_wrx.jpg
Size:  68.5 KB
Name:  PICT0801.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0058.jpg
Size:  51.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0044.jpg
Size:  40.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0033.jpg
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  PICT0804.jpg
Size:  58.6 KB
Name:  PICT0788.jpg
Size:  61.9 KB

Mark @ HTAutos

Last edited by HT_Autos; 03 October 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03 October 2010, 06:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the white spoiler doesn't look the same colour as the car.
Old 03 October 2010, 06:47 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

Looks good, liking it more and more.
Old 03 October 2010, 08:44 PM
HT_Autos
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Probably the lighting, lot of pearl in the white.
Old 03 October 2010, 09:28 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Originally Posted by HT_Autos
Probably the lighting, lot of pearl in the white.
Having seen the aforementioned car at the launch event it is a pearlescent paint and the paint is matched well, it is just the lighting.

Quick Reply: 2011 wrx sti uk type lack of spoiler