Newcomer to Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2013, 12:38 AM
Baraldus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newcomer to Subaru

Hey all,

I was directed here by one of my mates (BULLITT) as im currently researching to buy an STi.

I have past experience with Honda (Civic Type R) and Nissan (370Z) but never owned a Subaru. I quite like the 5 door hatchback but I also like the older models. The reason why I have decided on an STi is because I dont want to change to something lower performance than the Nissan but id really like to try an AWD car. From there I only really thought about an EVO or STi. And from what I can see the only thing I like more about the EVO than the Subaru is the interior.
After doing some basic research I think I will like the Subaru more and its cheaper to run than the EVO.
Insurance for example for a standard STi (10 plate) is around £575/year... thats £125 less that i paid for the 370Z!!!

My current budget will be around 17k. I have started looking at 2010 plate 5 door models. But looking around the classifieds my mate has suggested I consider older models and save some cash.
So im also looking for well kept, low miles, standard and excellent condition models.

Give you an idea 2 models caught my eye so far but are completely different (not sure if i can post links):

2010 STi (10) with 15k miles and excellent condition.
Full Subaru SH, 1 owner etc.
This one is on the Subaru web site for £17995
Think this only has powder coated OEM wheels apart from that looks standard.

2004 STi (04) with near 18k miles, looks pristine.
Full Subaru SH, 1 owner etc.
This is up for £11950 with an independant dealer.
Saw this one on Autotrader and looks like a very well kept example.

So this got me thinkin do I stick for a newer hatch STi or save a few grand and go with an older model?

What id like to know really are your opinions and suggestions. As well as things like common faults and things I need to consider. Im sure buying a near 10 year old Subaru (even with very low milage) may have issues in the near future.

Suppose one benefit of buying the hatch from Subaru I get an extension of the warranty upto 1 year. Its less than 3 years old and low miles.
The older STi however caught my eye since ive always like that version, plus its in black which I love.
I can easily get to the hatch STi though since that in Leeds. The older model is way down south so it would take a good convo plus some pics from the dealer before id get a train down there.

So im all ears people?

Thanks

Bri
Old 19 March 2013, 01:14 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately for you, the Type 20 in the forum 'sales' section only just sold. That is a stunner.
This one caught my eye recently, think it might be an ex members too.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ly-19k/1081976
Old 19 March 2013, 07:53 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with the chap above. That Spec C looks good.

I've no personal experience of this, but if you're looking at the 2.5 litre cars (ie 06 onwards), have a read of this topic first:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-failures.html

If you're looking at earlier cars, remember they're all approaching 8 years old now, and they do rust, so check carefully, especially around the front subframe which can be well hidden behind the plastic undertray.

Now all you have to do is wait for the UK vs JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) model argument to take over your thread! (Although the JDM is obviously the far superior car of course.... I'll get me coat.)

Incidentally, anything with 'Litchfield' in the model designation would be my choice, given your budget:

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/

Last edited by Osimabu; 19 March 2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 19 March 2013, 08:46 AM
Octoposse
Scooby Newbie

If you're concerned about interiors (like me!) consider a Spec D . . . gives you full leather in a 'D'iscreet package.

My favourite Impreza and you'll get a good one for less than £8k.

Others will disagree!
Old 19 March 2013, 08:57 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

You'll get an 08/58 hatch for about 13k with sub 40k on the clock, spend a bit more and you'll find one with a forged engine. A premium spec euro import has all the toys the 330s has and will be a fair bit cheaper, think there is a black one on PH at the moment.
Old 19 March 2013, 09:15 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Nice forged example.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...i-2008/1186685

Last edited by Abx; 19 March 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 19 March 2013, 12:33 PM
Baraldus
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

Ill have a read through that other thread.
Rust is something I didnt think about so will definitely checking into that.

I havent really considered other specs or variants yet. There is so much to look into.
But I like the research part.

I spend a good 2-3 months researching the 370Z before I found the right one for me.
Old 19 March 2013, 06:46 PM
Baraldus
Scooby Newbie

Wow that engine failure thread is pretty epic! Im only on page 10!!! :-/

Seems i got lots to think about...
Old 19 March 2013, 08:20 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Not really. You want a 2.0 litre JDM car, either Blob (2002 - 5 model years, 2005 is probably best) or Hawk (2006 - 7), preferably modified by Litchfields to T20 spec.

It's simple in fact, and with your budget, you've got the choice of the best available.