Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Gauges, more the merrier?

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2013, 09:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=GAZ2293;11114942]For the toucan and sensor pack(but you might need one or two more) and loom is around £800 then you need either a syvecs or simtek/Alcatek so around £2.5k all in on the syvecs or closer to £2k for the latter option, Makes defis sound cheap now

Bee Jesus I can rebuild my engine twice for £2.5k.

I have Prosports and they have been great (so far) the guy on naisoc sounds as much of a d1ck head as his ex boss, I've worked for a few self made **** heads over the years and they were all the same, the funniest thing one said to me was "if your not happy with your pay and conditions, seek alternative employment" which as it happened was sound advice, the look on his face a week later when I handed in my notice was priceless, I was offered 3 jobs and got a £5k pay rise, I only asked for £1k off him, never looked back.
Old 09 June 2013, 09:24 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=ditchmyster;11115321]
Originally Posted by GAZ2293
For the toucan and sensor pack(but you might need one or two more) and loom is around £800 then you need either a syvecs or simtek/Alcatek so around £2.5k all in on the syvecs or closer to £2k for the latter option, Makes defis sound cheap now

Bee Jesus I can rebuild my engine twice for £2.5k.

I have Prosports and they have been great (so far) the guy on naisoc sounds as much of a d1ck head as his ex boss, I've worked for a few self made **** heads over the years and they were all the same, the funniest thing one said to me was "if your not happy with your pay and conditions, seek alternative employment" which as it happened was sound advice, the look on his face a week later when I handed in my notice was priceless, I was offered 3 jobs and got a £5k pay rise, I only asked for £1k off him, never looked back.

the guy sounds a dick but he only distributes the gauges anyway as the are not a u.s. company.

I had stepper gauges which were great and now evo ones which do the job just as well
Old 09 June 2013, 09:33 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Would be nice if you could fit the toucan into the double din hole on facelift classics, would look great and oem
Old 09 June 2013, 10:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JTinnovations
There are 3 colour schemes (red, green, white) that suit the majority of instrument colours...and no one has ever asked for a different colour scheme. That said, I hope to introduce a "choose your own colour" option in a later update. FYI updates have been made available to all users, no matter how long they've had their unit, and free of charge

If you pod mount it it will definitely turn out like a psi data monitor? Personally I think the toucan need to be larger as its too small for my liking.

Although it can monitor a few settings its not really any bigger than a modern phone screen and that's too much info for such a small device.

People spend a lot of money on things such as gauges as they want to be able to see them and show them off?? the toucan is too small and too black and white for most buyers??
Old 09 June 2013, 10:20 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
If you pod mount it it will definitely turn out like a psi data monitor? Personally I think the toucan need to be larger as its too small for my liking.

Although it can monitor a few settings its not really any bigger than a modern phone screen and that's too much info for such a small device.

People spend a lot of money on things such as gauges as they want to be able to see them and show them off?? the toucan is too small and too black and white for most buyers??
Horses for courses - I've sold way more than I ever thought, given such a limited installed base of Syvecs and AlcaTek ecu's so I know I've got something right And "a few settings"...pardon me, but I think not

You don't like it, that's fine, and I respect your opinion
Old 09 June 2013, 10:52 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the 2nd pic Jura it looks like it could be made to fit in the top heater vents and with a bit more work still allow use of the vents, Would be easier to blank the vents and fit the hazard switch on one side of it and cal switch or whatever the other side to get the OEM(ish)look, You might need to trim back the inner heater pipe work behind the vents to make room depending on the depth of the toucan, I think it would be a bit more difficult on the bug/early blob because of the cup holder, It would need a new custom replacement to look right IMO.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 09 June 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09 June 2013, 10:58 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Looking at the 2nd pic Jura it looks like it could be made to fit in the top heater vents and with a bit more work still allow use if the vents, Or blank the vents and fit the hazard switch on one side if it and cal switch or whatever the other side to get the OEM look.
Don't need the CAL switch as Toucan does that...but, yes, I did wonder about a solution along those lines
Old 12 June 2013, 07:09 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTinnovations
Will be launching support for a whole load more after-market ECUs in a month or so...and then OEM ECU support is next on the list
I could possibly be interested in this.

Would it be abke to control map selection on racerom? As im not keen on the whole pedal and fog button method.
A nice feature I like after watching a video from your site is selecting a map with no ignition which is password protected. Very handy to prevent potential theft, but I assume it would use a map from racerom leavihg me with 1 again

I really do like the toucan and its features i think its safe to say youd gain more custom if its compatible with ecutek

Edit: a larger screen may be a good sale booster too, id try to fit it to the clock center pod with a mechanism so it raises up and down on ignition sequence, now im wishfully thinking

Last edited by DantheMan2605; 12 June 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12 June 2013, 07:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DantheMan2605
I

Edit: a larger screen may be a good sale booster too, id try to fit it to the clock center pod with a mechanism so it raises up and down on ignition sequence, now im wishfully thinking

What a bigger screen? who would of thought that?? Don't tell Tim as he gets a little upset about his baby
Old 12 June 2013, 07:59 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

What a bigger screen? who would of thought that?? Don't tell Tim as he gets a little upset about his baby
Maybe, as he has mentioned, he is open to suggestions to further improve/upgrade the product.

So perhaps he could add an xl screen version aswell the normal size screen version? Im sure the thought has crossed his mind before now.

If more potential buyers bring it to attention, maybe the idea can be developed. Im not talking a screen big enough to fill the double din. Just enough to be able to work out the gauge readings.

Personally im keeping a watchful eye on this products developments.
Old 12 June 2013, 08:53 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

As I said Steve, not everyone will like it and that's fine. I will try and correct any misinformation I come across on forums since, as a very small company, our reputation - as well as sales lol - need to be maintained

Of course I'm proud of "my" baby - but I'm not precious about it. It needs to grow up and become better, and it is not perfect, I know that. As I said before, it's not intended to be a full dash - it is a monitoring product. View it like that, and the screen size is not quite so important: it's a versatile 52mm gauge. IMHO

Originally Posted by DantheMan2605
Maybe, as he has mentioned, he is open to suggestions to further improve/upgrade the product.

So perhaps he could add an xl screen version aswell the normal size screen version? Im sure the thought has crossed his mind before now.

If more potential buyers bring it to attention, maybe the idea can be developed. Im not talking a screen big enough to fill the double din. Just enough to be able to work out the gauge readings.

Personally im keeping a watchful eye on this products developments.
Definitely open to suggestions - have added loads of functionality as a result of customer feedback. Only today I heard that a well known R35 GTR was saved by the newly added "lean-out" alarm that had been suggested to me by another GTR owner. He wondered why the "bloody Toucan" kept beeping at him...consulted with his mapper who, after investigation, found that a blocked fuel supply (swarf from a newly made - and uncleaned - swirl pot) was indeed causing a lean-out under boost. The beeping had caused him to stop ragging the car on the strip, and if he'd carried on, who knows

Yes, an XL screen is likely, but this will be many months away.

EcuTek are on the case, but they move slowly: however map switching on RaceRom will definitely be available . EcuTek will decide the rollout though, so I can't tell you (yet) when - or, to be cautious, if - it might appear for Subaru.
Old 12 June 2013, 10:02 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
yummy 7 gauges, **** me I won't be able to see the road.

You probably wouldn't be looking at it much anyway !

All that data input could overload the neural processor.

Possibly also get all-round radar to warn you when you're about to hit something.

Anyway, has a voltmeter been mentioned yet?
It must be vital because my PSI3 is very fond of flashing a 'battery voltage high' message.
Old 12 June 2013, 11:04 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As above people suggest Tim,bigger display(perhaps XXL version) will be great addition and many people will choose more

Replacement for PSI Data monitor like is Toucan will be awesome bit of kit for many people over here and elsewhere

If its budget for above people Digital dash is second option,but still you will need to have fitted all sensors(oil pressure,oil temp,AFR,EGT etc),some dashes offer OBD functions,but still you are will be limited with the OBD parameters which you can receive/sent,but before jumping on the Race/Digital Dash ask yourself do you really need this etc. and plus decide from this what is suit best yours budget(MoTeC ADL or GEMS search for prices and you will see,what I've mean with this)

Jura
Old 12 June 2013, 11:58 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Something like this would be good......

Or

Old 13 June 2013, 12:18 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Does it speak?

!!/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
< "Good morning MattyB1986, initial startup scan indicates that all parts are >
< functioning correctly. I have therefore disengaged the ignition failsafe. .>
< You are free to initiate launch sequence. Have a nice day .>
!!\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Old 13 June 2013, 12:45 AM
4evernewbie
Scooby Regular

People have mentioned double DIN. Why not single DIN?
Would be more versatile and applicable to more customers.
How about a "custom" size that would fit squarely in the conventional pod that sits at the top of the dash, in place of triple guages?

More general question though; where are people mounting these extra gauges? After the triple pod dash, and assuming they're not going on the pillar that is.
I've recently purchased Defi's as I think they look factory fit when they match the clocks and that wins it for me every time.
As Tubby and a few others have mentioned, nobody wants plasticky looking add-ons in their dash.
Paul.
Old 13 June 2013, 01:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Single din version will be great thing,but this means you will end with something like has been PSI with colour display

Good idea is made custom gauge pod where will be fitted this Toucan,I think its great idea

If you are running OE ECU then gauges are only way(or PSI) to monitor all data

Gauges are great thing,but still prefer Race dash with Toucan,inside looks much simpler and mainly if we want have all gauges for all parameters we will end again with 8-9 gauges and again start up will looks like in battleship/jet fighter

Jura
Old 13 June 2013, 06:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=jura11;11119475 start up will looks like in battleship/jet fighter
Jura[/QUOTE]

Old 13 June 2013, 06:33 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4evernewbie

More general question though; where are people mounting these extra gauges? After the triple pod dash, and assuming they're not going on the pillar that is.
Paul.
I have a V1/3 dash pod that goes on the right above the oem instruments next to the pillar/screen, I had to trim it slightly to fit the new age but I think it's a better position than the centre pod as it's more in the line of sight, i'll put the oil Pressure/ AFR and fuel pressure there and have boost on the pillar, and the rest in a centre pod, but as long as you set your alarms well within safe parameters there's no need to keep watching them.

For me the biggest problem with toucan and the likes is still cost, I understand the obvious benefits but on a £3/4k car another £2.5 is a bit of a bridge too far, as I said in a previous post I can build a couple of engines for that kind of dosh, or even buy a few too, for those with £10/12k in the engine alone it's a different story but it's still steep.
Old 13 June 2013, 09:18 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I have a V1/3 dash pod that goes on the right above the oem instruments next to the pillar/screen, I had to trim it slightly to fit the new age but I think it's a better position than the centre pod as it's more in the line of sight, i'll put the oil Pressure/ AFR and fuel pressure there and have boost on the pillar, and the rest in a centre pod, but as long as you set your alarms well within safe parameters there's no need to keep watching them.

For me the biggest problem with toucan and the likes is still cost, I understand the obvious benefits but on a £3/4k car another £2.5 is a bit of a bridge too far, as I said in a previous post I can build a couple of engines for that kind of dosh, or even buy a few too, for those with £10/12k in the engine alone it's a different story but it's still steep.

Ditch,
I also had the earlt shape dash. I fitted my gauges like below and think its probably as 'factory look' as you can get with this dash.

(The middle gauge was swapped for a stepper shortly after pic)
Old 13 June 2013, 09:24 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

In fairness your appraisal of his product was rather critical. That does tend to rub one up the wrong way.
Old 13 June 2013, 10:16 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

It wasn't meant that way and I apologise if it came out that way
Old 13 June 2013, 11:39 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

It wasn't meant that way and I apologise if it came out that way
In areas of my work there's a need for what's termed a 'critical friend', a devil's advocate.

Unfortunately the better you are at it, (or the less able the managers or directors you're trying to convince) the higher the risk of simply being regarded as bloody-minded, awkward or even a luddite.

I think this thread's provided a good bit of CR at little or no cost to JT Inno.

Fwiw I think the Toucan is a brilliant idea but it's ability and hence appeal are severely restricted by the screen and consequently the lack of versatility and ease of use.
It's like putting a scooby engine in a fiesta but being unable to uprate the brakes, wheels etc.

I understand the (frustrating????????) problems re. developing a display that does the insides and the thinking behind them justice.
Old 13 June 2013, 01:49 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not go the whole hog and fit it with a CD/DVD player in a 7" double din...Audable alarms would come through the speakers above the music level
Old 13 June 2013, 02:12 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not go the whole hog and fit it with a CD/DVD player in a 7" double din...Audable alarms would come through the speakers above the music level
skip to 1m 40secs

Last edited by banny sti; 13 June 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 13 June 2013, 03:02 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Personally not a fan of lots of gauges, as Tim said, why not tlet the tech do the work for you and concentrate on the road.

Then when alarms go off, the infos there straight away.

I built a carpc to run the syvecs monitoring software (also configurable alarms) before the syvecs came out, which worked very well for monitoring, but the syvecs does a much better job with more functionality and is there all the time, so i can still keep an eye on stuff when running satnav/tunes.

Definately had to recess the toucan into a vent though, still not overly OE, but gets it out the way.

Old 13 June 2013, 09:41 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Something like this would be good......

Or

Now that 1st picture I like. Mated together with the center pod on a newage somehow with automated pop up and down feature on ignition