Notices

4 wheel alignment - Perth or Progrip?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2009, 10:09 AM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel alignment - Perth or Progrip?

Just fitted 4 new proxes and about to get the alignment done. Im torn between the easy drive to Perth wheres theres a garage that can set the alignment and alter the suspension to AWD Perth custom settings (anyone used this service?????) or alternatively drive to Pro grip. The other side of the coin is that Im wanting to get the best out of my suspension which is top of the line Ohlin Coilovers.

Thoughts/experience??
Old 11 January 2009, 11:39 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the best of suspension then its worth the trip to get the best set up .
Old 11 January 2009, 12:48 PM
Maxxed_Ross
Scooby Regular

Progrip every time

John as a perfectionist when it come to set up
Old 11 January 2009, 01:09 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Default progrip

Progrip it is.
Ive now got another slight niggle, Ive just replaced the tyres on my Advan wheels which came over from Japan with non uk spec rubber fitted. Ive just put a set of new 4 proxes on which were a direct replacement for the yoko's which were no good due to tyre type (ditch finders) but noticed that the size is 215.45.17. Theres much said about tyre sizes and the optimum size appears to be 40.Im hoping this hasnt been an expensive mistake on my part ??????? Theyve only got 14 miles on them. The other side of ther coin is they dont appear to rub, the suspension is firm so theres little movement. Thoughts???
Old 11 January 2009, 01:23 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the following link it shows you the effect of the different profile. It will knock your speedo out by a very small amount ( 3.6% )

Visual Tyre Size Calculator | Kouki Tech
Old 11 January 2009, 01:30 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
If you use the following link it shows you the effect of the different profile. It will knock your speedo out by a very small amount ( 3.6% )

Visual Tyre Size Calculator | Kouki Tech
I can live with the speedo being out slightly the cars for track blasts and the odd sunday run. I guess when its in Progrip I'll ask the guy to have a proper look and see what the deal is. I'll be a bit f@cked of if I end up having to change them given that Ive driven from ATS in Perth to Crieff and all I did was change the tyres (like for like size) to something more suitable.

That all said I cant here them rubbing and theres little play in the suspension, shes rock!
Old 11 January 2009, 09:36 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

I doubt you will have a problem with the 45 profile, at worse, not a problem that can't be resolved by John tweeking ride height etc. a little.

As mentioned above, you've spent a lot of money on the suspension, why waste it with dodgy setup ?

Progrip, and Kenneth Bown Motor Engineers in Hillington are the only two people who touch my car
Old 12 January 2009, 12:46 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rtm4676
Progrip it is.
Ive now got another slight niggle, Ive just replaced the tyres on my Advan wheels which came over from Japan with non uk spec rubber fitted. Ive just put a set of new 4 proxes on which were a direct replacement for the yoko's which were no good due to tyre type (ditch finders) but noticed that the size is 215.45.17. Theres much said about tyre sizes and the optimum size appears to be 40.Im hoping this hasnt been an expensive mistake on my part ??????? Theyve only got 14 miles on them. The other side of ther coin is they dont appear to rub, the suspension is firm so theres little movement. Thoughts???
ive been running a 215/45/17 R888 on my classic for the better part of a year now without any kind of rubbing or issue`s
Old 12 January 2009, 09:52 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

PM sent to OP
Old 14 January 2009, 02:02 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

absolutely under no circumstances use the guys in perth,have heard real horror stories and experienced it first hand. ive used hypertech with good results but am going to give progrip a try this time.
notice you mention crieff,you local to me?
Old 14 January 2009, 07:16 PM
Car Security Expert
Scooby Regular

The guys at AWD in perth are spot on. They know Subaru's inside out so you can be sure your car is in capable hands.

Hypertech and Progrip are the best options in the central belt..
Old 14 January 2009, 11:40 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby222
absolutely under no circumstances use the guys in perth,have heard real horror stories and experienced it first hand. ive used hypertech with good results but am going to give progrip a try this time.
notice you mention crieff,you local to me?
Im a Crieffer, just picked up a type r blue in colour. You local to me? In fairness to AWD they have only suggested a guy in Perth centre who can set up suspension providing he's given the settings. Ive had a full service just completed at AWD along with some light electrical work to sort out my guages and controllers etc and the guys were excellent. Pricey but excellent! Ive decided to go to progrip, they appear to get the
Old 15 January 2009, 12:38 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

sorry should have made that clear,grant andy and the guys at awd are top class-they set my suspension up by eye and it feels pretty good!! but i believe they use target for geo and theyre terrible.
yea im a crieff boy too,blue newage sti with licence ending drs,il keep an eye out for you
dave
Old 19 January 2009, 06:17 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

I'd never go to Target again. a waste of space to put it politely.