View Single Post
Old 19 July 2011, 03:35 PM
Morg_STI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Hawkeye STI coolant problem

Hi fellas,

I've had a bit of a look round using the search facility but nothing seems specific enough to answer my query.

I went on a "spirited" drive today for about 10 or so miles. When I stopped I allowed the car to idle for around 1 minute before turning off. I got out for a cig break and could hear it start to bubble under the bonnet. I took a look under and the coolant tank was bubbling quite heavily, to the point where it came past the rad cap and some went on the floor.

I started it back up and allowed it to tick over for another 10 or so minutes then did another 3-4 miles of spirited driving. I let the car tick over for another 5 mins before turning it off, and the bubbling came back (although not as vigorously).

I then drove the same route home but at a relaxed pace and had none of these issues. My coolant is topped up to full, my temperature gauge never budged and my heaters still work (there is no mayo on my oil cap either). It doesnt bubble when the engine is on, only once turned off.

I've owned my Subaru for just over a month now, and this is the first time this has happened. Its a standard car with 28k miles on the clock.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Morg_STI; 19 July 2011 at 03:54 PM.